Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: BET channel.

Blarf Guest

Default BET channel.

Does That really stand for Black Entertainment Television?

That's actually pretty racist. I bet if there was a White Entertainment Television channel, people would be having a fit. Nice double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Does That really stand for Black Entertainment Television?

That's actually pretty racist. I bet if there was a White Entertainment Television channel, people would be having a fit. Nice double standard.
    Actually, we have one. It's called Fox News.

BET is one of the few channels that feature AA follks. Sure you get token shows on various channels but for the longest time, black folks simply didnt have a TV outlet for their own.

I don't see any problem with BET. I doubt the "WET" acronym would ever pass the focus groups.

I did get a kick out of Harry Bentley, the token white guy in The Jeffersons.
    Paul Benedict arrived as Harry Bentley, a loyal, kind, friendly British next-door neighbor.... A common sight-gag of the show was George slamming the door in Bentley's face mid-conversation. Bentley also had a bad back, and frequently enlisted George to walk on his back, since he was the same weight as a Japanese woman who had treated his back in that manner.
    That's the fine art of using laughter to demolish stereotypes right there.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-20-10 at 08:48 PM.