Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to go for dinner TONIGHT?

As a local, I have been to many of Detroit's great restaurants...but right now I am stumped. Any suggestions of a unique wallet friendly experience?

I live downtown, so anywhere is fine, two people, mid to late twenties...Piano, jazz, folk music. I dig it all.

Do not want heavy food, maybe something on the lighter side.
    Last edited by Planner3357; November-12-10 at 11:37 AM.

What type of food are you looking for/what type of environment?

Really anything...I know thats broad...but not Greektown for anything!
    Some good music, low key...american food I suppose.

Yes, if you haven't tried Cafe D'mongo's in Capitol Park, you must. It's only open on Fridays. They serve two main dishes, BBQ chicken or BBQ ribs with a choice of 3 sides, including collard greens, mac 'n cheese, black-eyed peas, and potato salad. The food is outstanding and you can split a meal between two people for under $5 a piece. Drinks are reasonable and a live piano singer entertains you with all of the classics. Beyond that, the decor of the place is so unique, it looks like something out of a movie. I took a friend who works uptown there a few weeks ago, and a group of us are going back there to celebrate his birthday tonight. D'mongo's is one of Detroit's many diamonds in the rough.

Roma Cafe in Eastern Market or Vince's in Southwest for Italian. Sinbad's for dependable American. No music, however.
    Last edited by Neilr; November-12-10 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Venture out of the city and try your taste buds at an Applebee's, Olive Garden, Chili's, or Texas Roadhouse.

Mmmmmm....I love pre-cooked chain restaurants. Great idea. I'm pretty sure the beautiful and culturally diverse city of Livonia can accommodate.

Friday is fishday. Nice and fried. Any suggestions?

Groupon has a coupon for Atlas Global Bistro that was offered today!

Southern Fires is awesome for fried fish. I had the catfish there over the summer...you want good southern food...this place is awesome.

Planner, you might get more appropriate suggestions if you would be kind enough to supply additional information.

How many people? 1 or 7? What time-frame? 6pm to eat? or 10?
    Are you 23 yrs or 58?
    Where will you be starting from and ending at? Will you have to meet up with the rest of your group?
    Your single hint is low key atmosphere with music; fine, but early evening choices are few. Is a piano bar something you'd like or are you looking for folk singer, a jazz combo?
    Price range? $20 per or $150?

The folks here can be very helpful, but you need to give them something to work with.

Buddy's Rendevous may fit the bill.
    Union Street
    Warren Ave in E Dearborn has plenty of arabic places.

Roll throught the Eastern market. Pick up a couple small filets and a few nice size crab legs. Don't forget a bottle of wine.

Go home and make your own. Turn out the lights and eat by candle. Play whatever music fits the moment.

There you go. Wonderful, thoughtful dinner and drinks for about $30. Plus you always cash in a little extra when you put in the time to do the cooking yourself.

When I'm stumped I also often head out to the DIA area, right on Woodward there is Wasabi and Good Girls Go to Paris. Wasabi isn't always cheap, but I really like the food. They have sushi, Japanese noodle dishes, and Korean entrees like bibimbop [[sp?). Don't be in a hurry if you go there, there are lot of college students working there and they take their time. I don't mind sitting there for a while, though, so long as the sake keeps flowing.

Good Girls Go to Paris is next door to Wasabi and they offer savory and sweet crepes, all around $10 - I suggest getting three between the two of you and sharing them all. Not much atmosphere at GGGTP, but you can eat there. No booze.

Wah-Hoo is pretty good, too. It's the same sushi menu as Fishbone's, but also with P.F. Chang's-style entrees. It's at Shelby and Congress. Their weekend hours can be sporadic, I always call ahead to make sure they are open and that they are offering their full menu. This place is really nice for after-work happy hour - nice fruity and strong drinks.

I offer these places because I don't think they'll be too jammed on a Friday night [[not like Slow's or Greektown would be). Also, there's always Mexicantown - Los Galanes or Lupita's - both affordable, fast and delicious. Across the way El Comal has Central American food and I've never seen that place busy.

To repeat what someone else said Groupon.com has a 1/2 off coupon today for Atlas Bistro. You don't have to use it today, but it gets you $40 worth of food for only $20. You'll spend more than that at Atlas, though, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Planner, you might get more appropriate suggestions if you would be kind enough to supply additional information.

How many people? 1 or 7? What time-frame? 6pm to eat? or 10?
    Are you 23 yrs or 58?
    Where will you be starting from and ending at? Will you have to meet up with the rest of your group?
    Your single hint is low key atmosphere with music; fine, but early evening choices are few. Is a piano bar something you'd like or are you looking for folk singer, a jazz combo?
    Price range? $20 per or $150?

The folks here can be very helpful, but you need to give them something to work with.
    From the OP's initial post:

"As a local, I have been to many of Detroit's great restaurants...but right now I am stumped. Any suggestions of a unique wallet friendly experience?

I live downtown, so anywhere is fine, two people, mid to late twenties...Piano, jazz, folk music. I dig it all.

Do not want heavy food, maybe something on the lighter side. "

Since you live downtown, you more than likely have already been to Floods, Roast, the Anchor, Lager House, etc.

The following will require a car. Each place is old-skool. All have food. Each has music tonight.

http://www.dakota-inn.com/web/pages/home/

http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/

http://www.nancywhiskeydetroit.com/W...s/StartXX.html

Both the Cadieux Cafe and Nancy Whiskey won't be starting their music until 7:30 or later.

If you have never been, would suggest the Dakota Inn if for no other reason than you will not believe the place. One the location is a tad funky, but the lighted and guarded parking lot, will make sure your car is where you left it. Two, the interior and atmosphere is as close to an authentic German beer hall as you will find this side of the Atlantic. Three, the food is good. If you don't know what to get, I suggest the combo plate. Also, make sure you order the kartofelpuffen or potato pancakes. The best of all time. Four, the music selection is unusual. Tonight they are having a group sing-a-long. Yes. You will not believe that a drunken sing-a-long with a bunch of strangers would be fun, but it really is.

The place has been there since 1933, still owned by the same family, same recipes. If you have ever wondered how your grandparents had fun before TV, you owe it to yourself to find out.

Whatever you choose, please report back with a review.
    --
    Trumpteer, I saw the OP, wallet-friendly is vague to me. Sorry, but your wallet and mine might be different. Also, I understand that Planner lives downtown, but is that the same for the other person? Will a meet-up have to take place? Is parking an issue. Sorry if you didn't like my request for additional information, but I thought xtra info could help out others who might like to make suggestions.
    Last edited by gnome; November-12-10 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

The following will require a car. Each place is old-skool. All have food. Each has music tonight.

http://www.dakota-inn.com/web/pages/home/

http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/

http://www.nancywhiskeydetroit.com/W...s/StartXX.html

Both the Cadieux Cafe and Nancy Whiskey won't be starting their music until 7:30 or later.
    I love the Cadieux! The Belgian Onion Soup is the best soup I've ever had.

You should get reservations if going to the Dakota on a Friday or Saturday this time of year - but it's worth the wait, too. I think it's sing-along time, which means $3 at the door as well [[make sure you have cash).

Easy..... Go to Pegasus.... I plan on doing so.

Try going to the open night art reception @Ligget University School at 7m this evening info 313 884-4444 ext 313 Manoogian Arts Wing 1045 Cook Rd

Buy a Grosse pointe paper for 1/2 off second entree coupon for Antonios 15117 Kercheval GPP

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Mmmmmm....I love pre-cooked chain restaurants. Great idea. I'm pretty sure the beautiful and culturally diverse city of Livonia can accommodate.
    My, my - just how adventuresome are you? You might actually find something to your liking in Livonia and you will have found it all by yourself & then you can recommend it to others - if you dare. Otherwise go to Ferndale/Royal Oak and pick something safe.
    Last edited by BRAZZMAN; November-12-10 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    My, my - just how adventuresome are you? You might actually find something to your liking in Livonia and you will have found it all by yourself & then you can recommend it to others - if you dare. Otherwise go to Ferndale/Royal Oak and pick something safe.
    Yes...I guess I shouldn't knock Livonia and all its wonderful chain restaurants. Suburbia at its finest. Maybe I should check out Wasteland, er, Westland while I'm at it and get a little culture.

If you find anything in Westland, do share. My mother-in-law lives there and always wants to go to Texas Roadhouse. It would be nice to find something else for a change.

Angelina's Bistro, Grand Circus Park is my suggestion.

Cliff Bells or Harmonie Garden [[Third and Forest) - no entertainment at Harmonie that I know of.

Scotty Simpsons for fish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast