Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Dog Kennels

Default Dog Kennels

I am looking to board my dog this summer for 5-6 nights. I have never boarded a dog before, always had a neighbor/family do the good deed. What are some things I should look for when choosing a kennel? What about things to avoid? I did stop at one today just up the street from work and got a mini-tour. I was told my dog would need proof of his shots [[duh) and that he would have his own private crate at night. During the day [[weather permitting) they each have their own fenced-in run and food is provided.

So, they never come in contact with other dogs?

Which one was that?

Petsmart with their Pet Hotel is pretty good. The dog gets her own room at night, and you can choose to let her play with other dogs, or just with staff during the day, or not play. They get some exercise going to the relief room and you can even get a room with a TV, which I think is pretty funny. Their website shows a dog enjoying the TV in his room. I always take Ginger there when she has to stay overnight, she loves it.

cheddar bob Guest

K9 To 5 on Cass. I think she'll take DY posters. Probably.

Don't know what area your in but there is one on Industrial Drive off of 9 mile between Harper and Kelly, just before the freeway. I worked in a building next door and they had an open area for the dogs to run around and interact. Also, on Harper in St. Clair Shores, around 14 mile, there's two or three in a row. I think one of the names is Bed and Biscuit..

I've used Dog Gone Acres in Farmington years ago and was very pleased. My dog was happy and clean when we picked her up.

http://www.caninetofivedetroit.com/

3443 Cass Ave.
    Detroit, MI 48201 [[313) 831-DOGS [[3647)

Well thanks for all the info so far. Gaz, do you recall how much the PetSmart charged? I checked out Camp Bow Wow today and they are $37/night. Other ones I checked out are cheaper. The K9-to-5 is too far for me sorry, I live in Pontiac. CountrySquire, I'll add Dog Gone Acres to my list. Farmington isn't too far.

I don't remember how much, but it probably is around $30 which includes food. Day Camp is $21 a day. They have a play and stay package that gives a somewhat reduced rate combining the day camp and overnight. The site recommends calling the one nearest you to get their rate. I use the one at Tel-12. Here is the site where you can locate your nearest one:

http://petshotel.petsmart.com/locations/index.shtml

You can bring your dog's favorite food and treats and toys, but they don't give you a discount for that.

The dog has to be up on all its shots including bordatella.

We have to board our 3 dogs whenever we go on vacation or if hubby has to go to Minneapolis to the VA. We checked out lots of kennels and found one that is wonderful. Unless the staff are obviously dog lovers, and not just in the business for the money, I'd steer very clear. I had a dog come home from a kennel once acting like he'd been beaten...he'd never ducked when I moved my hand before. The kennel we use has individual runs for each dog, with a doggie door to their own outdoor area. They can go in and out at will. They take the dogs for walks, or turn them out into a large fenced area for playtime 3 times a day. They give lots and lots of love. The walls and floors are tile, with chain link between the runs. Air conditioned in summer and heated "just right" in the winter. The office area is furnished with a nice couch, chair, television and desk. The dogs are welcome to lounge on the couch while their run is being cleaned. We get a report card when we pick up our dog that covers how they settled in, how they ate, if they were friendly with the other dogs, and some cute, funny categories. Has about 25 runs, some large enough for 3 big dogs to be comfortable in. Don't rush to choose....look around, and I think the farther out into the country you go, the better off your pet will be. We pay $14 per day per dog. Good luck in your search.

Hi Grumpyoldlady,

Could you please tell me the name of the kennel you are describing above? It sounds like what I've been hoping to find for our dog. Thanks!

What kind of dog are you looking to kennel? My boyfriend and I would be willing to babysit your dog, if he/she would do well with our 2 dogs. My Boyfriend works from home, so he is with the dogs all day, and we have a big fenced in yard. We love having other dogs over to play with ours, it helps balance them out.

You can email me at Carrie.Yager@gmail.com

That's a kind offer, but our dog is unpredictable in some ways and I couldn't risk putting her with strangers or other dogs. Some people she is fine with, others she is very afraid of and I wouldn't want her to bite someone out of fear. She does not react well to active dogs, acts like she thinks she's being attacked, will growl or try to snap. Both of my American Eskimos were/are this way. The breed can be very skittish and protective. Since both of mine were adopted, I have no way to know what his/her past experiences were that may have caused this behavior. But thanks!

My dog was just at Petsmart Pet Hotel at Tel-Twelve in Southfield for four days. She had day camp and treat every day. The total bill was $158.78.

Breakdown
    Large Atrium room @ 27/ day $81. [[TV would be extra, but she doesn't watch TV)
    Ice Cream Treat time @ 4/day $16.
    All Day Day Camp @ 16/day $64

I had a $3 coupon