Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lafayette Gone: New Sight Lines

With the Lafayette Building gone, some new sight lines have been opened up for some of the other downtown buildings. I had lunch the other day at American Coney Island, and parked the car across the street [[along where People's outfitting used to be). I noticed this sight line is now open of the south side of Lafayette Blvd, including the Federal Building, Free Press Building, and others.

Attachment 7849

Anyone else have any photos of new sightlines that have been opened/created with the demolition of the Lafayette or buildings downtown over the past few years?

Rocko >>> not advocating for demolition, just thinking like a photographer....

From last spring.

I wish they would do something with the lot where the lafayette building used to stand. As much as I hate to see another parking lot, it would be nice if they turned that into half parking lot and half park.

There is no parking sometimes when I go to one of the Coney Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I wish they would do something with the lot where the lafayette building used to stand. As much as I hate to see another parking lot, it would be nice if they turned that into half parking lot and half park.

There is no parking sometimes when I go to one of the Coney Islands.
    I feel like aside from major event nights like the tree lighting last Friday, there is always some free open parking somewhere close to where I want to go. In any case, we're spoiled in Detroit. In any other city, an absence of free parking would not be considered an absence of parking. Even during major events when downtown is flooded with visitors, $8 parking lots are abundant.

True, I didn't think of it that way.

Compaired to Chicago, we do have alot of parking available.

Any more parking lots and there won't be any buildings. How many of downtown's buildings are already parking structures, like 50%? Sometimes I think people would prefer to just have the RenCen and the stadiums surrounded by parking lots, demolish everything else to create more spots for their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Any more parking lots and there won't be any buildings. How many of downtown's buildings are already parking structures, like 50%? Sometimes I think people would prefer to just have the RenCen and the stadiums surrounded by parking lots, demolish everything else to create more spots for their cars.
    People would still bitch that there isn't enough parking, especially if they had to walk more than a block and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Here's a picture I took looking north on Clifford from behind the United Artists building.

That was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    I feel like aside from major event nights like the tree lighting last Friday, there is always some free open parking somewhere close to where I want to go. In any case, we're spoiled in Detroit. In any other city, an absence of free parking would not be considered an absence of parking. Even during major events when downtown is flooded with visitors, $8 parking lots are abundant.
    The flaw of downtown Detroit is that every business's viability is dependent on the prevalence of cheap parking.

Here's a picture I took last winter of the Book Cadillac from the parking garage located to the south of the Lafayette's former location. You can see the cranes from the tail end of the demolition, but otherwise Lafayette Tower's absence cleared an amazing view. Silver lining for me, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    People would still bitch that there isn't enough parking, especially if they had to walk more than a block and a half.
    At the RenCen, the lazy bastards go so far as to have a shuttle to take them to their cars, only a block away...

Who eats at American Coney Island? Long live Lafayette!

Mallory:

The girlfriend prefers American. I prefer Lafayette. We've struck a truce and alternate!

Cool photo Pushtina! Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about!

Another parking lot will help the parking problems in Dowtown Detroit.

Here's a pretty cool before-and-after I took of the Lafayette Building, as well as photos taken throughout the demolition process.

http://fromthekage.blogspot.com/2010...n-detroit.html

You aren't kidding about new sight lines opening up. Take a look at how far I was able to see there recently.

Hahaha. I can see the Earth from my backyard?