Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sigh....another liquor store

I was walking down Woodward yesterday and had noticed plans for a liquor store to open in the former Footaction or whatever sports apparel store that was location. Do we really need another liquor store especially one opening on Merchant's Row? The city must be hard up for tax dollars to keep allowing these liquor stores to pop up all over downtown.

It's better than a vacant building.

No it is not for you have all types of characters hanging around a liquor store. Go to the one on Griswold and go to the one on Broadway and you would see what I am saying. There should not be a liquor store on a potential main strip where retail is expected to return. I would prefer a Kim's Produce type of venue in that spot. A real small walk in walk out market. However, a market such as that is not needed being the it doesn't sell liquor and the city/state can't benefit off of the liquor tax.

There were all types of characters hanging around outside Cafe Detroit, too.

Where is Cafe Detroit? Is it on the corner of Gratiot and Broadway?

I call the aggresive pandhandlers, trouble makers, and dope peddlers characters.

A liquor store or a wine shop? Seems like an odd place for a liquor store.

Really bad place for a liquor store. Isn't there some zoning rules that will prevent this? After all, there's already one a block away over on Griswold. That area on Woodward should be set aside for retail clothing, jewelry, etc., as it always traditionally has been.

Is this the same location that DetroitDad was saying may become a small grocery store?

I'm not crazy about the new liquor store going into Greektown in the former Cyprus Taverna location either. It's 1/2 block away from another liquor store and perhaps 200 feet from the entrance to St. Mary's Church. Isn't there something in the zoning laws that a church that close has to sign off on it? If so, it's too bad St. Mary's didn't stop it.

Detroit needs all the legal, profitable, tax paying businesses it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    No it is not for you have all types of characters hanging around a liquor store. Go to the one on Griswold and go to the one on Broadway and you would see what I am saying. There should not be a liquor store on a potential main strip where retail is expected to return. I would prefer a Kim's Produce type of venue in that spot. A real small walk in walk out market. However, a market such as that is not needed being the it doesn't sell liquor and the city/state can't benefit off of the liquor tax.
    Kim's Produce wouldn't last a year in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Detroit needs all the legal, profitable, tax paying businesses it can get.
    Agreed 100% Just because it's a liquor store doesn't mean that it's going to cause a problem. There are many stores like that which are fine establishments......that provide a few jobs.....and tax money.....we all know that Detroit needs that.

It's not a matter of it causing a problem [[although it could do that), it's a matter of what that strip should be used for, and has traditionally been used for, which is mid-level to high-level retail. Not groceries, beer and liquor [[although I could maybe see a decent wine store there). If we want to be taken seriously again as a city, we should be about trying to attract those sorts of businesses downtown once again. I mean, could you see a liquor store being permitted to go in on Fifth Ave. or N. Michigan Ave.?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's not a matter of it causing a problem [[although it could do that), it's a matter of what that strip should be used for, and has traditionally been used for, which is mid-level to high-level retail. Not groceries, beer and liquor [[although I could maybe see a decent wine store there). If we want to be taken seriously again as a city, we should be about trying to attract those sorts of businesses downtown once again. I mean, could you see a liquor store being permitted to go in on Fifth Ave. or N. Michigan Ave.?
    I totally agree. If it was a wine store with expensive to mid expensive wine I could see it being a good fit. It will be not that type of store. Charles Pugh and members of the common council who had allowed this store to open on the strip are either paid off to do it or are very inexperienced in allowing it. I could understand if it was a market that sold items such as steaks, apples, idaho potatoes, coffee, items that a good grocery store sell. This store from it's label will not. It will be called, Jazz's groceries LOTTO, BEER WINE. Not good for that location There is a store like it on Griswold also on Washington Blvd and on Broadway. The planners, official, and Mayor is really selling that strip cheaply

I understand the concern with a liquor store being a tenant in a seemingly viable retail strip. However, I'm not familiar enough with the location to understand if this location will present the same conditions as other liquor stores in the less well off neighborhoods throughout the city. Is there a nearby parking lot? Are there no other nearby options? Every liquor store doesn't have to be the hang out for aimless winos or drug. I would suggest not patronizing the location for anything. If the demographic is shifting in the area, they will not be able to survive without a high percentage of their presumed customer base.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmc View Post
    I understand the concern with a liquor store being a tenant in a seemingly viable retail strip. However, I'm not familiar enough with the location to understand if this location will present the same conditions as other liquor stores in the less well off neighborhoods throughout the city. Is there a nearby parking lot? Are there no other nearby options? Every liquor store doesn't have to be the hang out for aimless winos or drug. I would suggest not patronizing the location for anything. If the demographic is shifting in the area, they will not be able to survive without a high percentage of their presumed customer base.
    There is a certain elected board that allows these stores to open in the city. Members of this board are elected during the Mayor's and council's election. Maybe the presidential election. That is why no one knows who they are but vote them in anyway. They could also be easily paid off without much fanfare unlike a Conyers or Kilpatrick. You have small retail businesses who would not want to open next to a liquor store. Even if there are no problems around the store. It is just bad for businesses. Why complain about an electronic display being placed on lower Woodward when there are liquor store opening up around the same area. I would rather have the display than the booze

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Agreed 100% Just because it's a liquor store doesn't mean that it's going to cause a problem. There are many stores like that which are fine establishments......that provide a few jobs.....and tax money.....we all know that Detroit needs that.
    Most of those jobs are kept in the families of those who own the stores. The ones who are not in the families of the owners and are employed are usually some young inner city females who are usually paid minimal wage and are constantly sexually harrassed

There is a certain elected board that allows these stores to open in the city. Members of this board are elected during the Mayor's and council's election. Maybe the presidential election. That is why no one knows who they are but vote them in anyway. They could also be easily paid off without much fanfare unlike a Conyers or Kilpatrick. You have small retail businesses who would not want to open next to a liquor store. Even if there are no problems around the store. It is just bad for businesses. Why complain about an electronic display being placed on lower Woodward when there are liquor store opening up around the same area. I would rather have the display than the booze
    I do understand the concern for a liquor store, but couldn't the neighborhood vote with its dollars and choose to go elsewhere? From my understanding, the space was vacant before. Any business that would be concerned about locating next to this one probably could have chosen to locate where this business is now located. I understand that this is not a business that the neighborhood needed, but it's not like it must last. Eventually the neighborhood will change and the business will become obsolete at meeting the neighborhood's needs.

Most of those jobs are kept in the families of those who own the stores. The ones who are not in the families of the owners and are employed are usually some young inner city females who are usually paid minimal wage and are constantly sexually harrassed
    Nice stereotyping....

If there's no liquor license then IT'S NOT A LIQUOR STORE....

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmc View Post
    I do understand the concern for a liquor store, but couldn't the neighborhood vote with its dollars and choose to go elsewhere? From my understanding, the space was vacant before. Any business that would be concerned about locating next to this one probably could have chosen to locate where this business is now located. I understand that this is not a business that the neighborhood needed, but it's not like it must last. Eventually the neighborhood will change and the business will become obsolete at meeting the neighborhood's needs.
    This is not in a neighborhood. It's right in the damn middle of downtown on Woodward.

OMG!!! They opened a party store next to a bar!!! The End is Nigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus christ. Who cares about a liquor store on the main street of downtown? What you're probably REALLY upset about is the lack of OTHER businesses. And if you ARE upset about a liquor store downtown, you need to widen your gaze a little. There's something much more worth getting upset about just beyond your peripheral vision ...

As long they don't mix blunt wraps with Mike & Ike's, it's okay with me.

checkraisej Guest

I would prefer a Kim's Produce type of venue in that spot.
    Then open one, then.

Oh, Jesus. That whole paragragh is so full of stupid statements that I'm not even sure what to say.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast