Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Woodward East" Housing-1976?

Can anybody tell me if the city built a housing project called "Woodward East?" I think it was a US Bicentennial idea for Detroit. I've seen signs in Brush Park for an "East Woodward" housing, but I wonder if the original l970s plan was ever built. I'm from out of the area, unfortunately, and can't get to Detroit as much as I'd like [[daily)
    Thanks for your help.

I'm foggy on details, but what I remember is that Coleman Young had a honey who was funneled a couple of million to remake Brush Park. The money went to turning a couple of streets into pedestrian-only malls or parks; also I think they built some fountains that couldn't hold water and some tasteful sculptures made from railroad ties.

I'm a little foggy on details, too, but if you're really interested in answering your question, I'm pretty sure a student who is now a professor at College for Creative Studies addressed that issue in her dissertation for a PhD in history at WSU. Her name is Julie Longo. I think she is head of liberal arts education at CCS. I would just give her a call.

Coleman Young's "honey" was Joyce Garrett.

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it.

Woodward East was the name of the original plan to remake and save what latter became known as Brush Park. The project was a major recipient of the bicentennial money that came to Detroit from the feds, and was indeed run by Mayor Young's girlfriend of that time, Joyce Garrett. It was basically a scam, and, other than the aforementioned brick pedestrian malls and a few other dubious 'improvements', most of the money simply disappeared without a trace. When this missing money was noticed, the news was, as I remember, pretty quickly swept under the rug and all professed their ignorance of what hat happened to the missing funds.

As a result, the emptying out of what had been an occupied, albeit poor, neighborhood up until that time was set in motion. Historic houses were left empty and open on now closed streets that filled up with street people. People who were trying to rehab the old homes found themselves abandoned by the city, dangerously isolated, and without the funds they had been promised. And the whole thing turned into perhaps the greatest missed opportunity in a city whose modern history seems to be made up mostly of missed opportunities.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-15-10 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Woodward East was the name of the original plan to remake and save what latter became known as Brush Park. The project was a major recipient of the bicentennial money that came to Detroit from the feds, and was indeed run by Mayor Young's girlfriend of that time, Joyce Garrett. It was basically a scam, and, other than the aforementioned brick pedestrian malls and a few other dubious 'improvements', most of the money simply disappeared without a trace. When this missing money was noticed, the news was, as I remember, pretty quickly swept under the rug and all professed their ignorance of what hat happened to the missing funds.

As a result, the emptying out of what had been an occupied, albeit poor, neighborhood up until that time was set in motion. Historic houses were left empty and open on now closed streets that filled up with street people. People who were trying to rehab the old homes found themselves abandoned by the city, dangerously isolated, and without the funds they had been promised. And the whole thing turned into perhaps the greatest missed opportunity in a city whose modern history seems to be made up mostly of missed opportunities.

This should be the federal case that would get the People of Detroit to impeach Mayor Young out of the office and charge his girlfriend Joyce Garrett for embezzlement. If Mayor Young was out of office then the pro-temp or a special election would commence. The City Council at time was mostly white with one black city councilman in 1976. Maryann Mahaffey was a member at the time and very young. She wasn't pro-temp but she did heard about the missing fed money for Woodward East Housing Project. After Young was out of office in 1976 than a possibly a white candidate like Costa would run for Mayor of Detroit vs. Isaiah Mckinnon, The 1st Black Detroit Police Chief). and Isaiah McKinnon will win.