Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit is America’s most stressed-out city

From the first item of Who's the Most Stressed?
    Detroit is America’s most stressed-out city and Salt Lake City is America’s mellowest, according to a study that calculated the unemployment rate, income, ozone level, crime rate, amount of sunshine, house prices, and average commute time in 50 metropolises. “People are fleeing Detroit. There’s been so much economic destruction there,” says Frederic Luskin, author of Stress Free for Good, who warns that these rankings might be questionable because in some areas, “people won’t admit to being stressed. It’s not part of their culture.”

Portfolio.com and Business Journals report, 2010 Streess [[sic) Rankings for Metro Areas
    Just in case there was any doubt.

And this is what? A revelation?

In other news, poop stinks.

Stosh Guest

Just wait until next year.

lilpup Guest

Whether or not the city is stressed really depends upon if its priorities are the same as the places it's compared to. There's a lot of stress in chasing and maintaining false images.

Charlie LeDuff comments on Detroit, the police and reality TV.

http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2010/11/19/04

What?! If this area was stressed, people would be finding or creating jobs for themselves. Either that or the sad reality is that Detroit is both stressed and lazy/complacent.

I've never known a more low-key large metropolitan, and it explains a lot.

DetroitPole Guest

In which city can the most angels dance on the head of a pin? What city has the greatest amount of mother's love?

These mindless, inane lists try to quantify qualitative emotions, which is absolutely moronic. It's 2010. How come things are stupider than ever before?

Mr. Houdini Guest

I was born and raised in the Metro Detroit Area. I left last year to take a job with GMAC [[now called Ally Financial) in Charlotte, NC. I feel much less stressed living here. That is absolutely true, for me at least.

Is it the nicer weather here? It is the people, who generally seem happier, more pleasant, less uptight and standoffish? Is it that after being laid off 3 times in 5 years working on auto accounts at ad agencies in MI, I finally feel confident I'll be able to remain employed? I don't know. But I sure am feeling a lot less stressed.

I'm not trying to bag on The D; just telling it as I feel it. I'm more at peace now.

^^ Well good for you. Detroit being the most stressed city is not suprising at all.

The methodology of these survey is nuts to anyone who has taken any graduate research classes.

I would expect Las Vegas to be really high up there for stress. It has seen much steeper declines in home prices than Detroit meaning many have lost fortunes. House prices are still falling fairly rapidly. It has like Detroit huge unemployment and crime is especially high - although it doesn't rival Detroit. Traffic is a disaster. The reason why I say its stress levels are high is that unlike Detroit most who went there did not expect any declines and there hadn't been any bad ones until the last few years. Detroit has had a steady decline over several decades. Many in Las Vegas are in shock that this has happened and that there is no end in sight.