Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default some Harleys to be assembled in India

I've been looking at new Harleys one made in India isn't even an option for me
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/as....html?hpt=Sbin

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I've been looking at new Harleys one made in India isn't even an option for me
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/as....html?hpt=Sbin
    It says the parts will be built here, but the bikes sold for the Indian market will be assembled in India. So wouldn't that still be a net gain in jobs for the US, and you wouldn't have to worry about ever purchasing one since the Indian assembled bikes would only be sold in India? That's what I took from it.

Wow. You'd think this would be ONE company that'd figured this out.

Cracks in their armor. Everything they do now will be suspect.

Thanks for the knowledge, Dday.

Cheers

Why is it that we have to import vehicles and other crap from other countries but we have to set up shop in theirs? Not saying that what H_D is doing is right or wrong [[perhaps too expensive to buy if imported into India) but it seems to happen to a lot of what used too be built in N. America.

Buy American!

I remember a few months ago there was a contract problem with the union at their plant in Wisconsin , it was a take the offer or we'll shut the plant down type of thing . I think the union took the deal .

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    It says the parts will be built here, but the bikes sold for the Indian market will be assembled in India. So wouldn't that still be a net gain in jobs for the US, and you wouldn't have to worry about ever purchasing one since the Indian assembled bikes would only be sold in India? That's what I took from it.
    This is the same shady path that other U.S manufacturers have chosen. G.M made a similar excuse when they started building factories in China [[ Supposedly to supply the Chinese market) now the tail lights on the Chevy Malibu are marked "Made in China" and the wheels on the Cadillac Escalade are cast in some polluted Shanghai factory. I give it 3 years before the Indian Harley Davidson factory is building parts and sending them back to be used on "American made" bikes.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-11-10 at 08:17 PM.

The union did take the deal, it was a shitty concessionary contract. I don't trust this company one bit, they'll probably shift all manufacturing over there, bit by bit.

But hey, we get mangoes.

gdogslim Guest

does that mean i can buy a cheaper harley? than 20,000

Supposedly, these Asian countries do not allow American companies to own facilities there [[must partner with a local company), have restrictive import quotas [[unlike us) and manipulate currency so that the only way to sell much there is to build it there. Not really fair. Maybe Obama's trip will change that. Then again, never underestimate the greed of any public company and its Wall Street bosses. Nor Americans who don't really give a fuck as long as they get theirs.

it was a take the offer or we'll shut the plant down type of thing
    American companies can't seem to figure out that if you boot the union at the end of thier contract and then hire non-union labor that you'd have ten thousand people lined up ready to work... expecially with today's economy.

Toyota, Kia, and BMW are doing just fine in the US without Unions.

Companies With Unions : GM requires Government money to stay in business, Ford keeps pulling itself from the brink of collapse, and Chrysler.... Chrysler is a joke that has been bought and sold multipel times, that no one really wants....

You don't have to close. Just go non-union and then finally make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    does that mean i can buy a cheaper harley? than 20,000
    Not likely. They'll cut [[labor) costs and raise prices. After all, it's a Harley Davidson - not just a motorcycle, but a lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    The union did take the deal, it was a shitty concessionary contract. I don't trust this company one bit, they'll probably shift all manufacturing over there, bit by bit.

But hey, we get mangoes.
    After H-D got what it wanted from the unions at York, PA and then Milwaukee, they are now going after the plant in Kansas City. Same threat, agree or we move operations someplace else. And I don't like mangoes either.

You know, Papasito. You really do get what you deserve in this life. What a bunch of horse shit you spout. Go press your jorts.

Cant wait for the India to catch on to the free spirit of Harley riding. Imagine 3 million of these guys replacing the moped- rickshaws for something more virile...

Then Bollywood's take on this; a bevy of sari-clad beauties dancing and screeching their approval at high pitch. What a glorious sound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    American companies can't seem to figure out that if you boot the union at the end of thier contract and then hire non-union labor that you'd have ten thousand people lined up ready to work... expecially with today's economy.

Toyota, Kia, and BMW are doing just fine in the US without Unions.

Companies With Unions : GM requires Government money to stay in business, Ford keeps pulling itself from the brink of collapse, and Chrysler.... Chrysler is a joke that has been bought and sold multipel times, that no one really wants....

You don't have to close. Just go non-union and then finally make a profit.
    Toyota is doing just fine? Ford is pulling itself from the brink of collapse?

I know people don't like reading newspapers anymore, but c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I've been to India. Importing cars an motorbikes is expensive and there's an extra VAT on them. Assembling cars and bikes makes sense if you're a manufacturer. Most major European and Japanese carmakers have factories over there. Some older models are made there which were discontinued in the domestic market. One notable example was the Fiat Uno, which was still in production in India whereas in Europe production of that model ended years ago. Royal Enfield bikes [[calling itself the oldest motorcycle maker in the world), modeled after bikes dating from the 1930's, are still a frequent sight on Indian streets.

Yes, this is a brand spanking new motorbike.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-13-10 at 09:47 PM.

gdogslim Guest

harley's time is past, they over built capacity, the hippies are aging and the younger gen aint gonna buy em like before, real simple, you'd think they could figure a simple thing out.

I would think a Royal Enfield [[also made in India) would be a better alternative for their roads.