Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Erich Goebel and The Flying Crowbars at Cadieux Cafe

Over the past few weeks, through blues and soul singer Buddy Smith, I've met a guitarist named Erich Goebel. I've been around his periphery for years, but never really got to know him.

This cat is an absolute treasure of talent...actually, after a discussion with one of his lifelong friends, I insist on using the term GIFTED. He is that good on the electric axe.

He mans the stage at the Cadieux Cafe roughly every other month with the ever-pixified uber-humorist bassist James and someone new to my perception, Prescott on drums. [[I'll get their last names as soon as Erich answers my e-mail)

I know he drops into the open mic at Nancy Whiskey often...but don't have any specific places to hear him until he decides to do the Cadieux again. I won't miss him there ever again, it was a raucous party last night.

It didn't hurt that my girlfriend ran into someone from work who came in to play some feather bowling...and I ran into a beautiful forumer [[and gossip foodie) doing the same in the next lane.

Cheers and more as I bask in the afterglow of an amazing evening!

Oh, and if things work out, he will accompany Buddy Smith on gigs here very soon. Our first rehearsal is Wednesday, and I'm expecting very good things.

We did a gig at the Southfield Public Library a few weeks back...with Erich on guitar, fabulous keyboardist Chris Codish, and two of Detroit Historical Musician Association's finest...Gary Simms on drums and Shandu King on percussion. [[for those who are unaware, the DHMA is the official name of the fellows more well known as the Funk Brothers, the solid studio professionals who backed some of your favorite Motown hits!)

It was setup by blues enthusiast/historian and photographer Don McGee, and not one of the fellows expected such a roomful of appreciative and loving folks in that conference room in the new library building in Southfield.

The performance ended up incredibly tight, and I got another decent recording of another piece of this trajectory of Buddy Smith's 'breakout year'...which he and I have been discussing and creating since I met him at the Bohemian National Home only a year and a half ago. It is my great honor to work with this amazing man at this time.

Cheers and more!
    Last edited by Gannon; November-07-10 at 12:36 PM.

Agreed. He is one of many Detroit area musicians who can smoke many "stars" off the stage. We need to promote these people more, while supporting them at venues like the Cadieux Cafe!

LodgeDodger Guest

I first heard Eric Goebel and the Flying Crowbars play last summer. You're right, he is an incredibly talented guitarist AND vocalist. I would love for Eric and Eliza Neals to team up together.

James Cloyd, Jr. is one hell of a bassist.

It WAS Cloyd...LOL...he has some strange picture on his Facebook page, damnit. Thanks, LD.

He can really play, and never breaks a sweat. He doesn't seem to ever be working at laying down such a gnarly groove, and has the most unique and persistent sense of humor around. He doesn't let up, and I've never seen him fail to win over even the toughest heckler or critic! One guy stopped him in mid-stream, as their humorous banter-tennis increased. Got him speechless twice, while the rest of us split out guys and shot beer out of our noses.

Their drummer is a humble fellow with a small but well-though out kit. I've never seen anyone dangle a large ride cymbal just above the kick drum like he does...thing must've been 24 or more inches in diameter. He went from some easy blues to keeping the complex juxtaposition between Erich and James' riffs throughout Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer's Blue Wind.

I've never, ever heard anyone attempt to cover that song. They didn't 'cover' it...they owned it. Throughout, Prescott weaved it all together with ease.

Like I said, I cannot miss these guys again. At $5, especially in that venue with their great kitchen and extraordinary beer selection...it is the best music value in town. And, like I said, a raucously good time.

I am looking forward to working with Erich through Buddy's endeavors, as well. Buddy is back together with the Detroit Historical Musicians Association, and they are putting together one hell of a series of shows. I'll detail more later. But Erich is right in the middle of it all...as well as working with Buddy in the studio. Some of the stuff they've already recorded is simply magic.

Gannon-see what you have missed by not being on the Eastside! Glad to have you on this side of town.!

re: James Cloyd

Ladies, ladies, do not rush the stage! Mr Cloyd will acknowledge your presence between sets...

LOL, yep...that's the man.

He came out to Buddy Smith's performance at the Southfield Public library...heckled and HID behind my girlfriend. She called him out, and wouldn't give him any slack. It was hilarious!

Found out later that Erich put him up to it...said we might need some gentle harassment to spice up the gig. He was right, the mostly elderly crowd loosened up and by the time Buddy sang Rock Grandma, Roll...they were dancin' in the aisles!

Let the Good Times Roll!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Gannon-see what you have missed by not being on the Eastside! Glad to have you on this side of town.!
    Pat,
    Funny how comfortable I'm beginning to get out here, too. The Eastside has always been like a foreign land to me, but now I don't even get creeped by the fish flies!

We're going to have to get together soon...but let's go give Skipper a tough time.

Cheers!

Ah, fishflies! Iridescent rascals that, thankfully, don't bite. Have you been to the Cadieux "Fishfly Festival"?

Oh Gawd, they CELEBRATE those little fuckers?!

I guess...their short lives are consumed by mating and eating and then getting smeared on the pavement.

It DOES sound like a party...

I grew up on the eastside and I don't remember the Cadieux Cafe having a fish fly festival. What I do remember is my husband, a westsider, freaking as he slid through the light at 9 & Jefferson while we were dating at their peak mating season.

I don't do the bar thing much anymore but I did see you noted Chris Codish, great musician. His Dad, Bob quite often shows up at his gigs. Bob is a noted music writer and well worth a sit down and chat. Check it out.

My pervasive first memory of the east side was driving to a frat brother's party in SCS, and having to drop into that 7Eleven on Jefferson by the MagMile...only to find the swarms of fish flies around their bright sign. I also slid as if I were on ice. A yucky lifelong memory, that was back in 1987 or 8!

As for last names, Erich replied to my e-note on Facebook. As we agreed, the F'in' Crowbars' bassist is James Cloyd, Jr., and their drummer is Perez Morris.

While I'm making corrections, the DHMA's percussionist is ShOndu Akiem. Time to get my ears checked again.

Cheers

Default Finally Made It Here

I highly recommend the Cadieux as a music venue. Check out the Soul Jazz Sunday jams and the jazz on Tuesday nights. I've been a fan of Goebel & co for some time now. Sometimes they host a jam at the New Way in Ferndale & Bobby Murray who is Etta James guitar player sits in. Good stuff!

I cannot be there this coming Friday night, but Erich and the gang will be playing at the Cadieux Cafe again.

Please drop in for some ass-kicking blues and some of the most fun you'll have all month.

Found out at the last minute yesterday that the Crowbars were playing again.

Caduiex sells Guinness Stout by the pitcher!

Yay, me.

They were in rare form once again last night...James told me of an article done by Michigan Public Radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uun-yYrX12I

Big fun, Keepin' the Blues Alive in Motown...

LodgeDodger Guest

betterhalf and I need to get over there to see them--soon. Definitely one of the best bands out there. I love Erich's voice.