Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Bryan Duncan Guest

Default Is Bob Ficano Corrupt?

Channel 7 is reporting that Wayne County Executive Bob Ficano and Police Chief Warren Evans were making deals on awarding contracts to Blair Evans [[Warren's Brother) and Evans Solutions.

I hear Ficano is the Dem Party's choice to run against Rick Synder in four years, but is this guy corrupt?

First, Welcome to DetroitYes with a pretty intriguing first post.
    Second, Ficano is highly likely to be part of the Mcnamara regime.

Depends on what your meaning of "corrupt" is. There is downright dirty, or sometimes people just "do what they gotta do" in order to get things done. There is a huge gray scale on this one.

Every politician, like every human being, is vulnerable to the pulls and temptation of power.

Politician and corruption go together like 'horse and carriage'. They're inextricable.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    First, Welcome to DetroitYes with a pretty intriguing first post.
    Second, Ficano is highly likely to be part of the Mcnamara regime.
    I thought the appeal of Robert Ficano was that he WASN'T part of the McNamara regime. Didn't Ficano beat out Michael Duggan in a primary election for Wayne County sheriff or some other position?

IS he?

Hell, he always was. SOB never should have even been dogcatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I thought the appeal of Robert Ficano was that he WASN'T part of the McNamara regime. Didn't Ficano beat out Michael Duggan in a primary election for Wayne County sheriff or some other position?
    No, Michael Duggan ran for Wayne County Prosecutor, and won. He later resigned that position to be the head of the Detroit Medical Center... and we were blessed by the fact that Kym Worthy took over and reran for that office.

One win for the county... one loss for the DMC...

.... and Ficano was the Wayne County Sheriff before he ran for County Executive. Then later he was at odds with the new Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans... who later resigned that position to become Bing's Police Chief.... until his major TV gaffe ended that stint...

So unless the disagreements between Ficano and Evans was merely "window dressing" to hide the fact that they were in kahoots... this Channel 7 revelation sounds surprising...
    Last edited by Gistok; November-22-10 at 02:13 AM.

There's a whole lot missing here from his time before WCSO.

Robert Anthony [[Bob) Ficano [[b. July 19, 1952, Detroit, Michigan), American politician, is County Executive of Wayne County, Michigan.

He received his BA in 1974 from Michigan State University, and his JD in 1977 from University of Detroit. He worked as an attorney, and was assistant city attorney for the city of Westland, Michigan. He was nominated as the Democratic candidate for Michigan House of Representatives from the 36th District in 1980.

He was appointed Wayne County Sheriff in 1983, and elected in 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, and 2000. In 2002, he was elected County Executive, and took office in 2003.

As County Executive, he generated significant controversy in 2004 with his veto of a proposed ordinance to ban smoking in most workplaces.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Ficano

I know he was connected to the FBI for a while and/or DPD. I also remember a lot of crying "FOUL"
    when he first got into WCSO since he had no qualifications for it but I don't remember the whole story.

A former high-ranking Wayne County official says in a whistle-blower lawsuit filed this week that he was bullied by county Executive Robert Ficano and his appointees and eventually was fired for talking with the FBI about allegations of corruption.

The suit, filed by former Assistant County Executive Ralph Kinney, 46, in Wayne County Circuit Court, depicts an atmosphere of cronyism and graft in county government and the sheriff's office from 2003 to 2007.

Kinney says he was demoted and then fired in November 2007 for reasons ranging from blowing the whistle on illegal use of public money to refusing to campaign for Ficano. Ficano, who declined to comment until he sees the lawsuit filed Tuesday, is in China on a trade mission.

Kinney says he rooted out and exposed corrupt county employees and disclosed malfeasance in Wayne County government offices, according to the lawsuit.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...blower-lawsuit

Bryan Duncan Guest

You are thinking about Sheriff Bill Lucas who had worked for the FBI in New York.

Prior to becoming Sheriff ----Bob Ficano worked for Jim Kileen in the Wayne County Clerk's Office. Ficano was never a cop with the FBI or DPD.

Lucas became Sheriff when the previous Sheriff --- Roman Gribbs became the mayor of Detroit.

There's a whole lot missing here from his time before WCSO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Ficano

I know he was connected to the FBI for a while and/or DPD. I also remember a lot of crying "FOUL"
    when he first got into WCSO since he had no qualifications for it but I don't remember the whole story.[/quote]

No, not Lucas, but there is another name on the tip of my tongue that I might have him confused with. Last name started with a 'T' I think.

Paddington Guest

In places like Wayne County, MI, Cook County, IL, Kings County, NY, the politicians are always 100% corrupt. The question doesn't even need to be asked.

Looks like he was working for a couple of law firms and for the County before 1983.

http://members.tripod.com/sheriff_ficano/id20.html

You mean Robert Ficano, [[ The guy who cheated on his first wife) HAH!

Loren Pittman was William Lucas Under Sheriff and ran against Ficano.

ficano for governor? heh.. my guess is that snyder will get re-elected unless his policies crash and burn under the gop-dominated state legislature..

Bryan Duncan Guest

I think Ficano would make a poor choice for gov. He has f__ked up Wayne County. Maybe Brooks Patterson could teach him how to do his job, without going to China every month.

What the Ficano?

Welcome RainPryor... not a very descriptive first post though....

DC48080 Guest

Sounds like a few people on here [[or one person with multiple user names) have an ax to grind.

Somebody get fired from their County job perhaps? Downsized? Hmmmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Sounds like a few people on here [[or one person with multiple user names) have an ax to grind.

DC48080.... you and I don't often agree.... but we do this time!

Question for your question"Does a bear "shit" in the woods"?

Is a bullfrogs ass watertight?

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post

Or maybe a few people have simply been keeping up with the news. It wasn't an issue of someone having an axe to grind when the Detroityes forumers went after Kilpatrick, Bates, Conyers and Riddle. So why would you think that is the case now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ficano for governor? heh.. my guess is that snyder will get re-elected unless his policies crash and burn under the gop-dominated state legislature..
    Looks like his policies already have gasoline all over them, just waiting for a match.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast