Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Mista Alan Guest

Default STEVE WILSON: Detroit Pub School's 33 Million Dollar Waste

A real eye-opener from Steve Wilson tonight. 33 million bucks in top of the line TV equipment for DPS that's been locked up for 4 years. I wonder how many schools 33 million could keep open?

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/WILSO...WFbtDQrqA.cspx

LodgeDodger Guest

I just love that guy!

'Mr. Mayor, please don't hurt me!'

Retroit Guest

With all the difficulty that the DPS has in educating children, I wonder what made them think that a $33 million television studio would be helpful?

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I just love that guy!

'Mr. Mayor, please don't hurt me!'
    Then why don't you marry him. LOL.

What I found disturbing was the exclusive relationship between DPS and DPTV and the ignorance of the school administrator who didn't seem to be aware of the equipment the school had.

Man, is their ANY competence in the city?
    *sigh*

We need a half dozen more Steve Wilsons.

Mista Alan Guest

Appointment tv!

Yeah of course there is never any scandal and wrong doing in suburban school districts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Yeah of course there is never any scandal and wrong doing in suburban school districts.....
    what the hell does that have to do with anything? you all need to get the F over this city vs suburbs BS. if a suburban school district where to misappropriate funds it wouldn't make it any more acceptable for detroit to do so!

"With all the difficulty that the DPS has in educating children, I wonder what made them think that a $33 million television studio would be helpful?"

Actually, I can't think of a better place for a 33 million dollar television studio. One of the failures of public education, imho, is the failure to offer multiple models of storytelling. Sure, knowing how to write an essay is important, but a society that is increasingly driven by visual storytelling should be offering it's young people something more than essay writing. And knowledge of how to operate the equipment in a TV Studio actually can lead into many different jobs....

Obviously, such a facility belongs in a working school, not in storage. Of course, this kind of shit has been going on since I was a DPS student, decades ago, so I agree that it's infuriating.

Still, if we're going to talk about public education spending fiascos, nothing tops LAUSD and the Belmont HS fiasco.

More about the most expensive high school in the the history of mankind here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=94332505

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Good point! Here in Macomb County the school district are up to their ears in cases of toilet paper!

My students are currently experimenting with reporting the news, on camera and broadcast [[in school). Right now, I am making the DVDs but it sure would be nice if my kids were able to do the entire production. They are doing the filming, writing, performing but it's up to me to edit, create and make the DVD to play for the school [[I have a computer that has this capability, where the school's computers do not). I'd take in my laptop and let the kids do it but I've already had one laptop come up missing from work...it would be nice if we had equipment in the building to do some more creative things with the kids.

OK...so I'd be happy to have more books...let a gal dream, eh?

Mista Alan Guest

I wonder how much they could have rented those facilities for over the last four years.