Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Riverwalk grant

Default Riverwalk grant

OK, a question for all of you... the Freep reported yesterday a grant to help complete the Riverwalk, but the grant is very small and the "2 miles from Joe Louis to the Ambassador Bridge" remains undone.

What the Freep didn't say is... what exactly is this grant going to accomplish? In other words, what part of the Riverwalk will be complete now, that wasn't already complete?

Anyone have any idea?

This is just a totally unsubstantiated guess, but it could be the portion that is torn up where they are finishing the port. But, honestly, I don't know.

The freep reported on a small enhancement grant that was recently awarded for work around the Port Authority building. What astounds me is that nothing was said about the $30 million being approved for the riverwalk as part of current SEMCOG's TIP amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    This is just a totally unsubstantiated guess, but it could be the portion that is torn up where they are finishing the port. But, honestly, I don't know.
    That's correct as far as I know. I blogged a little about it.
    http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2010/11/1...ancement-grant

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    That's correct as far as I know. I blogged a little about it.
    http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2010/11/1...ancement-grant
    Even a broken clock like me is right twice a day.

Does anyone knows when the terminal is set to open? I had walked past the site today and work was still being done. Some of the ceiling tile is still missing inside.

They edited the original article that was posted. They made it clear in the edited article that the grant would help complete the portion in front of the new dock.

It still amazes me how politics had gotten in the way of projects such as this one. The terminal should had been completed a year ago. Atwater Street that is just getting it's sidewalk laid down should had been completed last summer. The Dequindre cut is still closed on the weekdays for NOW something else is being worked on under the Larned bridge. I think that the persons who are handling these projects doesn't know what they are doing or monies are being used somewhere else instead of it's intended purpose.If raising money for a "designed sidwalk", then make it plan and practical looking. You will get the job done faster without extra money needed for some unique design.