Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default JFK Day: Jack Ruby's brother Earl of Detroit...

Did Earl Ruby change the name of his business from Cobo Cleaners to Ruby Cleaners about the time of the 1991 release of the movie "JFK"? Is the cleaners on Livernois near U. of Detroit campus still in business and, if so, is it still called Ruby Cleaners?

Is Earl Ruby still alive? The last I read about him he was living in Delray Beach, FL in the '90s. That is where is said to have fired a number of rounds from Jack's infamous pistol into a drum of water. Earl then offered the bullets up for sale as historic souvenirs.

Anyone know Earl Ruby personally?

I'm pretty sure that wrestling promoter Bert Ruby who was recently mentioned on another thread is from the same family.

I pass by that building several times a week and the sign still reads "Earl Ruby Cleaners".

I could be wrong, but I thought Earl Ruby sold the gun and the suit Jack was wearing that day at auction some years ago.

Found this on the Social Security Death Index [[SSDI), but not sure if it's the same.
    Earl RUBY Birth Date:16 Apr 1915 Death Date:6 Feb 2006 Social Security Number: 326-05-2183 State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois Death Residence Localities ZIP Code:48034 Localities: Southfield, Oakland, Michigan

I met Jack Ruby a few times back in the early 90's. He was the "moneybags" who was financing a fire repair contractor who I knew that was doing a lot of work in the city. He struck me as being a very quiet, soft spoken man. He seemd like he was getting elderly at that point though.

I heard that he sold the two inch Colt Cobra .38 special revolver he brother used to shoot Oswald at auction years ago. I also remember something about him selling spent shells fired out of that gun.

Shill shells?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Did Earl Ruby change the name of his business from Cobo Cleaners to Ruby Cleaners about the time of the 1991 release of the movie "JFK"?
    It was called Earl Ruby Cleaners as far back as 1985; prior to that I don't know.

Yep, that was the right one I found. From the Freep's death notices archives:

Ruby Earl R

2006-02-08
    90, formerly of Chicago IL. Died January 6, 2006. Survived by wife Margelee Ruby of West Bloomfield; son, Robert [[Judy) Ruby of California; daughters, Denise Ruby Reuven, Joyce Ruby Berman [[Clifford) and grandchildren: Steven Ruby, Suzanne Ruby, Shony Reuven, Robert Berman and Gabriel Berman. Mr. Ruby was a member of the Disabled American Veterans, The Jewish War Veterans, and Bnai B'rith Sports Lodge. For 21 years, he owned Cobo Cleaners in Detroit and for many years was president of the 12th Precinct Businessmen's Assoc. He was the youngest brother of the late Hymen Rubenstein, Ann Volpert, Marion Carroll, Eva Grant, Eileen Kaminsky, Jack Ruby and Sam Ruby. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Contributions may be made to the Israel Defense Forces, Bnai B'rith Sports Lodge, and The Variety-The Childrens Charity. Interment Chicago IL. Arrangements by Hebrew Memorial Chapel.

the family name was Rubinstein.

Downtown Lady: Did Earl Ruby own Cobo Cleaners?
    East Detroit: "shill shells" Not bad. Can we work sheenyman into that alliteration?