Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Treasury Dept. moving to Detroit?

I heard on the radio today that the Michigan Dept. of Treasury may move to Detroit if Andy Dillon wants the job as state treasurer. He doesn't want to commute anymore to Lansing, so rumors are that Snyder would move the dept. to Detroit where the state apparently owns a building.
    More business for downtown?

The state already has a ton of offices in New Center. There are a couple of closed State Buildings in Corktown if you're interested in buying a skyscraper on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by swiburn View Post
    I heard on the radio today that the Michigan Dept. of Treasury may move to Detroit if Andy Dillon wants the job as state treasurer. He doesn't want to commute anymore to Lansing, so rumors are that Snyder would move the dept. to Detroit where the state apparently owns a building.
    That's awesome. Of course, the one operation that really ought to be moved to Detroit is the Michigan Lottery Commission.

Detroiters buy way more lottery tickets than anyone else. [[I think it's 80% of all lottery tickets sold in Michigan are sold in the Detroit area, if I recall correctly.) The MLC would barely exist if it weren't for us.

The least they could do, in return, is set up their offices in Detroit.

Feds also want to open first patent office outside of DC in Detroit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Feds also want to open first patent office outside of DC in Detroit too.
    Whoah! Why is that? Source?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...secretary-says

They say we're a candidate city because of how much manufacturing we do here. The federal government wants to open around a dozen offices around the country to help speed up the process of issuing patents, which could help increase our exports.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeme View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...secretary-says

They say we're a candidate city because of how much manufacturing we do here. The federal government wants to open around a dozen offices around the country to help speed up the process of issuing patents, which could help increase our exports.
    Thanks! This conspicuously coincides with Obama's trip to India, etc. Is Detroit on the federal radar for real? Yea!

I have been hearing this in DC for the past year....Detroit is def on the short list for the patent office due to being a major engineering center along with having an airport that has international reach. Also consider the Defense Corridor in Sterling Heights and Warren anchored by Tacom....that is a major force to be reckoned with in the world of gov. contracts and it will continue to grow.

Where would the location be?

The patent office issue was covered on Craig Fahle's show on WDET, as far as I remember.

I cannot get excited over all this Federal invasion...including the new IRS activity on Woodward Avenue, although I suspect it is to enforce the new HealthInsurance Slavery. From all reports from those working with them on the building out of the office space, the advance team is uncomfortable to the EXTREME to deal with...so if the trend continues, we've got a new team of megalomaniacs with too much power on the Detroit City tax rolls. Whoopie.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-07-10 at 09:59 AM.

It would be a terrible thing if jobs and positive attention came to Detroit, I agree.

So you must agree that the Health issue which went from Care to Insurance during the non-debate dialogue, and was rushed through and voted on largely without anyone reading the whole thing...is GOOD for America?!

It has NOTHING to do with insuring children get care, either. So don't give me that tripe. The only thing that will change is MORE fat cats at the top get fatter.

Funny thing...you're all about that, aren't you, Oldredfordette?! Chimin' in for the fat cats...

Both the move of the Michigan Treasury Dept., and a U.S. Patent Office would positively affect Detroit's position as a global city.

Gannon are you having an off day, or what??

Any government jobs coming to Detroit is GOOD... even if they're IRS, State Treasury, or Patent Office.... it won't negatively affect how you live in the city.

As for calling Oldredfordette being in cahoots with the "fat cats".... you... who has been on this forum since time immemorial [[like Oldredfordette)... know that if she's in cahoots with anyone it's... the unionized workers... and not these fat cats that you speak of.... don't make me invoke the "Anyone with 50 Posts and half a brain should know" rule on you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So you must agree that the Health issue which went from Care to Insurance during the non-debate dialogue, and was rushed through and voted on largely without anyone reading the whole thing...is GOOD for America?!

It has NOTHING to do with insuring children get care, either. So don't give me that tripe. The only thing that will change is MORE fat cats at the top get fatter.

Funny thing...you're all about that, aren't you, Oldredfordette?! Chimin' in for the fat cats...

Gannon, try not to be sillier than you usually are, okay? How could it be a bad thing if he got two big government employers in Detroit, with the accompanying good wages? As far as your paranoia about the Treasury department, I advise backing off on the coffee.

Hell, I'd like to see more Federal departments and bureaus spread throughout the USA. We have the technology today where an agency doesn't have to be in the direct DC/NoVA region to have an impact. I think other parts of the country should get to drink from the well. I know that Rober Byrd did a LOT to bring Fed jobs to WV....I wish our politicos would do the same. Move the Dept .of Labor to Detroit lol.

A splendid idea!

Much of the state's Treasury department already operate in Detroit out of Cadillac Place. This would likely just mean the adminstration would be moved into the building as well. Would be a good gesture to the city by Snyder as well - and it seems he wants that.

Move the state capital back to Detroit while your at it!

Some of these "rumors" should be stopped in their tracks before people take them seriously.

The governor of a state will not move an entire operation permanently just because a potential employee doesn't like the commute. C'mon, now!

This wouldnt be an entire operation - Treasury already has a significant presence.

Plus, it has happened before - AG Mike Cox worked out of the Detroit offices [[lives in Livionia) - that became the AG's HQ, though they kept staff in the Lansing offices.

Aren't the State Court of Appeal in Cadillac Centre as well?

And wasn't the State Supreme Court once housed in the Lafayette Building?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    That's awesome. Of course, the one operation that really ought to be moved to Detroit is the Michigan Lottery Commission.

Detroiters buy way more lottery tickets than anyone else. [[I think it's 80% of all lottery tickets sold in Michigan are sold in the Detroit area, if I recall correctly.) The MLC would barely exist if it weren't for us.

The least they could do, in return, is set up their offices in Detroit.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have a lottery office in the lobby of Cadillac Place?

Gannon,

Is that chemically induced "government is out to get you" paranoia that I detect?

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have a lottery office in the lobby of Cadillac Place?
    Detroit

Cadillac Place
    3060 W. Grand Boulevard
    Suite L-600
    Detroit, MI 48202
    Phone: 313-456-4040
    Fax: 313-456-4045

Office Hours: Monday - Friday
    7:45 AM - 4:45 PM Eastern Time

You are correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast