Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about abandoned Brush Park housing projects

Anyone know about the history of those projects over in Brush Park, a couple blocks away from Comerica Park and Ford Field? Looking to rehab the basketball court over there, maybe hold a 3 on 3 tournament for charity. Would love to know where I could find out more information. Looking to get some sponsors. The court over there is in great shape, nets are still on the rims. Cool view of the city from over there, plenty of parking. Lots of potential. Well, appreicate any help you can give. Feel free to e-mail me at elacy79@gmail.com.

The Brewster Projects, I believe owned by the City of Detroit, former Detroit Housing Commission projects

The remaining four Douglass Towers were part of Detroit's largest public housing complex, Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects -- once home to the likes of Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson. The low-rise Brewsters were razed and rebuilt in 1994 as townhouses, and two of the original six Frederick Douglass Towers were demolished in 2001.

The remaining towers have been vacant since 2008. They're owned by the Detroit Housing Commission, which is trying to sell them for $3 million. Last I checked, back in September, there were no interested parties.