Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mounted Police in the D

Drove down Mack Ave in Detroit on Sunday at about noon. Saw a mounted policeman and had to admit I was thrilled.

I truely hope that the city brings back its mounted force for purely public relations issues. The small investment would reap hugh rewards.

Always had a half-assed urge to put in a transfer to mounted in the old days. You had to be under 200 pounds and have five years on the job. But every time one of those guys got on the elevator with you at 1300, there was no doubt who his partner was. So I never did. Went to Motorcycle Traffic Bureau instead. Oil smelled so much better than.....well, never mind.

I had a sighting Friday evening; he was headed from Campus Martius to Lafayette Coney Island. Gee, I wonder why he was headed there

I was delighted to see him! Had some out-of-towners in my car who were geeked about it.

These folks are ambassadors, as well.

Caught a few of 'em in Grosse Pointe's Thanksgiving parade Friday morning, before the retail orgy.

Thanks, Ray, for the laughter.

Nothing but good comes from the mounted divisions...unless you choose to face 'em down in a protest or riot situation, of course. But like REL says, they ALWAYS thrill people.

Cops on horses are good for the force's image.