Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Garden Block Developments

I was walking past the buildings last night and the bottom floor was all light up and there were people either cleaning or inspecting it. [[I was on the east side of Woodward, so it was hard to see)

Do you think a tenet is looking to move in?

Looks like they are calling it "Woodward Gardens" now, not the "Garden Block". While on the surface I think Woodward Gardens sounds kind of generic, the name is paying homage to the Garden Theatre. I like to see these kinds of historical allusions. The developer has a website up now with photos, although there are none of the Garden Theatre rehab. It's amazing how much better the Blue Moon building looks than the adjacent new construction. Kudos to the developer though for adding street level retail and for trying to match the historic look of the Blue Moon with that new building.

http://woodwardgardensdetroit.com/index.php.

One thing to note from their About Us page, is that there is a Phase IV plan, which would add 4 stories on top of the 2 story commercial structure containing 47 apartments....I wonder when they plan to undertake that project?

entire first floor of the new portion of the garden building will be the offices of the UCCA. floors above have been leased out to medical professionals [[i think in conjunction with wayne state? can't remember the specifics). the blue moon building is currently unleased, but has possible prospective tenants. phase 3 will include the renovation of the garden theatre, building, and adjacent 2 story building. phase 4 is the demolition of zakoors and the construction of a mid-rise building to include around 47 residential units [don't worry, the owners are working with zakoors to get them into a new home in the future]. construction has not started on the latter 2 phases yet.

Great update - thanks! That block is already looking really good and it sounds like it'll only better. Any chance you know of a rendering online of the proposed mid-rise? Additionally, do you know a time table on the last two phases?

One other question for anybody - you know the big abandoned building in the back of this photo. With that area showing so much investment I look at that as a key potential building block for a more walkable neighborhood. Anyone know if there are any plans at all for that building?
    Last edited by stinkytofu; November-19-10 at 02:54 AM.

I haven't heard anything about plans for that building, but I've always wondered what will happen to it too. Such a waste, there is still hope for it though. It would make some nice apartments.

there has been a rendering done, i think by mcintosh poris. i've seen it, but can't seem to find it online anywhere.

there has been no timeline given for the completion of the last two phases. it's my impression that the majority of the financing is in place, but it seems they may be waiting for something. i.e. it has more legs than most announced projects, but concrete deadlines haven't been set for construction.

originally the plan for this block included the bank on the corner and renovation of the abandoned apartment building. the bank would've been demo'd and a new residential structure built in it's place, with the bank relocation to the ground floor. the two residential structures would've been linked and tied to the new parking structure via a bridge over the street. however, the bank backed out and there was a lot of red tape with obtaining the apartment building, so the project emerged as specified above.

as far as i know, since then, there has been no interest or movement on that particular building. sad thing is that it was occupied a few years ago and had all new windows installed...

Quote Originally Posted by rsa.313 View Post
    entire first floor of the new portion of the garden building will be the offices of the UCCA. floors above have been leased out to medical professionals [[i think in conjunction with wayne state? can't remember the specifics). the blue moon building is currently unleased, but has possible prospective tenants. phase 3 will include the renovation of the garden theatre, building, and adjacent 2 story building. phase 4 is the demolition of zakoors and the construction of a mid-rise building to include around 47 residential units [don't worry, the owners are working with zakoors to get them into a new home in the future]. construction has not started on the latter 2 phases yet.
    Where is this information from?

Where is this information from?
    the developer and sue mosey.

Wayne State has leased the upper floors as offices for some medical school faculty

Any word on how.if the renovation of the Garden Theatre interior itself is progressing?