Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Abandoned Vehicle plants

Paul Clemens published an excellent op-ed essay in the paper this morning. I hope the link works. He is one of the area's exceptionally talented writers.
    It is a fascinating time in the vehicle business. There appear to be an exceptionally large number of new models introduced at this time and several new firms - Indian, Chinese and Italian - have entered the US market. I hope that I am not too pessimistic in observing that the Depression decade was also a time when producers tried to sell innovative new models including the well-made Rockne that Studebaker assembled on Piquette, the Chrysler Airflow, the extremely stylish Graham Paige models that did noat sell so well and the two thousand or so Huppmobile Skylarks that have been distinguished collectors cars. Maybe this decade's array of innovative cars will be much more successful and be produced for years to come.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/op...=1&ref=opinion

Check the DYes Hall of Fame threads. The Abandoned Auto Factory thread is at least 25 pages long.

Wow! The Abandoned auto thread is amazing! I never realized the scale of the factories in Detroit. It breaks your heart in a way.

I thought I would comment, and maybe some others might "discover" these amazing threads.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Great reading! These threads are a great historical resource. I enjoy the personal input of former workers but also sons and grandsons of folks who worked at these plants. Detroityes is along with the Soulful Detroit and other forums certainly the top model site for city forums around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Great reading! These threads are a great historical resource. I enjoy the personal input of former workers but also sons and grandsons of folks who worked at these plants. Detroityes is along with the Soulful Detroit and other forums certainly the top model site for city forums around the world.
    Those atdetroit threads are what got me hooked a long time ago. I seriously think they should be accepted in the Library of Congress or something as a historical resource.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Somehow I've never seen that thread before, thanks.

Definitely that thread is the most interesting thread I've ever read anywhere, and I agree - they are a fantastic historical reference. To me they are very bittersweet. On one hand it makes me proud that this area of the world had such a confluence of genius, technical know how and guts, but on the other hand it's sad to see how far everything has fallen away.

Just below the half way point on thread #10, poster Hornwrecker compiled a four page list of factories, functioning or otherwise, throughout the area. Print it, and make a fun weekend of chasing old car factories. Or keep the list in your car and refer to it whenever you get tired of sitting in traffic and decide to take the backroads.

Come on up to Pontiac.I'll show you abandoned vehicle plants.Sad.