Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Forget peak oil, have we reached peak chocolate?

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2274337/

I think i'll go eat a case of Droste now

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    http://slatest.slate.com/id/2274337/

I think i'll go eat a case of Droste now
    I am completely freaked out right now. OMG.

Chocolate shortage! Argh... say it ain't so!!!!!! Once in a while I love to have some nice dark chocolate candies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I am completely freaked out right now. OMG.

DetroitDad Guest

We are actually reaching the peak of a lot of things. Our great planet has basically been stripped of a vast array of the cheap resources. Remember, it's not any single problem that we are facing that is so bad, but the convergence of problems all at once, that has done us in.

PS: Please note that I am now speaking in past tense, not future or even present. The time for action being effective has likely passed. Many now believe that the next twenty years will probably be unlike anything we have seen in the past twenty years.

The TV news report I saw said that more and more growers are abandoning cocoa and switching to fodder for bio fuels, which is apparently more financially lucrative.

Anyone watching the news knows that some mysterious faction purchased Europe's cocoa production in total earlier this year.

Anytime Ghirardelli's 86% is on sale, I'm buying in lots of ten. Enjoying tiny pieces of it as if it were rationed. Learning how to savor a little instead of gorging a ton.

Trick-or-Treat, anyone?!

Ravine Guest

I adore chocolate, but I'm fortunate in that my taste, for it, is not all that discriminating. If really good chocolate becomes hyper-expensive or nearly unavailable, I'll be OK; I'll settle for bags of M&M's or Three Musketeers bars, Snickers, whatever. And I'll pay double for them, if necessary. You only live once, goddamit.

I laugh when I see, or hear, taste tests for things like brownie mixes. This one is too grainy, this one's too sweet, etc., blah blah. Man, fuck alla that. If you don't like 'em, give 'em here. Even mediocre chocolate, in whatever form, is still a joy to me.

Ravine must be my twin. To his likes, I'll add a big dish of chocolate ice cream covered in Hershey's syrup. Dab of whipped cream would be nice, too, but I'm usually too lazy for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I adore chocolate, but I'm fortunate in that my taste, for it, is not all that discriminating. If really good chocolate becomes hyper-expensive or nearly unavailable, I'll be OK; I'll settle for bags of M&M's or Three Musketeers bars, Snickers, whatever. And I'll pay double for them, if necessary. You only live once, goddamit.

I laugh when I see, or hear, taste tests for things like brownie mixes. This one is too grainy, this one's too sweet, etc., blah blah. Man, fuck alla that. If you don't like 'em, give 'em here. Even mediocre chocolate, in whatever form, is still a joy to me.
    Have you ever tried this brand? I'd say it was sub-mediocre.

http://www.rmpalmer.com/

Thank god for chocolate and beer...............and salsa.

I don't really care for chocolate. The ultra-dark, bitter stuff is alright.

Carob is a decent chocolate substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Thank god for chocolate and beer...............and salsa.
    A beer shortage... Now that would be a scary prospect.

So thats why those chocolate/coffee flavored beers are so expensive.

gdogslim Guest

i'll eat some mackinaw packed fudge

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Now THAT would finally get middle America off their couches and into the streets!

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Have you ever tried this brand? I'd say it was sub-mediocre.

http://www.rmpalmer.com/
    Yeah, just the look of the page and the packaging pretty much screams, "don't eat this."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    AHHHH! SHUT-UP SHUT-UP SHUT-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus man, I just broke into a cold sweat..... Don't even say stuff like that!

Yeah, just the look of the page and the packaging pretty much screams, "don't eat this."
    I'm glad you have some standards.

Our great planet has basically been stripped of a vast array of the cheap resources.
    Irresponsible people are having four five and six kids they cant support, then act like victims and wonder why the nations of the world are going broke, the Earth is overpopulated, and why resources are diminishing.

I always thought this brand was imitation chocolate flavored wax....

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Now THAT would finally get middle America off their couches and into the streets!
    Yeah, you're right. That might be what we need to get people in the streets again. Have a charge on Federal Buildings in DC like those in the 60's. 'Stop the War, NOW'! Oops, I mean 'Stop the Beer shortages, NOW'!

Did someone say chocolate and beer?

http://www.midwestmicrobrews.com/201...latestout.html

Chocolate and Yoga?!

http://www.yogashelter.com/

This Friday or next, I don't remember.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast