Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Newspaper stand

Default Newspaper stand

Does anyone remember the newspaper stand that was located on Woodward in front the location formerly know as the Kern Block? I think it was a large white shelter with red and blue stripes. I use to puchase magazines and newspaper from the vendor in the early 80s.

Is that where it was? I remember the place, but I thought it was over on Griswold. A block from my job, anyway. The old guy who ran it wore a newsboy hat. Late 60s.

There was one by the bus stop on Griswold 40 years ago.

Wasn't there one in the area of the First Federal Savings building? I seem to remember it being orange. This would have been late 60's......

My uncle & aunt had the news stand in the lobby of the First National building on Woodward just north of the CCB. They were such downtown fixtures that Mayor Cavanaugh visited them the day they retired. One of the Detroit papers ran a big article about their retirement.

I remember the newspaper stand there.it was on campus martius street.I used to catch the John R-Oakland VIA Nevada bus not too far from where it was located and had purchased newspapers from there while I waited for the DSR Bus.The bus shelter I waited in was actually HEATED!! Something you will never see nowadays.

I had remembered it being on the corner of Monroe and Woodward. There was a small island that it had sat on I think

Check this out from the Detroit News from their Michigan History web tab.
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=7