Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default M.C.D.H. << what was this?

Looking for info about M.C.D.H.
    not to be confused with the M.D.C.H [[Michigan Department of Community Health) which is what I get when I google it?

Attachment 7746

Attachment 7747

Hoping someone may have a clue what this was or where it might have come from?
    I'm wondering if this could have been from a long gone Detroit hotel? Thanks

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtoplover59 View Post
    Looking for info about M.C.D.H.
    not to be confused with the M.D.C.H [[Michigan Department of Community Health) which is what I get when I google it?

Attachment 7746

Attachment 7747

Any marks on the bottom?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtoplover59 View Post
    Hotel
    Hospital
    House

What material is it made of and what do think it's purpose was? Functional piece such as a pitcher in a hotel or ceremonial such as a trophie.

Any idea how old it may be?

C = Center? Central? College?

Michigan Central Depot Hotel?

What makes you think that's not it?

What does the inside look like?

I'm thinking something from a ship... ??

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    What material is it made of and what do think it's purpose was? Functional piece such as a pitcher in a hotel or ceremonial such as a trophie.
    It's a beer stein.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Hotel
    Hospital
    House
    Home
    Huron
    Health

definitely looks commercial/institutional
    Last edited by lilpup; November-09-10 at 12:41 AM.

looks like a award of types in stein form. Looks like pewter so I lean towards it being decorative use only or possibly the dept of health reorgainzed its alpha order as it sure isnt decorative either..... umm, I dont know
    Last edited by n7hn; November-09-10 at 01:16 AM.

What's it like on the inside?

edit...Meddle already asked lol

Wiki says the Michigan Department of Community Health was created in 1996....so we can rule that out.
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; November-09-10 at 01:21 AM.

Michigan Community for Dental Health? Michigan Community of Dental Hospitals? just a guess.

Wiki says the Michigan Department of Community Health was created in 1996....so we can rule that out.

Oooooooooooooookay.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Oooooooooooooookay.
    What?

Ragtop said "not to be confused with the M.D.C.H [[Michigan Department of Community Health) which is what I get when I google it?"

YOU said "What makes you think that's not it?"

So I wiki'd it and that's what I came up with. That's it. Rulin' shit out.
    I don't know when the M.D.C.H was founded, Meddle. Please fill in the correct information on Wikipedia if you know what the facts are.

Oooooooooooookay?

Thanks.

edit......ooooooohhhhhh I see where I went wrong here. I'm an asshole LOL!
    Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; November-09-10 at 02:21 AM.

always possible it migrated into the region too. Those letters could be for anything, anywhere.

This might spark some fresh thoughts:
    http://curleysden.wordpress.com/2009...up-beer-stein/

lilpup Guest

It doesn't have a date or name anywhere that's why I suspect it's commercial/institutional use and not a commemorative. And it looks like an older stenciled typeface, not a modern one.

RagTopLover, are there any marks anywhere that might be maker-marks?

And where/how did you acquire the stein?

Motor City Dick Heads?

AcronymFinder.com didn't show anything promising.

I posted this for a friend, I think he picked it up at an estate sale.
    He signed up for this forum a couple years ago, but I guess he is having a hard time understanding how to get in? He emailed me that he would try to find this page and answer your questions.....I guess he is having difficulty getting in here?
    I do not know personally of any other markings, I have only seen these same pics?
    I will email him and see what else he can tell us, Thanks for all the ideals on this so far.

SWMAP, that seems very close to me, but like lilpup, I would think there would be some more markings of some kind.

EastsideAL," Michigan Central Depot Hotel " was exactly what he was hoping for. But I knew it would take the power of the people in this forum, to tell us if there was such a thing? LOL

Thanks everyone!

A couple of acronym websites listed it as an abbreviation for an advanced dental degree: Master of Community Dental Health. Perhaps an item to commemorate graduation from the University of Detroit School of Dentistry?

I checked the 1863, 1875 and 1895 Polk Detroit directories and there wasn't a listing for a Michigan Central Depot Hotel in the business sections or in the regular listings or a mention of a hotel in the Michigan Central ads. Didn't find any mention of it in the limited view of Detroit's Historic Drinking Establishments either.
    Last edited by Brock7; November-09-10 at 07:24 PM.

I think Eastside Al was just conjecturing as to what the initials could be, not that that's a real hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think Eastside Al was just conjecturing as to what the initials could be, not that that's a real hotel.
    Correct. Purely a conjecture. And, like Brock, one I can't find any documented support for.

And I agree with lilpup that the lettering looks pretty old. Pre-20th century would be my guess [[But what the hell do I know? I came up with "Michigan Central Depot Hotel"...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast