Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default NYT: Mount Clemens in serious trouble- City asks for donations

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/us...?src=me&ref=us

I caught this today in the NYT. Mount Clemens is apparently facing serious debt problems and is reaching out the community for donations to support essential city services. The article also mentions Hamtramck and its recent plea for bankruptcy.

I read about this yesterday, it's unlikely but seems like a good plan. If you want services, pay for them. I'm sure those organizations are hurting too, but it's worth a try.

Is it ironic that the NYT is now a better source for local news than the News or Freep?

Freep had the story Friday.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...-begs-for-cash

Still, the NYT putting such an embarrassing news item on the national stage doesn't make metro Detroit look good - especially in the wake of Hamtramck's financial woes.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Freep had the story Friday.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...-begs-for-cash

Still, the NYT putting such an embarrassing news item on the national stage doesn't make metro Detroit look good - especially in the wake of Hamtramck's financial woes.
    Let's face it, our region is an embarassing news story, and probably will continue to be until regional leaders start cooperating on progress. Don't say we're going to build light rail; BUILD IT. Don't say we're going to attract new business to a renovated downtown; START ATTRACTING THEM. I don't know how many hours per week I spend online doing free PR work for the city/region talking up all of these proposed projects that never come to fruition, but it's getting old.

Suburbanites...always looking for a handout.

Don't say we're going to build light rail;
    I don't get why so many people see that boondoggle and some sort of panacea. It's a waste of money and resources, plain and simple. It won't do anything for Mt. Clemens that either I-94 or Gratiot have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    Suburbanites...always looking for a handout.

lol IKR!....