Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Brooklyn Street Grill

I was sad to see recently that the Brooklyn Street Grill at Brooklyn and Michigan Ave closed. It was cheap and pretty good food. Also, the white couple that ran the place were really nice. I remember one of them saying that they are from the suburbs, I wanna say downriver.

I use to often frequent Brooklyn on weekends and get either their take on the Big Mac or their delicious mexican omelette. Was excited to see a sign on the window saying they were undergoing renovations, but now several months have passed and, you're right, it doesn't look like they're returning. Sucks.

Never say never. Sometimes renovations take a lot more money and time than originally thought. I think it will reopen.
    The family is from the neighborhood, some members live in the suburbs, but most still live in Corktown.

A new restaurant is opening in this spot.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

Does is seem weird that someone who had never visited Detroit buys a building to open up a restaurant??

Why is that weird? Someone was attracted to Detroit to open a restaurant. Seems like a good thing. Doesn't have to have any negative connotations with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Why is that weird? Someone was attracted to Detroit to open a restaurant. Seems like a good thing. Doesn't have to have any negative connotations with it.
    I agree. Maybe it is best to come in not overloaded with what was and focus more on what is. For a lot of reasons, and not all unjustified, a lot of locals get blinded and hung up on negative aspects to the point where they cannot see opportunity. Slow's, which has ignited the whole Michigan Avenue revival, would never have happened with such a jaded view.

The fact is that Detroit has been getting a lot of positive press in the past year and I think a lot of people see a golden opportunity to start something in the city. This is a great thing for the city.

I agree with drjeff that the press coverage has gotten better and national media have been looking at positive stories to relay. There are a lot of things to do to improve the condition of Detroit but the upside is that this provides alot of opportuities for the entrepreneurial class. Gilbert is at one end of the real estate spectrum but his approach is deemed exploratory also. The interesting thing about Detroit remains the vastness of opportunities to reclaim the residential and commercial value of the inner city by regional or national investors.

There is as much interest by the forumers about small business as there is for big players. If one looks for the right conditions for development, the ball doesnt move. There have to be speculators that take chances big and small. On the other hand, you have to create better conditions to keep the ball rolling. I think that the Cobo hall expansion will add to the pulse around the riverfront and that is an example of creating favorable conditions for further development in leisure and tourism.