Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Married at city hall?

Has anyone gotten married at city hall? If so what did you have to do?

rugbyman Guest

I don't know about Detroit specifically, but my wife and I were married in the Berkley court last year. It's really pretty straight forward. Just go to your county building and buy your marriage license. It's something like $50, if memory serves. You'll need your birth certificates. They mail it to you in a few days.

Did you have someone in mind to actually do your wedding at City Hall? I don't know if Detroit has a "marriage" window or something, but you can probably schedule something in one of the courtrooms with one of the judges. I'm pretty sure you just need someone in a position of authority to solemnize the marriage. We just had the judge do it and it was actually a really nice service. To the point, but very nice. We got a little certificate with the "riot act" he read.

gravitymachine Guest

i have friends who were married in a group ceremony in the large council chamber on the 13th floor of the CAY, there were probably 30 couples total. i'm not sure who to contact about it though, perhaps the city clerks office? the only part of the process i was privy to was signing a paper at the clerks office stating that i was the groom's witness

There is another thread on this forum of someone looking for a photographer; they're getting married at city hall. [["timmyjohn") Why don't you ask them?

Because he's not getting anywhere if he asks himself.

Last time I got married in Detroit, you had to go down to the City-County Building to get your marriage license from from the Wayne County Clerk's office. After that there was a brief "cold feet" waiting period of, if I remember correctly, 3 days before the actual marriage could be legally performed. Then, if you wished, you could return to the clerk's office to have your wedding performed by them, for a fee. It was a kind of assembly line operation, with many weddings held at once. But everyone was in a party mood, which actually made it kind of fun.

This was over 20 years ago now [[and the marriage is long gone), but I'm sure that the county still does this, as do counties throughout the state. Why don't you try checking the Wayne County website?

diver1369 Guest

Eastside Al, The expression I use is that the marriage didn't work, but the divorce has been a great success.

I will check out there web page thanks. Another question. Do you have to get a blood test. Some people say yes some say no.

Michigan didn't require one back when I got married. Just official copies of both parties' birth certificates. But again, you should look at the Wayne Co. website to confirm.

rugbyman Guest

You don't.

A couple of my friends chose to go down to Toledo to marry, where there is no waiting period.

http://www.lucas-co-probate-ct.org/M...cense_page.htm
    Last edited by rooms222; May-08-09 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjohn View Post
    I will check out there web page thanks. Another question. Do you have to get a blood test. Some people say yes some say no.
    You don't have to get a blood test. You used to have to attend an AIDS/STD education class if you were getting married anywhere in Detroit or Wayne County. I don't know if you still do though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    You don't have to get a blood test. You used to have to attend an AIDS/STD education class if you were getting married anywhere in Detroit or Wayne County. I don't know if you still do though.
    I just looked at the Wayne County Clerk website. You don't have to take the class anymore. They just give you the materials to read yourself.

Thanks for the help.