Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Lest We Forget

Default Lest We Forget

To all servicemen and women from past and present, I cannot express my gratitude for what you have done for me. From the pain to the happiness and comraderie, it is an experience never to be forgotten.

To all those who went before I will forever be indebted to your supreme sacrifice.

Lest We Forget.

Yes, it is Veteran's day. My dad served in Korea...
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    To all servicemen and women from past and present, I cannot express my gratitude for what you have done for me. From the pain to the happiness and comraderie, it is an experience never to be forgotten.

To all those who went before I will forever be indebted to your supreme sacrifice.

Lest We Forget.

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month ...

Laying Down Arms

By PETER LINEBAUGH
    On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month the Great Powers of the World signed the armistice laying down arms after four years of the bloodiest war in history. That was 1918.

Now, we call it Veteran's Day.

What caused the armistice was the refusal of soldiers to fight. They refused 'to go over the top' anymore. In Russia, France, England, Italy they refused to participate in the slaughter which had begun in 1914.

What we learn from Armistice Day is that the soldier is the front line of the peace movement.

http://www.counterpunch.com/linebaugh11112010.html

That is nice revisionist history on Peter Linebaugh's column but it isn't true.

In Canada it is called Remembrance Day. We [[along with the Brits) wear poppies leading up to this very important historical day. Too bad it wasn't the war to end all wars....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month ...

Laying Down Arms

By PETER LINEBAUGH
    On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month the Great Powers of the World signed the armistice laying down arms after four years of the bloodiest war in history. That was 1918.

Now, we call it Veteran's Day.

What caused the armistice was the refusal of soldiers to fight. They refused 'to go over the top' anymore. In Russia, France, England, Italy they refused to participate in the slaughter which had begun in 1914.

What we learn from Armistice Day is that the soldier is the front line of the peace movement.

http://www.counterpunch.com/linebaugh11112010.html
    Nerd, that is total bullshit and you know it. The naval blockade of Germany had almost starved the country and their army. The advent of US troops had meant that the Germans were badly outnumbered on the western front and were being steadily pushed back towards Germany. Their front was a very thin crust that would have been overwhelmed by the allies 1919 offensive. The German government sued for peace.

Attachment 7765

here's a small graphic I cooked up

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Nerd, that is total bullshit and you know it. The naval blockade of Germany had almost starved the country and their army. The advent of US troops had meant that the Germans were badly outnumbered on the western front and were being steadily pushed back towards Germany. Their front was a very thin crust that would have been overwhelmed by the allies 1919 offensive. The German government sued for peace.
    I agree with Hermod and I'll take the opportunity to add that had it not been for the fact that Allied forces - including the 4,500 men of "Detroit's Own" 339th Infantry Regiment - were sent to North Russia in Sept. 1918, even more German divisions would have probably been released from the Eastern Front to bolster their outnumbered forces on the Western Front.

Very nice Veterans Day program at the Great Lakes National Cemetary near Holly. Cannon salute, jet flyover, rifle salute, songs and short speeches made for a very thought-provoking morning. Next years program will be on 11-11-11 starting at 11 AM.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post

Lest We Forget.

They did what they did so we could do what we do.

Thanks.

World War I was one of the most senseless wars in history.... the sheer number of soliders sent into battle to be slaughtered defies comprehension.

I've visted Verdun... the small town in eastern France that was for a while wiped off the face of the earth... where the heirs of Voltaire and the heirs of Goethe bled each other white by the hundreds of thousands... in unimaginable horror...

Detroitnerd is partly correct in one case... the commanders on both sides of the war front sent their soldiers into the no-man's land as cannon fodder in staggering numbers. By 1917, when the US got involved... American commanders balked at continuing the folly of just sending in wave after wave of soldiers to be mowed down like clay pigeons.

And even the soldiers were often baffled as to who the enemies really were... their governments, not the people.

Here's some scene clips [[based in fact) from the movie Joyeux Noel, a French award winning movie that showed the Christmas day truce, and how the opposing sides actually celebrated Christmas together along a few parts of the front [[and absolutely pissing off the rulers/military commanders on both sides)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8SN-Eci3U
    Last edited by Gistok; November-11-10 at 04:25 PM.

My late father,USN WW2.My uncles,US Army WW2.I,USAF 75-79,all thank you.We were all proud to serve.

gdogslim Guest

god bless all the sercivemen/women who fought for this country to keep us safe from the fascists.

Thanks for the thread GOAT! you are a hero. I served in Viet Nam in 1969 and its good to get some respect instead of being labeled losers, baby killers and such by many during the war. Thanks to everyone on this thread.

Thank You Vets

Thanks for the thread GOAT! I had the oppertunity to thank a Vet at the Beer Store on the 10th and he seemed genuinly suprised to hear it, and it made me sad.And then of course since he hasn't done enough for me already he says "no, thank you!" to me! He looked great, wearing his blue blazer and grey dress pants, all his medals on his chest. Guy was getting about 5 cases of beer lol

Thanks again for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    Thanks for the thread GOAT! you are a hero. I served in Viet Nam in 1969 and its good to get some respect instead of being labeled losers, baby killers and such by many during the war. Thanks to everyone on this thread.
    Philbo you summed it up perfect. I second the thanks to everyone on this thread.

69-70 7th Security Police Squadron, Tan Son Nhut Air Base

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
    Philbo you summed it up perfect. I second the thanks to everyone on this thread.

69-70 7th Security Police Squadron, Tan Son Nhut Air Base
    I hope this doesn't come out wrong or mean, but I almost refuse to accept thanks from a Vet. I would almost prefer a "you're damn straight boy!" when I say thank you to them lol. There isn't anything or enough I could do in my life that would require it from a Vet. Everything we do in life, all of us, we owe to Vets.
    I mean, this Veteran I thanked at the Beer Store...seriously? Thank ME? No, no, no. I havn't done a damn thing. This guy could've been nothing more than a torso and would have still said he was just doing his part in the war lol.

God bless you men and woman, from every generation, I don't know where we'd all be today without you