Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What is the oldest thing you own?

Besides old coins, what is the oldest thing you own?

Off the top of my head I'd say my "oldest thing" is an 1800's [[i think), super heavy strongbox that I believe was used on stagecoaches to carry gold dust or other valuable stuff.

If anyone knows of a collector who might like to buy it, please let me know. It isn't very large...about 12x8x8", but it weighs a lot. I purchased it a number of years ago at an estate auction of a person who collected Western memorabilia.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; May-05-09 at 07:25 PM.

I have a pair of silver souvineer spoons with the image of the soldiers memorial, from campus martis. My guess is that there from around the 1870's

I love old things, there is such a fascinating variety. The oldest piece we have is a blue pressed glass celery glass that belonged to my great great grandmother, probably in the 1850s or 1860s.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-05-09 at 08:14 PM.

The original tintype of my great grandmother, Hannah Nichols Redfield, taken following her wedding day on October 13, 1859. Taken in Twinsburg, Ohio. Right after their wedding the left for Kansas, where they spent the remainder of their lives. She died in 1907.
    Attachment 1025

I have copies of older photos, but this one is the original.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

The oldest thing that I own that was purchased new is a Panasonic quadrophonic stereo radio/.tuner with earnings from my first FT job out of HS in 1974. Still in excellent condition, works perfectly, however the four speakers and combo 8 track/turntable unit that it came with are long gone.

The oldest thing that I own that I did not purchase new is a round oak table, circa late 1800s.

I own a woodcut by Aegidius Sadeler [[1570-1629) and an apothecary scale from the early 1800's.

My sister owns a real treasure, a telescope made by Jesse Ramsden [[1731-1800). Our Dad bought the telescope in an antique shop in Detroit in the 1950's.

I have a "St. Clement Aid Society" ribbon that my great-great grandfather wore to church about 140 years ago. He and many of the founding families of St. Clement Parish in Center Line were German immigrants and that is why the printing on the ribbon is in German. The ribbon is reversible with the same inscription in gold on the reverse side, which has a field of red. Next to the ribbon in the image below is a 129 year old pane of stained glass from the St. Clement Church which was built in 1880 and demolished in 1967. The wreckers weren't very careful when they tried to remove the complete stained windows and this pane came from one of the windows which was damaged.

I've got some rocks that are about 3,500,000,000 years old.

I win.

^^ha ha^^

I also have stained glass from Our Lady of Help church [[1867-1968), I think was either on McDougal or Fort Street. Parents were married there in 1949.

I had to think about this one. My house was built in 1915, I collect mission rockers, but the oldest thing is probably a fossilized sharks tooth I ware on a chain around my neck.

I have my great-grandfathers sheriff badge. He was sheriff of Shelby County, OH back in the later 1800s.

LodgeDodger Guest

Wow, she bears a strong resemblance to the woman in "Gone With The Wind". Dress, too.

She really was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Wow, she bears a strong resemblance to the woman in "Gone With The Wind". Dress, too.

She really was lovely.
    Thanks, Dodger. I've had that thought comparing to GWTW myself. I have gt grandpa's similar photo taken at the same time, but it's just a copy, not the original tintype. The original has been lost to the march of time somewhere.

I've got a flashlight collection that goes back to about 1915.

My wife... 1946

A first edition of "Love of Life & Other Stories" by Jack London. 1907

I think that's the only thing I own that's older than I am.

A knewl post from a house in Saginaw dating to 1886. It is mahogany.

I was going to say my birth certificate, but then I remembered that i have my grandfather's from 1897. I also have several ammonites that I think are from the Devonian Period [[which would make them about 350 million years old).

A gun from a member of the Purple Gang.

ccbatson Guest

Comic book[[s), circa 1939.

Very nice E.D. Nice detroit collectors item.

Grumpys on a roll with starting great threads.

My familys from Mississippi from way back. They had a pair of brass candlesticks during the civil war that they knew would be stolen from the Yanks when they invaded so they buried them and other valuables out on the farm land. After the war was over they dug them up. One of the candlesticks was broken but had it repaired. I own them.

ccbatson Guest

Oops, I forgot about a floor lamp from my grandmother from 1930.

I've got a house full of knob and tube wiring, 8" x 10" main beams and probably 20 coats of paint in places.

A pair of shoes carved for a wedding present for my grandfather from his father in about 1917. They were used for many years gardening on Beniteau across from Foch Jr. High in Detroit.

Attachment 1055

Thanks Django! Sometimes my old brain comes up with something worthwhile. I appreciate the compliment...coming from you it means a lot to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast