Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit AM And Gospel Radio

There are some local Polka programs, and Mexican music on AM, as well as entertaining gospel shows on Sunday. 'Apostle' U-R-I-A-H encourages listeners to bring their ten percent to the station on West Mcnichols, in return for some 'blessins'. When I used to head south of the eight mile border on Sunday photo shoots, Id listen to preachers bellowing out sermons, and gospel choruses-bands getting down with the holy ghost! Years ago, I think it may have been 103.5 around the same time as the 'pastor' Vogle show, a lisping-southern accented preacher lamented how "I used tuh mess wif de akahawl"...hilarious and entertaining stuff!

One of the programs in particular, the Polka Palace? Plays on Sunday and several weekday evenings. Ever listen to college radio?

Reverend Huriah Boyington, if you listen to his "sermons", has been givin' out lottery numbers for YEARS! He even had a live [[or taped) show, early mornings on channel 20, for a minute. Jack-leg preacher to the hilt!
    I miss Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg most of all...

Quote Originally Posted by DorianWrites View Post
    Reverend Huriah Boyington, if you listen to his "sermons", has been givin' out lottery numbers for YEARS! He even had a live [[or taped) show, early mornings on channel 20, for a minute. Jack-leg preacher to the hilt!
    I miss Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg most of all...
    Lol thats him alright. I almost bought a sealed copy of a Martha Jean record album, as I collect vynyl and am interested in Detroit history....

Worked with Queen from '88-'91, first as her gospel producer and production guy, then I did mornings for her. I tried several times to talk her into playing all gospel, something that I think the city would have embraced. As a white kid from the burbs, she taught me lots about gospel music and to this day I still enjoy the sound of a gospel choir in full voice. No one on Detroit radio has been able to touch her quality of music and preaching.

Miss you, Queen. God Bless You and we still love you.