Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default La Shish restaurant revival?

... In Dearborn on Michigan Avenue, I see where the closed-down La Shish restaurant right next to the Pantheon Club, there's signage [[on the club's video billboard) that indicates that the restaurant will re-open "soon".. I guess that the club owners are trying to revive the restaurant, and bought the name.. anyone know anything about the possibilities of La Shish re-opening?

Don't know about the restaurant but it certainly won't be the original owner... Talal is laying low in Lebanon, and based on how the US government feels about him, I doubt you'll see him in Michigan again.

The original owners are looooonnnnng gone! I would suspect it is someone wanting to capitalize on the name and location.

Many of their cooks are still in the Metro area and some have set up shop in "La Marsa" franchises. The food is just as good as "La Shish" used to be.

Yeah, new entrepreneurs -- who labor to stress they are unconnected to the La Shish folks -- are reopening former La Shishes under various names. Usually the "La" will clue you in it was once a La Shish.

EastSider Guest

Unless it's like the former La Shish on Hall Road that reopened as Palm Palace.

There is a place called Sheesh over on Newburgh and 5 mile in Livonia that has the exact menu [[and it's great) that La Shish had. My wife loves the joint and their carry out business is thriving too.

It'll take some pretty big shoes to fill the space as LaShish did. They were my all-time favorite Middle-Eastern restaurant right from get-go. I'll give the new place a try or two. In the meantime, Royal Kabob on Caniff in Hamtramck does a mighty fine job - good food and good service. And they're reaching out to the community by providing foods for non-profits and neighborhood organizations. Give Royal Kabob a try.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    It'll take some pretty big shoes to fill the space as LaShish did. They were my all-time favorite Middle-Eastern restaurant right from get-go. I'll give the new place a try or two. In the meantime, Royal Kabob on Caniff in Hamtramck does a mighty fine job - good food and good service. And they're reaching out to the community by providing foods for non-profits and neighborhood organizations. Give Royal Kabob a try.
    Isn't helping out "community organizations" what got Chahine in trouble in the first place?

Dabirch Guest

I meant to add, "allegedly..."

Well, you know, there are community organizations, and then there are community organizations...

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Well, you know, there are community organizations, and then there are community organizations...
    And the U.S. State Department -- part of the same government that has killed a million people in the last decade -- gets to decide which are legitimately humanitarian and which are "terrorist." Nice work if you can get it ...

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    And the U.S. State Department -- part of the same government that has killed a million people in the last decade -- gets to decide which are legitimately humanitarian and which are "terrorist." Nice work if you can get it ...
    One of the perks of being the freely elected, legitimate governing authority over the wealthiest and most militarily advanced nation on the planet, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    One of the perks of being the freely elected, legitimate governing authority over the wealthiest and most militarily advanced nation on the planet, I suppose.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI

Dabirch Guest

That's awesome. One of the most inspiring Hal Riney pieces I have seen in a long time.

Right on. Some people accept them at their word. Terrorists are now being found in elementary schools. Police departments are now being funded and supplied by Homeland Security. Should you have a legal difference, an armored, military vehicle may show up on your doorsteps. Whatta life........

woodwardboy Guest

Ah yes.. good to see Hezbollah is making a comeback in Dearborn... guess the Feds can go back to busting real criminals like pot heads...

Sahara in St.Clair Shores on Harper between 8 and 9, is the best.
    Ask for Sammy. He will treat you like a King.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    Ah yes.. good to see Hezbollah is making a comeback in Dearborn... guess the Feds can go back to busting real criminals like pot heads...
    The basic Federal law enforcement strategy as it relates to terrorism is to make us feel as if they're doing something to keep us safe. In fact they aren't, because they can't. The only way to defeat an enemy who isn't afraid to die is to kill him, and we can't do that en masse, so we pretend to fight in other ways. The "war on terror" and the "war on drugs" have that much in common. They are both structural failures; they can't succeed, but the government is afraid that if it stops pretending to fight we might figure out it knew all along that all it could do is lose.

They think, in short, that we are a bunch of imbeciles; but we keep electing the same kinds of people, so perhaps they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    makes you wonder if Hezbollah can run a successful chain of restaurants in the USA, image what Al Qaeda could do if they got into the auto business.....
    Give Al Qaeda a chance.........to become capitalists. They've beaten our pants off in the war department.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Sahara in St.Clair Shores on Harper between 8 and 9, is the best.
    Ask for Sammy. He will treat you like a King.
    I ain't taking your word for nuthin'. Anyone who can slip into my place disguised as a preppy is suspect in my book. All that sports coat and slacks and clean shaven crap. Gotta watch out..........

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    The basic Federal law enforcement strategy as it relates to terrorism is to make us feel as if they're doing something to keep us safe. In fact they aren't, because they can't. The only way to defeat an enemy who isn't afraid to die is to kill him, and we can't do that en masse, so we pretend to fight in other ways. The "war on terror" and the "war on drugs" have that much in common. They are both structural failures; they can't succeed, but the government is afraid that if it stops pretending to fight we might figure out it knew all along that all it could do is lose.

They think, in short, that we are a bunch of imbeciles; but we keep electing the same kinds of people, so perhaps they are correct.
    Thank you, thank you.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Thoughts on Terrorism

Unorganized terrorism is what happens when a oppressed people have no peaceful means or outlets for changing their environment and situation. Organised terrorism is what happens when those same people are manipulated into following the ideologies of a corrupt individual or organization.

Basic instinct [[initial fight or flight) must be shelved here. The only way to eliminate terrorist threat is to increase openness and freedom while reducing seclusion and segregated power. In other words, we need to create outlets for these people that utilize life instead of death, to affect their world.

We need to empower the terrorists. Instead we are hiding from them, naked, in the back room at Metro airport, with a TSA agent jiggling our jollies with a gloved hand, while his supervisor watches with a box of tissues.

http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogspot.com/

There's a Sheesh in Ann Arbor, too. Closest I've come to the original thing.

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    There's a Sheesh in Ann Arbor, too. Closest I've come to the original thing.
    Carpenter Road? It's no longer a Sheesh. It's a Palace or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast