Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Special family event next weekend

My family is meeting a man who dedicated a book to my brother who died in Vietnam next week, He and his friend are coming in from New York, my family from across the country are coming in to meet him as well. Any suggestions for some fun Friday night Nov. 12th around town? Good music? We are going to the Motown Museum and some other sights in the day, any suggestions for early evening? Where should we go for the cap of the day? Thanks in advance for your suggestions, I want to honor this man with something sweet.

Qweek, I'm sorry for the loss of your brother so many years ago, it is a hole that can never be filled.

Assuming this man knew your brother pretty well, I'd try to take him to places your brother might have gone. But maybe that can't happen because everything is gone. Then take him to the stand-bys like the DIA, Greenfield Village, etc... but make getting there interesting: rent him a classic car to tool around in. Let him drive a car he would have dreamt of when he was a young guy. A '67 Mustang? A '71 Camero?I know there are place that rent classic cars, just can't think of any right now. ....but maybe someone else can make a suggestion.

As far as making a big impression: Coach Insignia. With its location on top of the Ren Cen, nothing compares to that view. It is a Matt Prentis place and the food is good and expensive. Very expensive. If your entire family - 10 or more - is going you will drop a grand, easy.

To go the other way, and impress your guest with old fashion homeiness, the Ivanhoe aka the Polish Yacht Club can't be beat. It is tucked in on the eastside, off of Chene and features olde tyme food and atmosphere. Mainly atmosphere. The food is good, honest fare, but it ain't gormet.

The Dakota Inn on JohnR north of 6 Mile is also very old school. Again the atmosphere trumps the good german food, and the place can get pretty jovial with the sing-alongs. Kinda goofy and korny singing along with a bunch of strangers in a group karaoke to "My Merry Oldsmobile", but korny is fun and memorable.

Maybe other have better suggestions.

here I thought It was an invite....gee.... what a disappointment for me.

My only suggestions are not to over schedule and create stress and allow time for activities that members of the group express interest in that you may not be aware of now. Its surprising sometimes what people see themselves doing in a city they have only heard of or dont get too often. For Example when my sis came ot Los Angeles i lined up the beaches, Hollywood walk of fame, nightclubs, fancy eats and so on. Her requests were See a beach, no interest in going in it and going to the location of the first Trader Joe's..... that was it,

Have fun

Gnome,
    Interestingly this man never met my brother but credits him with saving his life. There is supposed to be some kind of press release, once that happens I'll tell more about it, really something. We are gathering together on Veterans Day to pay our respects then we'll get to know this very special man over the weekend. It's amazing how this all came about, my brothers death had a direct affect on this man and here forty years later we are learning of it. He was a Fortunate Soldier, this man.

Thanks for your suggestions, my brother in-law has a GTO, it would be cool to get him to drive him around a bit. I'm sending breakfast to his hotel room one morning, we are going to the Ren-Cen for drinks after we tour the City, he really wants to see the Motown Museum. I was hoping to hear of some great live music somewhere in Detroit next Friday night, so please if anyone has suggestions chime in. The Dakota sounds great, never been there..do we need reservations?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    here I thought It was an invite....gee.... what a disappointment for me.

My only suggestions are not to over schedule and create stress and allow time for activities that members of the group express interest in that you may not be aware of now. Its surprising sometimes what people see themselves doing in a city they have only heard of or dont get too often. For Example when my sis came ot Los Angeles i lined up the beaches, Hollywood walk of fame, nightclubs, fancy eats and so on. Her requests were See a beach, no interest in going in it and going to the location of the first Trader Joe's..... that was it,

Have fun
    Have fun, that's the plan, that's what my brother would want I'm sure.

Re: Greenfield Village. The village is closed for the season until reopening Dec. 4 and weekends for the Christmas holidays, then it's closed until spring. The museum and IMAX are always open year round. 9:30- 5:00. IMAX last showing is at 5:30, check for show times in the day. There's the Ford Rouge factory tours and an exhibit on George Washington Carver is currently in the museum.

Ok, looks like the press already got ahold of the story so I can let you in on the whole picture now.

http://newsblaze.com/story/201011031.../topstory.html

So, that's what is going on in my life this week, it's going to be something to have my whole family here and meet Pat.