Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Question about the burbs...sorta

So I live in the suburbs of Detroit. I'd love to live in Detroit, but with the crime and lack of business that open in the city in many areas that isn't going to happen.

Personally I feel that Detroit has wasted away for many reasons, one being that the suburban area of Detroit just seems to build and build farther and farther away from the city. Detroit has this problem that when something in the city gets old, it doesn't get repaired or replaced in the city, it gets replaced, but in the suburbs. You own a large buisiness and your buildings a pile of crap in the city because you have been located there 80 years???? No problem, just move to the burbs! I know that this is not the only problem that Detroit has, and it's not the only reason that business leaves the city, but we seem to have this problem around here that things must continue to move north. It should be stopped.

But, why wouldn't a business move from the city to a suburb if they think it's better for them? You said yourself: you won't live in the city. If someone wants to sell you widgets or serve you breakfast, they are going to go where you are.

I'm not blaming you--there's a lot of valid reasons that a person wouldn't want to live in Detroit. I think the city is turning a corner, and there are more and more reasons why a person would want to live in the city. The hope is, as more people move back in, it starts to snowball. New businesses spring up to serve them, which in turn attracts more people, and so on. It won't happen overnight, but over time.

Also worth noting, though, are the ways that government has subsidized sprawl. As the economy stagnates, this will likely dry up--the funding for new roads/city infrastructure out to more remote exurb subdivisions, the tax abatements, and things like that. Denser neighborhoods closer to an urban core are cheaper for everyone.

That's what I wish would happen. Stop the sprawl. I mean come on, we are past 30 mile road and still building while areas just go to waste in Detroit. Drives me nuts.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    That's what I wish would happen. Stop the sprawl. I mean come on, we are past 30 mile road and still building while areas just go to waste in Detroit. Drives me nuts.
    If there wasn't a demand for it, they wouldn't build it. Most people do not want to live in the city of Detroit.

For those who do want to live in Detroit, more power to them. But that fact of the matter is that Detroit is not a desirable place to live for most people, especially if they have children. People have the freedom to live wherever they chose to as long as they have the means to do so.

Yeah, but it would be if suburban sprawl wouldn't be so prominent around here. Other cities have this, but no where near as bad as Detroit. I simply want to live in Detroit so I can be closer to downtown, but I don't want to live in the city in the state that it is in right now.

So you made the decison to not move into the city and you want to stop other people from making the same decison?

The only thing that is going to stop the sprawl is people like you deciding to reverse the trend and move back to the city. There is no other solution. All the fancy rule making and incentives will not make one iota of difference until people just decide to move back.The crime rate is not going to improve, the buildings aren't going to get better, the schools won't get better, the taxes aren't going to get any lower, and the government is not going to improve until ordinary citizens decide it is time to move back and improve the city.

DC48080 Guest

What incentive do "ordinary citizens," when they are perfectly happy living where they are, have to move into Detroit? Answer: None.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Yeah, but it would be if suburban sprawl wouldn't be so prominent around here. Other cities have this, but no where near as bad as Detroit. I simply want to live in Detroit so I can be closer to downtown, but I don't want to live in the city in the state that it is in right now.
    No one wants to live in the City of Detroit right now. The crime rate is high, drug dealers, thugs and gangs roam the neighborhoods; neighborhoods are disappearing; taxes are high, response time to fires and shootings, break ins, robberies is low; City services are non-existent; City leaders are corrupt for the most part; schools are sub-par;....do you see any incentives there? Businesses move to suburbs for reasons like lower taxes; less theft; safer environment for you to shop in or do business with; carjackings are practically non existent.
    Ordinary citizens will never move back into the City until its' cleaned up its' act...and right now, it doesn't look like much is being done to do that. Police and Fire is understaffed, equipment is falling apart, and there is no hope that this will be changing any time in the near future. If I were a young person with small children to raise, Detroit would be the last place I'd look to move into. Face it, the suburbs are safer.

It's because there is no land usage policy in the metropolitan area, other than what they implemented around Ann Arbor.

I've reached the conclusion that a lot of people in the region have no desire to identify with Detroit. They do not have the city-centric mindset that is common in most cities. There is no desire to maintain history and legacy here. When's the last time you heard some proclaim with admiration that they're a "Detroiter." Outside of sports, there is little prideful attachment to Detroit. Almost every city in America has urban problems, but instead of battling back against these problems on their home turf, people here just abandon the entire area and move away. Some people will even move based on the rumor of such things. There is no fight to preserve our history here, just a whole lot of running away.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    There is no fight to preserve our history here, just a whole lot of running away.
    It isn't about not wanting to preserve history, it is about locating your family and raising your children in a safe, nurturing and healthy environment. Trying to raise children in Detroit, if you have the means to do it elsewhere, is tantamount to child endangerment.

You have to choose your "fights" carefully. Some are not worth fighting.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I've reached the conclusion that a lot of people in the region have no desire to identify with Detroit. They do not have the city-centric mindset that is common in most cities. There is no desire to maintain history and legacy here. When's the last time you heard some proclaim with admiration that they're a "Detroiter." Outside of sports, there is little prideful attachment to Detroit. Almost every city in America has urban problems, but instead of battling back against these problems on their home turf, people here just abandon the entire area and move away. Some people will even move based on the rumor of such things. There is no fight to preserve our history here, just a whole lot of running away.
    I will proclaim it right now, I'm a Detroiter. Born, raised, educated in, worked for, married in, worshipped in, raised kids in, began educating my kids in, and fought for. I love the history of Detroit, loved the older buildings, homes and landmarks. I didn't leave the City in disarray [[I say that because most of the blame for the condition the city is in today is blamed on suburbanites and white flight) but it was evident that bad things were happening and I felt the need to leave for my family and their well-being.
    I would still be there today, in the little three bedroom bungalow where four of us lived comfortably for 30 years and was paid for, except for the fact that the people who moved onto my once beautiful street didn't have the same "city-centric mindset" that I had. They were not interested in keeping the neighborhood as nice as it was when they came, let alone to preserve it's legacy or history. They were only interested in making sure my life, as well as most of the older, more established neighbors a living hell. Where our lawns were once manicured, they became parking lots and landfills. I used to be able to sit on our front porch but after listening to foul language, screaming and yelling at each other, boom box music and total disrespect from these people, I had to sequester myself inside and shut the doors and windows. Many of the homes that were spotless became inhabitable for most human beings, but not some.
    You ask anyone who moved out of Detroit back in the late 70's, the 80's and 90's why they left and if they are honest, they will tell you the same thing.
    Since Coleman Young was elected as Mayor in Detroit, the idea of preserving anything or designating a home as a historical landmark was forgotten.
    I am a Detroiter and always will be, but I am saddened by what the City has become and the horrible reputation it has. It was a great place to live at one time....too bad it isn't today.

I know that there are many Detroiters who stayed and fought, but those that did are losing because of those who left. Everyone could have left NYC in the 80s when it was a total hellhole. Prostitutes, junkies and drug dealers on every corner. XXX shops lined Times Square, buildings were abandoned, windows were broken out and buildings were looted. Homeless people slept on the sidewalk and in doorways, etc. Some people did flee NYC, but most stayed, even though it was probably cheaper to move and the environment in the city was anything but glamorous like it is today. In Chicago, the city rioted too, the mayor called in the national guard to suppress the violence. Chicago has gangs and crime, crippling poverty, poor schools, etc. Chicago's crime was so bad that they stopped reporting to the FBI for statistical purposes because they wanted to save face. And while some people left for Chicago's suburbs, most people stayed. In contrast, almost everyone in Detroit left at the first sign of problems. Only a handful stayed and fought for their neighborhoods. Those who left made it hard for those who stayed to continue to fight and succeed.

The worst part is, this hasn't stopped. Nothing's changed. The inner-ring suburbs are being abandoned by the same people who initially fled Detroit. Those people are on run north and west, further out to into the prairie. Instead of staying and defending their neighborhood, their house, their playgrounds, schools, family, neighbors, and friends, they just run away. That's why they can't take pride in a place, because they never stay long enough to build a history. Instead of confronting problems, they don't want to be bothered, so they just flee and then point their fingers. Some will even chastise those who decided to say and try and preserve their way of life.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-27-10 at 03:02 PM.

Buy American: I think anyone who once lived in Detroit can identify with your frustration and sadness.I feel your pain. But your anger leads you to make some wild charges that don't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.
    Detroit's white population dropped by more than 350,000 in the 50s, and continued to drop in the 60s, especially after the riot. Coleman You didn't take office until 1974, when white flight, the crime rate, joblessness and all sorts of patholgies had been growing for more than 20 years. Plenty of things have been preserved since Coleman Young became mayor, and any good things have happened in general, even though the city has continued to decline and decay overall.
    And you say no one wants to move into Detroit these days. That's not true, either. Midtown, downtown, southwest Detroit, Corktown and probably other neighborhoods have noticeable numbers of new residents. Many of them are young, white end educated. This trend was recently cited in the a release from the Census Bureau. Are more people moving out than moving in? Definitely.Are your critiques about the understaffing in public safety accurate? Definitely. Is Detroit in terrible shape overall? Definitely.
    But it's a big city. Many things happen at once. Like it has for a half century, Detroit both declines and improves simultaneously, though the decline still outweighs the improvements.
    Last edited by Carey; November-27-10 at 03:20 PM.

Buy American Guest

Detroit isn't just Midtown, Corktown, downtown or Southwest Detroit. I didn't live in those areas when I did live there. I lived on the lower east side while growing up and attending school...as did my parents and my grandparents did. I would guess my entire family arrived in Detroit around the late 1990's, so I feel qualified to speak about Detroit. To blame people for leaving Detroit is being unfair.
    I don't know a thing about NYC or Chicago for that matter, but I do know about my experience while living in Detroit. I can only speak from what I've lived through and saw with my own eyes.

"The inner-ring suburbs are being abandoned by the same people who initially fled Detroit."
    Can anyone answer this statement.

DetroitPole Guest

To the usual gang of idiots:

Many people chose to live in Detroit. I am one of them. I am not "no one."

There is something in between living in Detroit and living past 30 Mile road, as the initial poster has alluded to. No, you don't need to live in Detroit, but in case you haven't noticed, we have plenty of room in the existing suburbs and our population has not grown in 30 years.

Aside from not appearing to be a question, the original post didn't really seem to be about why people left Detroit, but rather a suggestion that the continued outward sprawl of the region [[despite negligible population growth) is undesirable.

I completely agree with this, but it seems to me that Southeast Michigan has no effective regional plan or planning body, hence essentially no rules. Given no rules, road-focused transportation funding, and no physical barriers, sprawl is what happens everywhere. Even where you have strong planning and more balanced transportation approaches, it is still very hard to stop sprawl, but in southeast Michigan it is pretty much hopeless.

My guess is that if it is stopped, it will be because we realize that we don't want to spend the money to build and maintain more infrastructure for fewer people, but you can expect an awful lot of gnashing of teeth before that premise is generally accepted. Michigan's rapid transformation from a relatively rich to a relatively poor state means we can't afford to be as stupid as we have been traditionally, but I doubt it has increased our collective intelligence.

As people leave Detroit, and move into the "inner ring" of suburbs, the crime, drugs, etc. move with them, so in X number of years, people won't want to live in Harper Woods, East Pointe, Warren, etc..., but will move farther out, and the cycle will continue. I have relatives who thought their Warren neighborhood would stay nice for many years......WRONG! It is gradually becoming just as bad as Detroit, so they are looking to move WAY out...into the Thumb, but NOT Port Huron..for the same reason.

I live in an inner ring burb. I have my whole life for the most part. I have spent many days and nights in Detrioit also.For one I don't really like my house, Two I bought at the wrong time and, Three my City is broke and cutting stuff .
    I don't wanna end up like my Grandpa getting 10 cents on the dollar for my house.
    I don't live the Hip Hop life and won't. I admit I ain't Ward Cleaver or the model suburbanite, Yet I don't wanna end up the only person on my block, mowing my lawn when all the others are a foot tall.
    I am old enough to remember going to the corner butcher shop, playing in the alleys and the fire pull boxes.Yet I remember playing my baseball game in Detroit in knee high grass,finding out that the wire mesh over the garage winows wasn't because of a foul ball,and the nights I spent at my Grandparents with my car parked under the street light with me not sleeping cause I was led to belive it would be gone in the morning.
    The fact is I would live in the Detroit of my youth, Yet I don't wanna live there now.As far as the urban sprawl deal. I don't like it , But Hey I ain't buying into it.
    People live that far out for a reason.

While thinking this even more, and rereading the post. What the Hell good does it do anyway if the problems you thought you escaped from follow you to the burbs?.

^^^^
    That's about as good a statement on the whole subject I have read.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    While thinking this even more, and rereading the post. What the Hell good does it do anyway if the problems you thought you escaped from follow you to the burbs?.
    Exactly. Does the saying "you can run but you can't hide" mean anything these days?

Well stated....
    Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    It isn't about not wanting to preserve history, it is about locating your family and raising your children in a safe, nurturing and healthy environment. Trying to raise children in Detroit, if you have the means to do it elsewhere, is tantamount to child endangerment.

You have to choose your "fights" carefully. Some are not worth fighting.

I was born in Detroit, as my parents came her from the mid-south in the late fifties. My parents were far more city-locked than I -- they had less exposure to suburban life. As an adult, my lifestyle has included working in varied yet related industries. Being fairly ambitious my career by necessity required me to traverse in and out of the suburbs-weekly. Having been so exposed to several suburbs has allowed me more options, so it's not a big deal to possibly leave Detroit. Crime is my major concern. And you often have to 'leave' temporarily just to get/ have basic amenities and choices no longer available in the city anyhow. Relocating is more of a permanent decision with less communiting it can be argued. I would not want to live rurally however.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-10 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Aside from not appearing to be a question, the original post didn't really seem to be about why people left Detroit, but rather a suggestion that the continued outward sprawl of the region [[despite negligible population growth) is undesirable.

I completely agree with this, but it seems to me that Southeast Michigan has no effective regional plan or planning body, hence essentially no rules. Given no rules, road-focused transportation funding, and no physical barriers, sprawl is what happens everywhere. Even where you have strong planning and more balanced transportation approaches, it is still very hard to stop sprawl, but in southeast Michigan it is pretty much hopeless.

My guess is that if it is stopped, it will be because we realize that we don't want to spend the money to build and maintain more infrastructure for fewer people, but you can expect an awful lot of gnashing of teeth before that premise is generally accepted. Michigan's rapid transformation from a relatively rich to a relatively poor state means we can't afford to be as stupid as we have been traditionally, but I doubt it has increased our collective intelligence.
    Now that Michigan has become poorer, will the same impulse to find greener grass result in a massive exodus to other states? Excuse my ignorance and maybe arrogance in stating this, but as you say; isnt there a concentrated effect of the Go West Young Man, in SEM that seeks to not only start anew, but equally to negate one's past. I also find the mythical motifs of US mobility, of a people on the move are alive and well in Detroit. In spite of the romance of automobility, for many, polish, irish, lithuanian; work on the assembly line was something to escape, when conditions got better, a move to a bigger house was deemed essential. For a black family that came from an agrarian south, this move to greener pastures, Detroit was a way out also. Then as opportunities grew in a relatively reasoned way for that same black family; a possible equality of means and peace was envisioned. But nothing was more uncertain than this balancing act for black families wishing to integrate american life. The abandonment of Detroit over the spread of several generations is pretty much the abandonment of Detroit as possible promised land for black people who emigrated here. They had abandoned a southern white hierarchy of expressed hatred for northern hypocrisy and indifference, and polite hatred. Still, it seems that black detroiters hold on to this dream of a great city. The physical erosion of the city has to do with abandonment rather than plain physical destruction. The downtown has a pattern of abandonment which is like Cleveland's and Cincinnati's and StLouis's and indicates racial ostracism pure and simple. So many fucked up opportunities. Also, when we hear this nobody lives in Detroit canto, we can think of other references to black inferiority such as White trash/Trailer trash monikers which refer to trash that happens to be white as opposed to black and needs some defining...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast