Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Canadien leader backs bridge open to oversight

May 6, 2009

Canadian leader backs bridge open to oversight

Transportation minister criticizes Maroun's proposed span, promises transparency

By JOHN GALLAGHER
    FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
    Speaking in Windsor today, Canadian Transportation Minister John Baird said his nation is committed to building a new publicly owned bridge between Detroit and Windsor.

And, in language somewhat veiled but unmistakably aimed at Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel [[Matty) Moroun, he said any new crossing must be subject to public oversight, as many complain Moroun’s privately owned Ambassador Bridge is not.

In an interview with the Free Press and in his prepared remarks, Baird emphasized the need for a new border crossing and said his government was “unwavering” in its support for the planned Detroit River International Crossing [[DRIC) project, to be built about two miles downriver from the existing Ambassador Bridge.

He also noted that alternative proposals, like Moroun’s plan to build a new span next to his Ambassador Bridge, were unacceptable for environmental and other reasons.

“Let me assure you: This crossing will be owned by governments and will be subject to rigorous public oversight to ensure the public interest is safeguarded,” Baird’s prepared remarks, supplied in advance to the Free Press, said. “And what it will be is accountable to governments.”
    “This is the biggest, most important infrastructure project in the country,” Baird said in the interview of the DRIC project. “We’re moving full speed ahead.”
    Contact JOHN GALLAGHER: 313-222-5173 or gallagher@freepress.com.

John Baird is one of the biggest jokes in the Harper government, I can't stand that guy.

I thought you were talking about Bob Gainey when I read the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I thought you were talking about Bob Gainey when I read the thread title.
    Ahahahaha. Maybe 'Le Gros Bill' Jean Beliveau?