Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bye Bye Farmington Borders Books

This place was always such a disappointment. I tried to find Wells Towers's Everything Ravaged a week after it had been the cover review in the NYT book review and not only did they not have the book but no one had heard of it. [[not that great a book but never mind). This was part of a pattern. I'd read a good review of a book in the NYT or WSJ and this Borders was clueless. "We can order it" was what I was always told. Well, I can do that for myself on Amazon, that's what drove me away from their brick & mortar to the internet for new books. Hearing about their going out of business sale today gave me a chuckle. As a book lover, I guess I'm sad to see all bookstores close, but man, did this store waste my time when I drove to their location with a 20% coupon in my hand for a book that they would never have.

lilpup Guest

Don't expect Borders to be around much longer at all. A few weeks ago they had another mass culling at headquarters and reportedly won't even confirm how many people are working there anymore. One of the book buyers who had been there 26 years was among the casualties and not too long ago a recently hired CEO walked away from the company.

Borders is getting booted out of their flagship Michigan Ave location here in Chicago for UK chain Topshop.

lilpup Guest

No, they didn't get booted. They've discontinued leases on a number of properties that were excessively high rent.

Books? Music? Yeah there is a download for that.

Quote Originally Posted by narnarnar View Post
    This place was always such a disappointment. I tried to find Wells Towers's Everything Ravaged a week after it had been the cover review in the NYT book review and not only did they not have the book but no one had heard of it. [[not that great a book but never mind). This was part of a pattern. I'd read a good review of a book in the NYT or WSJ and this Borders was clueless. "We can order it" was what I was always told. Well, I can do that for myself on Amazon, that's what drove me away from their brick & mortar to the internet for new books. Hearing about their going out of business sale today gave me a chuckle. As a book lover, I guess I'm sad to see all bookstores close, but man, did this store waste my time when I drove to their location with a 20% coupon in my hand for a book that they would never have.
    It's impossible to do business there
    The amount of theft chased them out
    Employees were stealing left and right
    Nobody around there reads anyway
    Taxes must have chased them out
    Corrupt government must have been on the take
    Everyone should just leave there since it is appraently unable to maintain a business.

Oh wait, it was in Farmington? Ignore all of the points above - those only apply to businesses that close in the city

The Borders in Farmington Hills has been "closing" for years. Every time I go in there, it gets smaller and smaller and they've always had a lousy selection. The latest nail in the coffin was totally walling up the back of the store where the music used to be.

I'll just stick with going to the Novi location as long as I can. It would be a bad day if and when that site closes.

Haha. Five years ago, the executive board was lowering pay for employees, hoping to turn them into shelvers [[who cares if they read?) and using profits for stock buybacks. Perhaps they have a little buyer's remorse now.

I have always found the Borders in Novi or Birmingham to be the best ones to go to.

I can't even picture where in Farmington a Borders books is. True I don't get out there much.

Is that the one on Orchard Lake?. I was in there once seemed kinda dead like most of the Borders I go to except Ann Arbor and Canton. I basically go to either one of the two big chains for only one thing to buy a quarterly called the Rodders Journal. Usually I hit the bargin books and find something, thats about it anymore.
    I miss the Little Professor stores most of all.Having gotten used to reading stuff on the net, I can see why the brick and motor stores are a dying breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I have always found the Borders in Novi or Birmingham to be the best ones to go to.
    I like the Novi store too, but it isn't what it used to be. They've removed some shelving over the last couple of years, and increased the non-book [[cards, games, what-not) stock. They're carrying a much smaller book inventory than they used to.