Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 50 state streets

I have been wanting to post this for a while, but only remembered to post it once I saw the Street Name Origins thread posted earlier today.

Are all 50 States represented by a street in Detroit?

Try to only post one.

Give the start and end of the street along with the direction it runs. I'll go first with the easiest and most obvious.

Michigan Ave.
    Start: Campus Martius, Detroit
    End: The Magnificent Mile, Chicago
    Runs: East and West

Bearinabox Guest

Ohio. Starts and stops a bunch of times, but basically runs from 8 Mile to Tireman, north and south.

I'll go with our closest neighbor, Ohio.

Ohio Street.
    Start: 8 Mile Road
    End: Tireman
    Runs: North and south intermittently

Wow bear, that is great, I was posting at the same moment -- same street too!

Fine, I'll go with our next closest neighbor.

Indiana St.
    Start: 8 mile road
    End: Warren
    Runs: North and South intermittently.

There are lots of state-named streets in this part of the grid. Should be a fun thread!

Nevada.
    Starts: at Van Dyke
    Ends: I believe Woodward.
    Runs: east to west.
    Historical site on street: Sojourner Truth Housing Projects
    Last edited by Detroitej72; May-06-09 at 10:38 PM.

All I know is I avoid Navada.

Okay, I'll bite.

Illinois St, because I'm going there tomorrow.

START: St Joseph St, near Gratiot and Mack
    END: Terminates at Grandy St after crossing McDougall... begins again at Chene and runs for 4 blocks before dead end
    RUNS: East/West

Well, Wyoming. It runs similar to Ohio and Indiana but I am not exactly sure where it begins and ends.

In the vicinity of Ohio St. is Wisconsin, Indiana and Kentucky. N/S from 8 Mile to about Warren.

Let's not forget Washington Blvd.
    It runs from Jefferson to Park which is Northwest then North, I think

Pennsylvania St
    Jefferson to I 94 between McClellan and St. Jean
    North by northwest

Alaska St.
    Runs East to West
    South of Joy Road
    Starts at Livernois and ends at Alpine.

Florida Street/Avenue

Runs north south between Michigan avenue and Radcliffe St. on the west side.

Oregon St.
    on the west side just north of Tireman
    Runs east to west from I-96 service drive to Epworth

There is a New York Street in the East English Village, just south of East Warren and east of Cadieux [[I would be interested in how Michiganders pronounce "Cadieux").

For fun, there is also an Ontario Street two blocks south of New York Street.

Okay, I had to look this up:
    * 28 streets are named after states within the city.

* New York is the only two-word state that has a street named after it.

* The closest state not named is West Virginia.

* Washington appears twice--once in the CBD; a second time as a tiny stub of a turnaround where Mack borders Grosse Pointe.

Georgia Street! Gratiot to Mt. Elliot

I would be interested in how Michiganders pronounce "Cadieux"
    Typically pronounced "cad-jew" around these parts and I've even heard "cad-ee-yew", but I'm not sure which one is the closest to the accepted French pronunciation.

Retroit Guest

Arizona [[Woodward & McNichols). The next road is Dakota, but not technically a state. Louisiana & Minnesota are nearby.

Highland Park has 5 in a row [[Colorado, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, California, & Connecticut) but they don't extend into Detroit.

I always thought it was a great educational tool to name streets sequentially in such a manner, such as after states, countries, presidents, flowers, trees, etc.

Nevada and Maryland are on the east side, but I don't know the start/stop points.

Vermont

North of 2000 West Jefferson, one block west of 12th, runs intermittently up to Ferry Park.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Well, Wyoming. It runs similar to Ohio and Indiana but I am not exactly sure where it begins and ends.
    The northernmost point where it's called Wyoming is 11 Mile, and the southernmost point is Woodmere Cemetery, near the Rouge plant.

Delaware Street in New Center.

Stromberg2

Tennessee way down on the east side between Jefferson and the river. It's almost a cut off little cul-de-sac now, but it used to extend from Jefferson to Avondale. I had relatives who lived there after they tore down the "river rat" houses that used to stand on the shoreline over by Fairview.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Tennessee way down on the east side between Jefferson and the river. It's almost a cut off little cul-de-sac now, but it used to extend from Jefferson to Avondale. I had relatives who lived there after they tore down the "river rat" houses that used to stand on the shoreline over by Fairview.
    Just out of curiosity: what exactly is a "river rat" house?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast