Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Old Wayne County Building

This photo posted today on Shorpy of the courthouse in 1910 brought to mind a question:

Since Ficano moved the county from this historic building to the Guardian Building, is anything occupying any space within the old county building? Have the owners found any new tenants, or are they even looking?

Check out this link to the full version of the photo: http://www.shorpy.com/node/9391

Last time I went by there, there was a rather large sign in front of the courthouse stating "Historic building for sale or lease."

Kidspace Montessori is still there using parts of the basement & first floors. There was alot of movie filming going there during the summer while my kid was attending summer camp there. However, since September, I haven't seen or heard much else.

You can see the ol' Vizcaya cannon there at right. It's at Ft. Wayne these days, laying on the ground and waiting for money to re-display it.

I heard a wild rumor from a business owner in the area that someone was interested in turning it into residential lofts. I'm not sure how much effort that would take, but it'd be a pretty unique building to live in. I doubt such a project would ever happen though...

Interestingly enough the Old County Building is more than twice the size of razed Old Ciy Hall. Old Sanford maps show how much larger the footprint is of the Old County Building.

I had once heard that it was built on a grand scale to lure the capital of Michigan back to Detroit, but I don't know how factual that was.

It certainly is a palatial building... I doubt it could be converted to residential... especially based on the tall room sizes and opulent details. It would be quite a challenge to put kitchens and bathrooms in such a space.

What are some possible uses for it?? Maybe a museum.... maybe a relocation of the federal courts [[and keep the Art Moderne Courthouse as the main post office, it's once dual function).

But my favorite idea was to make it city hall [[and keeping much of administration in the CAY Building). Other cities such as San Francisco and New York have grand City Halls.... but that idea would be expensive, in lieu of Detroit's current fiscal problems.

One thing that I have always lamented was that Randolph Ave. is where the Woodward Plan of downtown streets ends at Randolph on the east side. Had the location of the Old County Building been located perpendicular to the eastern terminus of Cadillac Square... it would have made for a stunning overpowering vista from Campus Martius.... reminiscent of the great capitals of Europe.

Its huge- I just don't see anyone or any business that could really make use of all of it. If it has courtrooms with balconies that would be hard to make into lofts. As long as its being preserved -its all good.

With those huge open staircases inside -- reminincent of the grand staircase on the Titanic, no other similarity intended -- the place must have a huge heating bill in the winter.

http://www.detroithistorical.org/mai...nd_scenes.aspx

Old Wayne County Buidling

Friday, December 17
    11 a.m.

The Courthouse served as the center of Wayne County government for the first half of the 20th century and held most of its offices, court sessions and public hearings. Dating back to 1897, the building is an architectural masterpiece with exceptional ornamentation and is steeped in Detroit’s history.

Tickets:
    $20 - Society members
    $30 - Guests

This tour is SOLD OUT! For waitlist information, please call [[313) 833-1801.

I heard some guy named Marvin Starvins or something like that is going to buy it, cover it in Dryvit, paint it gold then put neon up all over it!

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I heard a wild rumor from a business owner in the area that someone was interested in turning it into residential lofts.
    Ehh, they say that about every dying building downtown.