Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Model A also gets a museum.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7404932.story

HICKORY CORNERS, Mich. —
    A museum celebrating Ford Motor Co.'s Model A is being planned for southern Michigan that will be housed in a building designed to resemble one of the automaker's old dealerships.

Organizers hope to break ground next summer on the Model A Ford Museum at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, about 115 miles west of Detroit. The effort to build the $1.6 million museum is led by the nonprofit Model A Ford Foundation Inc.
    Rest in the link

LDoolan Guest

This is a good thing. The Model T has it's own museum, the early V8 Fords have their own museum in Indiana.

Model A Ford Foundation is a good group. I've donated several Model A items for their files. As an owner of a few Model A's, I plan on paying a visit when they open up.

The truck[['31 A) that this key belongs to was built at the Rouge, so I needed an appropriate keychain. That's an original tool check from the Rouge.

Last edited by LDoolan; November-19-10 at 03:36 PM.

The Gilmore is a wonderful museum. This building will be a nice addition. Currently most of the cars are housed in barns that were restored and brought to the property by the Gilmore Family. The Gilmores were the Hudson's of Kalamazoo, owning a several location department store and media outlets.

A former Model A dealership, ideal for a museum?
    There's one on West Grand Blvd- former Hettche Ford/ Conyers Ford.
    It probably still has the old car elevator to get cars up to the 2nd floor and onto the roof top
    parking lot/show room.
    Bonus- Hitsville USA is across the street.

In Dearborn, on Michigan Ave- Fairlane Ford's building also was built for the Model A's. The showroom has been remodeled several times but the garage area has not. It has been used for the Body Shop for many years. There is no 'car elevator' to the 2nd floor or roof anymore, though- they built a steep ramp on the outside of the building to drive cars up to the 2nd floor. There was a GM dealer to the East of it that shared a wall, also an old 2 story bldg- it was the Pontiac dealer's body shop for years, and the Nissan show room, until Superior bought the franchises about 10 years ago.

Or, a little farther from Detroit, in Chelsea. Palmer Ford was in business 95 years, till they closed last year. And one of their buildings was also built to accomodate the Model A.
    Last edited by econ expat; November-20-10 at 02:43 AM.

Detroit Planner--the Gilmores were also investors/owners of Upjohn, and I think the majority of their fortune came from that business. They were involved in many business ventures. The Gilmore museum buildings and grounds are beautiful.

LDoolan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post

Or, a little farther from Detroit, in Chelsea. Palmer Ford was in business 95 years, till they closed last year. And one of their buildings was also built to accomodate the Model A.
    I have a couple of promotional items from Palmer Ford in my collection. One is a ruler used to check the fuel level in a Model T and a chrome license plate frame a friend gave me. If I can find the right box, I'll take a couple of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    This is a good thing. The Model T has it's own museum, the early V8 Fords have their own museum in Indiana.

Model A Ford Foundation is a good group. I've donated several Model A items for their files. As an owner of a few Model A's, I plan on paying a visit when they open up.

The truck[['31 A) that this key belongs to was built at the Rouge, so I needed an appropriate keychain. That's an original tool check from the Rouge.

Whenever you want to part with a couple of Model A's, think of me, I'll give them a good home.