Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bing wins!

lilpup Guest

Default Bing wins!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/BREAK...6uBuoNb_Q.cspx

I'll admit to being a little surprised. The polls didn't predict it and I didn't think he did well in the debates.

So now does Cockrel go immediately back to being Council President or do we still have to listen to MonCon?

If Bing & Cockrel can work together...

WOW! I didn't expect him to win either. I sure hope you are right and that Cockrel goes back to city council.

Good - Congratulations, and all that stuff.

Now get to work Mayor Bing. There is plenty to be done.

So we take Bing for a test drive for a few months, then decide if we want him back or KC back or whoever's behind Door #3. Sounds OK.

blksoul_x Guest

Evoking the prophetic sentiments of the ex-great Mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick....'THE STREETS HAVE SPOKEN'!

Black Fist Salute to our new Mayor, Mr. Dave Bing!

The streets are counting on you!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL...the color you love to hate!

I suspect that if Bing does anything close to what he has to do, the honeymoon with the streets will be one of the shortest lived since Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra.

Congratulations to Mayor Dave Bing. I wish him tremendous success in his tenure.

I must admit I am pretty aprehensive on this one... I just don't feel he really gets the city.... Not to mention the fact he is pro Moroun just like Kwame and his momma.... I just don't think it is a coincidence that Moroun filed the law suit today in hopes to gain the land with a bing government... He has the seat just long enough to make things worse in the D... I hope I am wrong....

I voted for Cockrel because I believed he should have the opportunity to finish out Kilpatrick's term. I had a strong feeling that he would lose because there was too much support for Bing at the end.

Cockrel lost because there are forces in the city and out of the city that hate Monica Conyers and since Kilpatrick was given the boot there has been a vacuum in Detroit. Cockrel might had been the interm mayor but M. Conyers has acted liked the "de facto" mayor. Her name and face was in the media more than the former interm mayor. The Cobo deal really made Cockrel look weak in the eyes of many who look to the mayor as a strong figure.

I wish for the best for Mayor-elect Bing and to the city of Detroit.

P.S.
    It got to suck being Ken Cockrel. Having to go back to the City Council chamber where they rip him a new one for vetoing their resolution.

Urban,

Most sane people don't "get this city." Let's hope that he can use his leadership to move this disaster of a a historical relic towards a human civilization that we can celebrate.

Public Safety, transportation, refuse collection, street lighting and the schools. If a mayor can do those things really well, I think the "streets" will eventually forgive whatever sacrifices had to be made to do them. Of course the mayor can't really do anything about the schools, yet.

He could promote vouchers and further development of the charter schools that I think he has already endorsed.

13. Default

Congrats Mayor Bing! Hopefully the fresh break offered by an outsider will work well for the Detroit we love and care about so much.

I hope former Mayor Cockerel, who was a good and viable candidate, will join in making Council a partner with the new Mayor.

[Now I will resume eating my hat because I didn't think Bing had a chance.]

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    Evoking the prophetic sentiments of the ex-great Mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick....'THE STREETS HAVE SPOKEN'!

Black Fist Salute to our new Mayor, Mr. Dave Bing!

The streets are counting on you!
    'cuz Dave Bing keeps it so real?

Buy American Guest

They will have to carry Monica out of council chambers kicking and screaming!

I am glad that Bing won, but I worry how successful he can be. After all, the clowncil is sill the same. Things will get better once there is a good decent mayor and a city council that has the best interests of the city in mind and the willingness to work with the mayor. The council just seems to be always working against the mayor and is more interested in the publicity they receive for acting [[or should I say being) stupid.

KC has to be careful. If he acts as an obstructionist it'll be Bing and Hendrix facing off in November. I watched his concession speech and he came off as somewhat bitter. It's going to be interesting the see how the two of them interact over the next 6 months.
    Last edited by rjk; May-05-09 at 10:53 PM.

Well at least Cockrel will be at the helm of City Council again... that's gotta count for something.

I forgot.... is the election result immediate? What I mean is... does Bing take office 05/06/09?
    Last edited by Gistok; May-05-09 at 10:53 PM.

The next 7 months are gonna be interesting.

Trainman Guest

It's time for the new leader of Detroit to support Operation Bring Back SMART to Livonia and southeast Michigan in the Trainman website linked in DETROIT LINKS.

Please support this cause and get our leaders to act quickly to get coordinated 24 hour 7 day a week SMART bus service to downtown Detroit. This will help ensure the future of Cobo Hall and benefit us all as a region.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well at least Cockrel will be at the helm of City Council again... that's gotta count for something.

I forgot.... is the election result immediate? What I mean is... does Bing take office 05/06/09?
    Mayor-elect Bing will be sworn in as mayor this morrning.

MIRepublic Guest

Looks like Matty gets his second bridge, after all. That's what you get when 15% of the electorate turns out, with a good chunk of that being absentee.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-05-09 at 11:18 PM.

There's something comforting about knowing that a wise old man is going to be running things in Detroit for a change.

On a side note, I think Ken Cockrel is a great asset to the City of Detroit and I hope he makes his way back onto CC soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    So now does Cockrel go immediately back to being Council President or do we still have to listen to MonCon?
    Pretty sure his departure from CC counts as a resignation.

You normally can't work for two branches of government at the same time, so any time an executive succession scheme calls for a member of another branch of government to fill an executive vacancy, the law would require that the member officially resign from his old position prior to being sworn into his new position. Not sure how this is precisely spelled out in the city's charter, but that's a pretty standard concept whenever a government consists of various co-equal branches .

But all that would mean is that Ken would have to run for CC again in the fall.

How did the City Charter proposal work out?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast