Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

lilpup Guest

Default Detroit chapter of NAACP suspended

The Detroit chapter of the NAACP has been suspended due to its failure to pay its debts to the organization's national headquarters.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...l-headquarters

I've often wondered about certain things. I'll bet the local chapter's financials are long overdue for an audit.

Not surprised. I've had issues with that branch since I was a teenager. Many, many stories...

Buy American Guest

Wendell Anthony took lessons from his mentor, thug KK on how to skim and hide money that isn't his.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor48 View Post
    Plus Detroit has a shortage of Colored People

Detroit has "advanced" some Colored People who never should have been advanced except to jail..

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Not surprised. I've had issues with that branch since I was a teenager. Many, many stories...
    share a story, if you wouldn't mind..

hopefully things will get better for local activism agencies.. i'll have to check out their next public meeting..

Another black eye on our area.

The NAACP is silent on many issues to deliver the democratic vote no matter where the party goes. LOL! It's a closed set up in a way, especially the way the 'click and tick' bourgeoisie operate here in the D... You have to have the right names, connections and be on the 'correct' side of politics or you're an outsider. Which is ok with me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Detroit has "advanced" some Colored People who never should have been advanced except to jail..
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-10 at 02:06 PM.

>>>Anthony, president since 1993, told the Free Press the Detroit Branch is unique because "We're the only branch in the country to host a sitting president, a sitting vice president, secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

Probably all sucking down good size salaries. I noticed that they moved their headquarters from East Grand Boulevard to I think 2nd, behind the Fischer Building.

Anthony means that the Detroit Chapter's annual fundraiser dinner [[ the largest in the country) is such a prestigious podium that it has hosted four speakers of that rank. Great. But what happened to the funds raised that he can't pay the dues? Think the national office must asking same.

This could have gone on longer had it not gone so far... oh well! It's out now. Those 'cotillion' style dinners have so little relevance to the real interests of those whom they claim to represent as to be -- well useless. Except as a showcase set up for said funds collecting. Now monies appear to have been diverted, to a level where even the chapters dues are not PAID! Now what's up with that?

This resembles the standard boiler-plate corruption ala city of Detroit style management; where the greed and corruption gets so out of hand the base infrastructure itself is undermined in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Anthony means that the Detroit Chapter's annual fundraiser dinner [[ the largest in the country) is such a prestigious podium that it has hosted four speakers of that rank. Great. But what happened to the funds raised that he can't pay the dues? Think the national office must asking same.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-10 at 02:25 PM.

Love the way Anthony responds with a diversion - look at all the great and powerful we've hosted - rather than addressing the issue. A tried and true Detroit non-response.

'Diversion' and 'justification' are the standard responses employed. I would not expect any creativity or uniqueness here... LOL...
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Love the way Anthony responds with a diversion - look at all the great and powerful we've hosted - rather than addressing the issue. A tried and true Detroit non-response.

Yep, ham handed response when you're caught red handed.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Motor48 View Post
    Plus Detroit has a shortage of Colored People
    Not if you count all the White folks who visit TANNING SALONS regularly.

Want the "color" but not the BURDEN of the "color".... Typical cowards....

For the record, this African American female did/does not ascribe to the CURRENT approach that the NAACP has taken to solving social/racial justice. The 21st century version of the NAACP is a polar opposite of its original template started by WEB DuBois and Ida B. Wells Barnett.

Criminals of EVERY COLOR need to be dealt with accordingly. And to take advantage of folks who contributed to this organization and to have their money mismanaged in this way is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    The Detroit chapter of the NAACP has been suspended due to its failure to pay its debts to the organization's national headquarters.

Colour me ignorant but I've often wondered why the NAACP didn't change it's name to something other than "Colored People". Isn't that a phrase that most... [[what term is PC these days??) people of colour don't wish to be referred to as? I'm not trying to be a smartass... just asking a question that has always left me wondering.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Colour me ignorant but I've often wondered why the NAACP didn't change it's name to something other than "Colored People". Isn't that a phrase that most... [[what term is PC these days??) people of colour don't wish to be referred to as? I'm not trying to be a smartass... just asking a question that has always left me wondering.
    Because it's a long established identity - just like in brand marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    share a story, if you wouldn't mind..
    I'm sure if she wanted to, she would have. I know she is not shy about writing nor is she shy about expressing her opinion.

Because it's a long established identity - just like in brand marketing.
    I understand that but I just thought that the name was so dated... time for a new "brand"?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    I understand that but I just thought that the name was so dated... time for a new "brand"?
    Never change a name if you believe it to be your primary identifier - change the logo, change the size, change the price, even change the ingredients or policy, but never the name.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I'm sure if she wanted to, she would have. I know she is not shy about writing nor is she shy about expressing her opinion.
    Yes, but these days, I'm pretty busy. Usually people just PM if they want to know something.

There isn't space on DYes to tell the stories. The things I witnessed/overheard/experienced were so frustratingly dysfunctional until I wrote a fictionalized account about it that I tried to publish 7-10 years ago, and failed... agents and publishers kept telling me there was no audience for it, and that the events I described were totally unrealistic. Hindsight is always 20/20... back in 2000, the shenanigans of the Detroit elite were probably really obscure topics for NYC literati. I've thought about polishing the thing and trying again, but it'll have to wait for a while.

You might have an audience now, today with so many blogs and DIY self-publishing options more info is getting out.

Indeed who-da' thought the 'shenanigans of the Detroit elite' would become such a national consumable ala Kilpatrick et al. And now we have this... Yeah, I've heard some stories too. This ain't the NAACP of my parents era.

It'll be interesting to see how Anthony 'damage controls' this further and who comes to his rescue and what they say. All of that will be most 'revealing' as it already has been..........
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Yes, but these days, I'm pretty busy. Usually people just PM if they want to know something.

There isn't space on DYes to tell the stories. The things I witnessed/overheard/experienced were so frustratingly dysfunctional until I wrote a fictionalized account about it that I tried to publish 7-10 years ago, and failed... agents and publishers kept telling me there was no audience for it, and that the events I described were totally unrealistic. Hindsight is always 20/20... back in 2000, the shenanigans of the Detroit elite were probably really obscure topics for NYC literati. I've thought about polishing the thing and trying again, but it'll have to wait for a while.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-15-10 at 04:39 AM.

Never change a name if you believe it to be your primary identifier - change the logo, change the size, change the price, even change the ingredients or policy, but never the name.

You mean like Coca-Cola to Coke, or Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You mean like Coca-Cola to Coke, or Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC ?

Those names are results of nicknames from the name brand that became just as identifiable, if not moreso, than the original name brand that was created by the customers themselves. Therefore, when people hear KFC or Coke, they know exactly what product you're talking about.

The letters NAACP is the same way for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. After that, there isn't a more identifiable name for the brand that the public calls it. There's a whole lot more to branding and copywriting than simply changing the name.