Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Military Records

Hi you guys,

We see quite a few genealogy threads on here so I thought I would pass this along. Now through Nov. 14th you can search military records free on Ancestry.com

http://www.ancestry.com/militaryreco...10&o_lid=44910

Happy Veterans Day!

Thanks for the tip, Lferg.

ok, so i tried searching for my dad's records with no luck. i gave name, date of birth, residence, race, enlistment date with no luck. any ideas from anyone.

Try searching with less information. Also, if its from WWII a lot of them are not available, I can't find either of my Grandfather's records.

If you want to pm me with the information I'll be happy to see if I can find anything for you.

i did try the "less information" thing and that didn't work either and yes dad served in WW11. also, is the information input by relatives or is it something that is just there because of all the military paperwork, public records, etc.?.

The 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis resulted in a HUGE loss of military records.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mil...fire-1973.html

Yep...know all about the fire, my Grandfather's and Great Grandfather's records were lost.

Maof, the records are actual military records. The WWI draft cards are fabulous! The WWII records are hit or miss. I had a huge break with one of my relatives when I found his and his brother's draft cards, until then I never knew he even had a brother. It turned out one draft card listed his birth town in Russia, the other listed another brother in Detroit. The draft cards will list date and place of birth, nearest relatives, employment, and will even give a physical description.

Try "creative" spellings of the last name too, the index is far from perfect.
    Last edited by Lferg; November-12-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    i did try the "less information" thing and that didn't work either and yes dad served in WW11.
    Damn, I missed the last nine.

awww shit, i knew i was gonna do that but, you know what i mean...lol