Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Midtown Loop Photos Nov 8th.

Photos taken from Phase 1 of the Midtown Loop.

Attachment 7738

Attachment 7739

Attachment 7740

Attachment 7741

That's cool to see. How is it going for you at Wayne?

Stromberg2

whats the Midtown loop? I must be out of the loop [[pun completely intended)

Dabirch Guest

Where I am from, that call it a sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    whats the Midtown loop? I must be out of the loop [[pun completely intended)
    It's going to be a pedestrian and cycling greenway encircling Wayne. If you Google it there's some more info.

Nice pun.

While I think the project is kinda silly, I support anything that plants more trees along the sidewalk. Anyone ever try walking around the commercial areas in Detroit on a hot day? It's miserable without any shade.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It's going to be a pedestrian and cycling greenway encircling Wayne. If you Google it there's some more info.

Nice pun.
    thank you

I will check it out on google...

Yep. Its a sidewalk. The tore up trees and a good sidewalk outside the DIA to put in trees and a good sidewalk...

Loop? That's what they call a sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post

Upon further inspection I can safely say that that is indeed definately a sidewalk!

Default lmao

Yep, definitely a sidewalk.

Wayne State is going well, thanks. It is really nice that I can walk everywhere and do not need a car, even to go downtown. This "loop" looks much better in person. Come springtime, when the trees and the shrubs start to grow it will look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Yep. Its a sidewalk. The tore up trees and a good sidewalk outside the DIA to put in trees and a good sidewalk...
    Which trees were tore up, 1953? The Midtown Loop runs along the DIA's northern border at Kirby. Here's the before on Streetview and the after.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    The Midtown Loop consists of four main sidewalk segments. Combined, those sidewalks do form a loop.

I thought this was going to be a bit more advanced. Kind of shame.

The problem I see here is cyclists have to share the same surface with pedestrians. It shouldn't be like that.

But a sidewalk replacement is still nice, even if it's just that. It's beautifully landscaped too. But this is not for cyclists. It most definitely is not designed appropriately
    Last edited by wolverine; November-08-10 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I thought this was going to be a bit more advanced. Kind of shame.

The problem I see here is cyclists have to share the same surface with pedestrians. It shouldn't be like that.

But a sidewalk replacement is still nice, even if it's just that. It's beautifully landscaped too. But this is not for cyclists. It most definitely is not designed appropriately
    There ought to be bike lanes in the streets to complement the walking loop. As it is, Kirby, Cass, Canfield, and John R are all pretty friendly to cyclists. People ride their bikes on those streets every day.

Cooper, They are looking at bike lanes on some of those streets and others in the area.

Wolverine, I think a lot folks expected the a Dequindre Cut greenway, but that wasn't their design. It is a pedestrian facility that cyclists moving at pedestrian speeds might enjoy. I don't plan on using it. I'll stick to the streets.

The UCCA web site answers the question "What will the Midtown Loop do?" and it's not to serve bicyclists. Instead it's:

+ Reclaim right-of-way for pedestirans by creating a widened walkway;
    + Improve pedestrian crossings;
    + Use a variety of planting beds to safely separate pedestrians from vehicle traffic;
    + Add unique lighting to improve visibility and spotlight new developments along coures;
    + Help community reclaim much needed green space;
    + Contribute to the quality of life and the lifestyle of the community;
    + Reintroduce native vegetation;
    + Incorporate public art along the greenway;
    + Create an environment to help build a stong sense of place and community.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    Cooper, They are looking at bike lanes on some of those streets and others in the area.

Wolverine, I think a lot folks expected the a Dequindre Cut greenway, but that wasn't their design. It is a pedestrian facility that cyclists moving at pedestrian speeds might enjoy. I don't plan on using it. I'll stick to the streets.

The UCCA web site answers the question "What will the Midtown Loop do?" and it's not to serve bicyclists. Instead it's:

+ Reclaim right-of-way for pedestirans by creating a widened walkway;
    + Improve pedestrian crossings;
    + Use a variety of planting beds to safely separate pedestrians from vehicle traffic;
    + Add unique lighting to improve visibility and spotlight new developments along coures;
    + Help community reclaim much needed green space;
    + Contribute to the quality of life and the lifestyle of the community;
    + Reintroduce native vegetation;
    + Incorporate public art along the greenway;
    + Create an environment to help build a stong sense of place and community.
    Ah, ok. Well it certainly meets all those points. Really, it's a positive addition to the community.