Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Searching for Detroit murals

I'm trying to locate some of the best murals in the city for an out-of-town artist. They can be of the amateur variety -- like the tribute to a dead woman on W. Vernor, across from the train station. Or they can be more professional -- like the mural of Mexican farm workers at Bagley and Ste Anne or the lovely new painting of a farmer and corn on W. Vernor near Livernois.

Where are your favorites? Thanks a lot.

By far the best murals in Detroit are the Diego Rivera murals "Detroit Industry" at the Detroit Institute of Art. These are considered 20th century Mexican muralist Diego Rivera's finest work.

Also of importance is the Ezra Winter mural at the far end of the Guardian Building's former Main Banking Hall. This enormous mural shows a map of Michigan with all of its' major industries in the 1920s. And in the middle of the mural is the goddess Michigana. Michigan native Ezra Winter later went on to do the main lobby's vast murals in NYC Radio City Music Hall.

Another source of great murals is at the [[now closed) Broadhead Naval Armory. In the armory are the finest Works Project Administration [[1930s) murals in the state of Michigan.

There's a memorial mural of Malice Green at West Warren and 23rd.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malice_Green

I've got a couple of the Diegos framed and on my wall as we speak. This is a bit off-topic, but the first year of the Grand Prix I bought a poster that was a take off of those murals, the workers building Formula Ones, it got destoyed during a move in the rain. Does anyone know of a source to buy a replacement?

EastSider Guest

The Hamtramck Post Office has WPA murals. Dennis Orlowski did some nice work in Pope Park. Anybody know if the murals on the former Holbrook Cafe are still there?

The second floor of WSU's student center has a WPA mural that was rescued from a post office. [[At least this is what I've been told)

On E. Grand Blvd and Oakland area there is a huge impressionist? mural for the North End studios building.

Also at Alfred and Dubois [[behind the BP) there is a really cool Detroit Lives! mural.

There are some Hamtramck/Poletown murals in the Hamtramck Public Library. And some in the community center on Joseph Campau across and down from the park where the Dodge historic marker and Col. Hamtramck grave are. http://www.detroityes.com/mb/newrepl...ote=1&p=199977

New murals on the American Beauty Iron building on Woodward side depicting the automotive heritage of the area!! Including one depicting Albert Kahn! Anyone know who did these murals?

Watching this mural grow on the side of the grocery store on Michigan Avenue, from conception to Michelangelo-3d reality has been a treat. One of the top five people I met in the past twenty-four months.

Southwest Detroit is a hot bed of murals.

Take a look.

http://bbandm.wordpress.com/2010/10/...of-sw-detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by txlady View Post
    I've got a couple of the Diegos framed and on my wall as we speak. This is a bit off-topic, but the first year of the Grand Prix I bought a poster that was a take off of those murals, the workers building Formula Ones, it got destoyed during a move in the rain. Does anyone know of a source to buy a replacement?
    txlady... that was the 1989 Grand Prix VIII poster [[not the first year)... I have a copy on the wall in my vestibule [[not for sale).... If you check Amazon.com or do an online search [[EBAY??), you might find one.

I've had fun photographing some outdoor murals around the city this past summer.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erdetro...7625053083545/ [[locations of each mural are also listed)

Thanks for the suggestions...er.detroit has the one that I found interesting: the huge "motorized" lion on the wall at the Russell Industrial Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    txlady... that was the 1989 Grand Prix VIII poster [[not the first year)... I have a copy on the wall in my vestibule [[not for sale).... If you check Amazon.com or do an online search [[EBAY??), you might find one.

Interesting, I didn't attend the 89 races, I was already in Texas by then. Regardless, I haven't been able to find a replacement. So again, if anyone has any ideas....

Don't forget the Jennifer Quigley outdoor murals: east side of 78 Watson [[Brush Park), Trumbull and Warren; and Hancock and Trumbull, both in Woodbridge.

I have the first Grand Prix poster [[red, helmet reflecting Ren Cen), as well as the Diego Rivera take-off [[1989).

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post

On E. Grand Blvd and Oakland area there is a huge impressionist? mural for the North End studios building.
    I lived in the area and watched as they painted that mural.I don't know what I expected but it wasn't the finished product. I'm no art expert by any means but the meaning&appeal of that wall is beyond me. Evidently though I'm the only one who doesn't get it. For months I watched as people from all walks of life came on foot,by car,&by cycle taking still pics&video of the side of that building[[formerly Iron Mountain). Dozens&dozens of cyclists stopped along their route to gaze at the painting. During prom season more than a few bus loads of kids came to have pictures taken in front of the blue wall. Everyone's in awe of the building yet I don't get it's meaning.
    It's draw is lost on me but the folks at the studio put in a lot of time&effort into the building.I was glad to see productive neighbors moving into the area. Just wish I knew what the wall was supposed to represent.
    Guess I'm not as hip as I'd like to think

There are several cool murals within Detroit Public Library's Main Branch on the third floor in Adam Strohm Hall: "Man's Mobility" by John S. Coppin
    "Cadillac's Reunion"
    and "Pontiac's Betrayal," of which I cannot find an image.

The Broadhead Armory has some beautiful Art Deco murals

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    The Hamtramck Post Office has WPA murals. Dennis Orlowski did some nice work in Pope Park. Anybody know if the murals on the former Holbrook Cafe are still there?

You can access information on Dennis Orlowski's murals on his web site.

http://orlowskimurals.com/index.html