Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WSU, graduation rates, The South End

ok, i sit here wearing my graduation ring from 1979 which by the way has a manual typewriter on it as part of the School of Business Administration logo. I take pride in my WSU days - I paid my own way through - worked in a short order restaurant - Clock Restaurant on East Warren, and had to make it or else. My father used to say as most of ours did, "You only get out of something what you put into it". In my case, I paid my own way through and wanted to get my rewards. I did. Don't make a million bucks, but with my education from WSU, I have my life to look back on. So, for all those who are in WSU now, either you want it, or not. For those like me who are graduated, you got it, right?

Whoever wrote this article has no future in journalism. Not one statistic about graduation rates at WSU or comparative data from other universities. All we know is that the author was able to find at least a few people who won't graduate in 4 years. Pathetic.

And in financial news, some people said that some of the stocks they own went up today.

I'm not sure why people treat it as if it's necessary to complete an undergraduate education within a specified period of time. The purpose of going to college is not simply to complete it, but to learn and explore. If people take the time to do those things, they will eventually learn what they like and make efforts to complete their requirements. Placing an unnecessary deadline won't help to make better prepared students.

I also understand that many of the students who enter WSU these days don't tend to have the capacity to perform at the university level. The simple solution to that would be for WSU to create a deferred acceptance program requiring the students to take and pass any necessary remedial courses at a local community college before being fully admitted to the university. Just a thought...

When I was laid off from Chrysler in Jan. 2008, I decided to get a Finance degree from WSU. I had to go back to MCCC to cover the classes that didn't transfer from my engineering/ skilled trades background.

Simce I am back at work, my schedule limits how many classes I can take. I expect to graduate in 2013.

There is no shame in taking one's time to complete a degree. Every class I take is forward momentum until I achieve my goal. I don't buy into the stigma of not achieving a degree in four years. Everyone's situation is different.

There is future in WSU students for mathematics, doctors, lawyers, liberal arts [[ as in TV and film), engineering, computer engineering, and teacher shortages and special education teacher shortages. Seek those professions rather than working at some automobile or manufacturing plant or some fast food resturants.

I worked 30 hours a week in minimum wage jobs to help pay my way through WSU. I felt that it was better to get my degree in five years so that I did well in physics, chemistry, calculus, and all those other "easy" courses that make up an engineering degree. The fact that I took five years has not held back my career one bit. In an interview, they push accross the table something humble like an ICE water pump to you and expect you to be able to "wax poetic" about every scientific principle that can be applied to it.

Agreed. I'm working two - three jobs at any given time of the year and taking classes at WSU. I recall as a late teen just out of high school you were expected to get your undergrad in 4-5 years - max! Now, I am an environment with older students working on Masters, PhDs., Certs. and second undergrad degrees as needed. The time period has had to stretch appreciably.

Sure, there are time limits imposed by the school depending on what degree you are working on, but you have to chip at it bit-by-bit. Unless you have the leisure of going to school full time sans working... few have that option.

You are allowed, for example 5 years to complete a masters in the school of education at WSU, baring an extenuating circumstance. Most of students are working full or part-time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    When I was laid off from Chrysler in Jan. 2008, I decided to get a Finance degree from WSU. I had to go back to MCCC to cover the classes that didn't transfer from my engineering/ skilled trades background.

Simce I am back at work, my schedule limits how many classes I can take. I expect to graduate in 2013.

There is no shame in taking one's time to complete a degree. Every class I take is forward momentum until I achieve my goal. I don't buy into the stigma of not achieving a degree in four years. Everyone's situation is different.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-24-10 at 03:46 PM.

Laughable article. Useless.

Let's see... people attending a primarily commuter university are not graduating in 4 years?

Shocker!

I can echo the statements of others. I too was normally working two jobs while in attendance at WSU. It took me about a year longer than it would otherwise [[I went year-round, and got a dual major bachelors in Geography and Urban Studies to boot). I was on a pay as you go program. I would look at how much I had in the checkbook and how many hours I was working then blanced those to things. It was not the ideal way to go to school but I graduated with less than $1,000 in student loans, and that was paid off well before I even got a job offer.

This thread just proves the need for schools like WSU. It took me 4 years to complete my master's degree at Wayne State while working full-time.

Blarf Guest

That article is stupid.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you're going to school for, and/or you take summer classes, very few people actually graduate in 4 years from any school.