Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Monroe Block

Default Monroe Block

Does anyone remember the stores that used to be on Monroe street. From Woodward to Beubien. I do remember a Thom Mccan shoe store was on that block. I remember a small passport store also.

I also remember a wall that was build there somewhere between 1976 and 1980 that said something like bicentenial renovation of historic block! stayed up there for a good ten years!

A ruse for conventioneers I think. I do reember being in the passport shop around 1984 to get a fake ID. Some guy wandered in derranged. I looked at the guy behind the counter, he looked at me and we simulatneously shrugged our shoulders and said "what did he say?"

There was a bar, the Barrel Bar which had a high ceiling, like Foran's, one of the original Nickelodeons on the Monroe Street's "entertainment row" -- it was 2nd storefront west of Farmer Street, on the south side. I remember the Thom McAnn store, the Family [[Follies)Theater at the Corner of Monroe and Campus Martius and I believe a beauty supply/sundries store also in that block...also a coney island style restaurant on the east corner in the National Theater block.

Someone posted some old color pictures a couple of years ago showing a street car stop and some trolley busses that gave a great view of the first block storefronts.
    Last edited by detroitbob; November-26-10 at 01:41 AM.

The destruction of the Monroe Block was one of the worst crimes ever perpetrated against historic preservation in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    I remember shopping at that Father's and Son's shoe store in 1979. I also used to eat at one of those coney islands in the late 70s. I use to catch the Gratiot or Vernor bus at the bus stop that was there.Saturdays was my hanging out downtown days and when waiting at the bus stop on Monroe going home I use to stare at the Hudson's building watching the employees leave for the building had closed for the day. The Hudson's sign would come on for the night. Who was mayor when the Monroe Block was finally razed? Young or Archer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    The destruction of the Monroe Block was one of the worst crimes ever perpetrated against historic preservation in the city.
    Agreed 100%.... it was the best surviving collection of antebellum commercial architecture to have remained intact in Detroit.... the biggest travesty since the shady demise of the 1850 Chene House....

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Young or Archer.
    Young was Mayor.

In the 70s I used to get my Derby hat cleaned and blocked at the Wormsers store.You could get a shoe shine there too!And the Follies Theatre around the corner that burned.It was showing x rated movies at the time and the people wanted their money back because of the fire.I used to catch the John-r Oakland Via Nevada bus across the street.It was sad to see it sit for so long and then be torn down for a parking lot.
    Last edited by RYANGUARD; November-28-10 at 08:07 PM. Reason: missing word

Some friends and I broke in a few days before the demolition to liberate some stuff. Wish I had taken those hat blocks from the second-floor hatter.