Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Michigan will be getting a La Nina Winter.

It has been reported the NOAA that Michigan will be getting a La Nina type Winter. This means from November to Late December temperatures will be hanging in mid to upper 50s After December 23rd, temperatures will plummet severely to bitter cold temperatures. There will no January thaw occuring, The bitter cold temperatures will last until Late February. By early March temperatures will rise slowly to upper 40s lasting til mid April. There will numerous Winter Storm watches and warnings. Blizzards might be possible during January into March. Be prepard for this snow emergency. The intire Metro-Detroit will be effected by almost 2 feet of snow every 4 to 5 weeks during mid-winter.

Thanks Mr Hodak.

Oh, Michigan has winter? And snow?

Allow me to predict next summer: sometimes warm, sometimes hot, sometimes rainy, sometimes sunny, sometimes cloudy, then fall. Man, this is fun!

By the way, the NOAA defines La Nina as "La Niña is associated with cooler than normal water temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific Ocean, unlike El Niño which is associated with warmer than normal water."

LodgeDodger Guest

Blizzards? Crap. Since retiring, the outdoor work [[including shoveling snow) is my job. Mike, can you ask 'em to forecast something else? I'd consider it a favor...

Fascinating. February in FL is looking good. Their cold is our "nice day."

There will numerous Winter Storm watches and warnings.
    Even if it is only an inch of snow!

detroit needs to get ahead of the game with the salt trucks.. is there still supposedly a salt shortage? with the metro detroit area sitting on top of salt mines [[and one company has exclusive rights to mine it), there is unending irony to that..

No salt shortage at all.

MikeM thanks for the great link that was insightfull info.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Mike, can you ask 'em to forecast something else? I'd consider it a favor...
    I'll do my best to disrupt the jetstream, but I won't be held responsible for the results.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    detroit needs to get ahead of the game with the salt trucks.. is there still supposedly a salt shortage? with the metro detroit area sitting on top of salt mines [[and one company has exclusive rights to mine it), there is unending irony to that..
    The only "shortage" was how much the cities bought, not how much was/is available for purchase.

I believe in the window forecast. All you need to do is look out the nearest window, what you observe will tell you everything you need to know about that day's weather.

Gonna get so cold that the lawyers gonna have their hands in each OTHER's pockets!

Viva ice!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I believe in the window forecast. All you need to do is look out the nearest window, what you observe will tell you everything you need to know about that day's weather.
    We have something similar at Casa Lodgedodger--it's called the "Weather Deck". betterhalf looks outside and if the deck is white, it has snowed...

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    By the way, the NOAA defines La Nina as "La Niña is associated with cooler than normal water temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific Ocean, unlike El Niño which is associated with warmer than normal water."
    And those cooler water temperatures cause changes in the winds, which, in turn, impact weather patters.

Bottom line: Detroit will see a lot more snow than normal this winter.

Our state has a salt mine under one side and miles of sand dunes on the other. Our roads should never be slippery. Also, I think the road commissions were using beet juice to treat some highways which I heard was a successful experiment. Aren't there still fields of sugar-beets growing in-between the salt and the dunes?

Yet our streets and highways are invariably treacherous to drive on when the weather gets bad, which, go figure, it does every single winter no matter where in Michigan you reside. I'm guessing we must have the stupidest road authorities in the nation. Or, hmm, maybe just the stupidest population for continuing to put up with the lack of proper resource use.
    Last edited by Corn.Bot; November-16-10 at 10:16 PM. Reason: syntax

One does not need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Three months of winter, followed by two months of mud. Then, if one wants to see a beautiful peninsula, just look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Our state has a salt mine under one side and miles of sand dunes on the other. Our roads should never be slippery. Also, I think the road commissions were using beet juice to treat some highways which I heard was a successful experiment. Aren't there still fields of sugar-beets growing in-between the salt and the dunes?

Yet our streets and highways are invariably treacherous to drive on when the weather gets bad, which, go figure, it does every single winter no matter where in Michigan you reside. I'm guessing we must have the stupidest road authorities in the nation. Or, hmm, maybe just the stupidest population for continuing to put up with the lack of proper resource use.
    Just because the raw materials are located nearby means absolutely nothing when it comes to preventing slippery road surfaces. The critical variables are the rate of snowfall, the speed and direction of the wind and the outside temperatures, all of which are outside the control of the "stupid" road authorities. The road authorities must also operate under the constraints of their manpower and equipment budgets, for which the "stupid" taxpayers refuse to provide unlimited funds.

Another recent limiting factor is that the elected representatives of the "stupid" population passed a law requiring all salt stockpiles to be stored under cover to prevent rainfall runoff from contaminating local waterways. The "stupid" authorities cannot purchase any more salt than they can hold in the salt storage structures they had to build to meet the new law. Later in the winter as their salt reserves are depleted, the "stupid" authorities are at the mercy of their suppliers and often cannot purchase additional amounts at any price.

The winter roads are treacherous only because too many stupid people drive faster than they can safely stop their vehicle.

The biggest holdup on plowing roads is money. The price of salt is up. And the cost of manpower is an even bigger factor. The more snow mean road commissions/city have to dip into their paving budget to cover it. Since they are strapped for cash, expect to see it take a long time to plow/salt roads that are not primary roads.

It can't wait til we get a 3ft blizzard in Metro-Detroit Area everything will be grinding to a halt for 2 weeks. Rooftops of buildings and homes will be leaking and collapsing. Roads and sidewalks will be covered. There would no place to go. I love winter in Michigan. I can at least get some breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post

And yet it's cheaper for to buy Salt from out of state. Too bad the Detroit Salt Mine doesn't have better river access, it would lower their costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The biggest holdup on plowing roads is money. The price of salt is up. And the cost of manpower is an even bigger factor. The more snow mean road commissions/city have to dip into their paving budget to cover it. Since they are strapped for cash, expect to see it take a long time to plow/salt roads that are not primary roads.
    And this is why I think this thread is worthy of more than just "it's Michigan, we're going to have snow" comments.

The budgets of every community in Michigan are tight. One city in our area is filing for bankruptcy. Others may be on their way.

And NOAA is predicting this year's snow fall will be approximately 20% above average.

Who is going to move all of that snow from the roads? And how are we going to pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    And this is why I think this thread is worthy of more than just "it's Michigan, we're going to have snow" comments.

The budgets of every community in Michigan are tight. One city in our area is filing for bankruptcy. Others may be on their way.

And NOAA is predicting this year's snow fall will be approximately 20% above average.

Who is going to move all of that snow from the roads? And how are we going to pay for it?

And yet everyone wants to belittle those of us that think MDOT should put its resources into the Michigan roads that are driven on by millions of people a day as opposed to the DRIC Bridge that will only see about ten thousand a day at best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast