Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do We Really Want A Cheesecake Factory?

Since some on this board think a Cheesecake Factory would be the greatest thing to come to Detroit since Cadillac, I thought this might be good food for thought.

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AoUcvpXs74...ly-restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Since some on this board think a Cheesecake Factory would be the greatest thing to come to Detroit since Cadillac, I thought this might be good food for thought.

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AoUcvpXs74...ly-restaurants
    This is all based on calories. While I'm not a fan of chain restaurants anyway, claiming they are the "worst restaurants" based solely on calories is dumb. I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, maybe I want to splurge. Who goes to somewhere called "Cheesecake Factory" looking to count calories? Anyway, Cheesecake Factory won't save detroit, bathroom attendants will.

The presence or absence of the Cheesecake Factory is only interesting to me symbolically, if that. I wouldn't actually eat there. On the other hand, it probably couldn't make Detroit any less healthy than it already is.

Maybe what we really need here is a cheesecake factory at the bus station! Both issues solved!

On Detroit's list of things that it needs to be concerned about a CCF wouldn't make the top 1,000.

If you can't look at certain foods and tell that it would be benificial to eat them in moderation then something is wrong with you.
    Last edited by rjk; November-24-10 at 09:31 AM.

LOL! I only went to Cheesecake Factory once, in Chicago. The servings were so huge, my family could have eaten on my dinner for a week. Really! I had about twelve chicken things and sides. I think I ate half the sides, salad and mac and cheese maybe, and one chicken thing, left the leftovers in the park across from the Watertower. The food was good, nothing special. I didn't have room to try any cheesecake. It was very popular, quite a line waiting to get in. That was Chicago. Would it work in Detroit?

Well...Right now, wouldn't it compete with the homies? There aren't that many boots on the ground at any one time looking to eat. Would it attract people who are thinking of coming here? Detroit? Are you crazy? Oh, they have a Cheesecake Factory? Well, maybe. How is Hard Rock doing?

mmmm... cheesecake...

Still miss Kathy's Cheese Cakes, they were the best.

New Palace Bakery in Hamtramck has really good cheesecake. I was just there yesterday picking up some cheesecake among a few other things.

And a coney dog is so healthy...

None of those locations listed in that article have a location in Detroit City.

ETA: My bad... There is an IHOP in the city.
    Last edited by iheartthed; November-24-10 at 11:54 AM.

No, CF is not needed in Detroit. What is needed is for people to start going to LOCALLY-OWNED restaurants more and less to the chains.

Have a freakin salad,light dressing and an unsweeted ice tea.Hold the cheesecake.And no we don't need one in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    No, CF is not needed in Detroit. What is needed is for people to start going to LOCALLY-OWNED restaurants more and less to the chains.
    Any legal business is good for the city.

Any legal business is good for the city.
    Seriously. We can all set aside time for concern-trolling other people's dietary habits when all of the city's other problems are taken care of.

I think a Cheesecake Factory in the city would be fine. Health is not the main concern when most people go out. I believe a place like CCF can exist alongside local eateries. I mean, people who travel abroad often times look for something with which they are familiar instead of trying local eats.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Well CF was started as a locally-owned business, they just went national...and anti-Detroit.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

You know what would really be swell? A Cheesecake Factory store at every stop on the magic choo-choo train route on Woodward. This would singlehandedly make Detroit all spiffy again, Overnight, the crime would be gone, the schools would be the best in the nation, no more corruption in city government, no more blight, no more drugs, no more unemployment, no more homeless people, parents would start raising their children properly.

A Cheesecake Factory and a choo-choo train, the secret to ending all of Detroit's woes! I'm all tingly just thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    You know what would really be swell? A Cheesecake Factory store at every stop on the magic choo-choo train route on Woodward. This would singlehandedly make Detroit all spiffy again, Overnight, the crime would be gone, the schools would be the best in the nation, no more corruption in city government, no more blight, no more drugs, no more unemployment, no more homeless people, parents would start raising their children properly.

A Cheesecake Factory and a choo-choo train, the secret to ending all of Detroit's woes! I'm all tingly just thinking about it
    How many times will you make this joke before you realize it's not funny?

You know what would really be swell? A Cheesecake Factory store at every stop on the magic choo-choo train route on Woodward. This would singlehandedly make Detroit all spiffy again
    You're right, a CF and light rail won't be a magic bullet that will fix everything that's wrong with the city--because there is no magic bullet that will fix everything that's wrong with the city. What there is, is a bunch of small, incremental things that will address the problems that Detroit has and that will, taken together, turn things around. Viable businesses and restaurants--chain or otherwise--that attract people downtown and a public transportation system to move people around quickly and conveniently are two things that will attract people who will come and spend money.

Cheesecake Factory is a restaurant chain, that's all. Why are some of you posting so much venom?

LOL I got all excited before I opened the link thinking there might acutally be a CF coming here...does that ever happen to other people? I have read titles and got uber excited only to open the post and have it be something a bit differnet than I thought it would be ?

Now if we could get a Junior's, then we'd have something!!!

Paddington Guest

This is a city in which the most famous food item is a POS hot dog made up of waste cow parts, topped with a chilli made up of various cow entrails. There is no way Detroit's cuisine could get any worse. In fact attracting a popular national chain might even teach the locals a few tricks about what normal food is like on Earth these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Well CF was started as a locally-owned business, they just went national...and anti-Detroit.
    Not really true. The founders retired out here from-Southfield, i think?, and in the midst of puttering in their kitchen, as retirees are wont to do took up the challenge of opening a restaurant where the entrees were fairly hard to make. I like 'em, you get a nice filling meal for $10. They're always packed on holidays/weekends-tho the stock doesn't move a lot[[their headquarted in Thousand Oaks). I dunno why they're not in Michigan but we've finally got Big Boy's rolling out here after The Carow's Massacre, and they were founded in Glendale, so go figure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast