Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Getting Back to Detroit: a small rant

Hey fellow forumers, hope everyone is doing well. I have an issue [[well, actually several but just one I want to speak about now...) and just want to get as many ideas & suggestions as I can.

I currently work for a company that has decided to move their location to Lake Orion from the inner ring 'burbs.

My problem is, I HATE everything about this upcoming move but primarily, I detest the location. [[I actually spoke to the Gen. Mgr. about moving to the City and was shot down due to "taxes"..mmm hmmm, sure). I feel since we spend a good majority of our day at work, ideally it should be in a place that complements you at best or is tolerable at worst and this location equates to Hades for me. Lake Orion is the epitome of suburban blandness and I can already feel what creativity I have being squelched amd stomped down.

Now, I know everyone is probably thinking why don't I just get another job? Yes, I know but easier said than done since I want to work in the City [[or very near it) and I'm aware of the difficulty of finding employment there.

So, I know many of the people here have a lot of good ideas - does anyone have any suggestions on finding work in or near the City? I have my MBA and three years of experience in IT and I am presently working on a Technical Writing degree.

Any and all ideas welcomed and thanks for letting me vent...

Never, ever, quit a job without having another lined up and 100% sure. Not a promise. Not a longterm freelance gig, nothing. A job.

Lake Orion is actually pretty old. In the 1830s it was founded by a couple of Upstate NY sharpies. They built an entire city. Mills, a sawmill, stores, a canal system, water and sewer systems, the whole thing. It was beautiful. They then went back to NY and sold stock in their land company: Lake Canadaqua. The folks poured through the Erie Canal, Lake Erie and worked their inland only to discover the city of Lake Canadaqua existed entirely on paper.

It wasn't renamed Lake Orion until the 1850s. Oh, and Bald Mountain was origianlly called Ball Mountain, ... history out that way ain't terrible, but you have to find it.

Hey Gnome,

Yeah, I know I'd never quit a job in MI without having another lined up. The job market here is still too uncertain to be doing that.

Nice job on the history of that area as well

In all reality, it's not really the town so much as the attitude of many of my coworkers who all seem to live right there and continually bash the city [[especially since the Pistons may move back downtown). It gets extremely old after a while.

I am making a plan this weekend on how I can accomplish my goal of working in the City.

Thanks for listening, hope to see you at a meet-up soon!

it's not really the town so much as the attitude of many of my coworkers who all seem to live right there and continually bash the city [[especially since the Pistons may move back downtown). It gets extremely old after a while.

Can you work with some headphones on attached to a music player ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Can you work with some headphones on attached to a music player ?
    lol, I do that already but sometimes even those don't drown out the negativity.

You can go to Mickey Lolich's donut shop. That is if its still there.
    Dont want to bash Lake Orion but it isnt a place for city guy to hang out in

Roq, I sympathize with you. Nowadays I work in Auburn Hills and live near Detroit. The best times of my life were the eight years or so that I worked in downtown Detroit. I also lived in Detroit approximately 15 years. i can't say I miss living there as much as I miss working there. Depending on your job skills maybe an eventual move to a downtown job is a good idea for you. Best of luck. Lake Orion isn't so bad, but like you it just isn't the same to me as Detroit.

it's not really the town so much as the attitude of many of my coworkers who all seem to live right there and continually bash the city [[especially since the Pistons may move back downtown). It gets extremely old after a while.
    Maybe it's more convenient to move the business to where most of the employees live rather than to Detroit because it's where YOU want to be?

General Dynamics has oppenings in Detroit, try :
    http://www.gdcareers.com/gdchq_jobs/...arch&view=list

One IT .