Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Put a mask on MCS?

What do you all think of Rochelle Riley's idea to put a mask on the MCS?

http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...ow-Italys-lead

its a rouse for tourists...ppl come to mcs to see it in its decay not glory
    no point unless its being saved

It would be a cool idea only if the following were followed

1) That both sides be done
    2) There is a light on it at night
    3) It was maintained and all entrances blocked, because it could easily get destroyed as badly as the building

However I thought of the same thing when I was in Italy over the last six months. This is in Pisa!

Attachment 7842

I think we should put a big condom on it, and maybe a tasteful, public service message about STD's.

How about putting a mask on Ms. Riley? ...

Make the mask look like a giant band aid. Hey, it's the only honest thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    What do you all think of Rochelle Riley's idea to put a mask on the MCS?

http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...ow-Italys-lead
    Hey while they are at, they should cover up that ugly ass Coliseum and pave over Pompeii. It's amazing to me that we've never figured out how to capitalize on our demise. It's a story thats noteworthy of history. Detroit is easily an interesting place to visit as Rome. I say we publish Fodor's Guide to Detroit, roll out some red carpets and celebrate the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Hey while they are at, they should cover up that ugly ass Coliseum and pave over Pompeii. It's amazing to me that we've never figured out how to capitalize on our demise. It's a story thats noteworthy of history. Detroit is easily an interesting place to visit as Rome. I say we publish Fodor's Guide to Detroit, roll out some red carpets and celebrate the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit.
    I'll agree to a point, while Rome is 10 times more old than Detroit, and many things have happened in Rome that changed the course of the world, Detroit did some important things as well, also Detroit is much more friendly than Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    I'll agree to a point, while Rome is 10 times more old than Detroit, and many things have happened in Rome that changed the course of the world, Detroit did some important things as well, also Detroit is much more friendly than Italy.
    And hey, when you visit Detroit, you get to meet actual Detroiters!

What a stupid idea.

Could the mask be functional in that it would prevent further damage by the elements to the exterior?

So.....put a tarp on it is what she wants to do? Just how much would it cost to cover this massive building? Might as well just install the windows and clean the paint off the walls. Then it'll look just fine.....well, better than a tarp.

i actually would like to do something similar, but not quite the same. an artist once wrapped the Reichstag in Berlin

id like to wrap MCS. not to post ads on the facade, and not to print an image of it in its glory, but to make people think about the structure itself.

A mask over MCS would imply that something is happening under it. I don't think that will happen. Just look at the Bob-Lo boats to see what will happen in a year or so with that mask...

All together:
    Touché

i would do it as a statement, the building is already effed.

Whitehouse I was thinking the same thing. At least she's out of sight, with MCS you get this same tattered cover for EVERYONE to see lol

DetroitPole Guest

1) There are no plans to renovate MCS, unlike the Palace in Torino. Putting a cover on it will not in any way affect this.
    2) People flock to see it as it is, not with a cover on it. This is not Torino. And I'm sure while they go look at it they find a place to eat in Detroit too.
    3) Am I the only one who is totally sick of Rochelle Riley? She sees something, so instantly makes an inane comparison and throws a bunch of shit on the page. Half the time her articles are just stream-of-conciousness with no train of thought. She lives in Southfield, so I don't know why she is always writing about the city like she owns it. Why does the Free Press keep her? Don't give a shit or just need a token?

1) There are no plans to renovate MCS, unlike the Palace in Torino. Putting a cover on it will not in any way affect this.
    2) People flock to see it as it is, not with a cover on it. This is not Torino. And I'm sure while they go look at it they find a place to eat in Detroit too.
    3) Am I the only one who is totally sick of Rochelle Riley? She sees something, so instantly makes an inane comparison and throws a bunch of shit on the page. Half the time her articles are just stream-of-conciousness with no train of thought. She lives in Southfield, so I don't know why she is always writing about the city like she owns it. Why does the Free Press keep her? Don't give a shit or just need a token?
    I think the fact that she has the 'comments' disabled is pretty telling about what the public readership things of the crap she puts out there.

Or maybe Council can put up a wall surrounding it saying bicentenial restoration block!?!

Here's a better idea: Why doesn't the city make the person who owns the building maintain it?

I say the city should seize the propoerty as a public nuisance, stabilize it and make it a tour destination

Rather than mask it, I think lighting it up would be better. By now, everyone has to know that nothing is going to happen there, so get Mr. Maroun to show it off for what it is - an obsolete train station - a beacon to decay - but a back drop to what is happening in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I say the city should seize the propoerty as a public nuisance, stabilize it and make it a tour destination
    If the city ever takes ownership you can rest assure that they will use every last dime they have to demolish it.

Stupid. Difference there is they are restoring whats under the tarp instead of an indefinite band aid.