Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WTF is 'Interesterified" Soybean Oil?!

Ever read the ingredient listing on your foods?!

I am pretty insistent on knowing what goes into my body. [[much to the increasing chagrin of my lovely and amazingly patient partner)

But come ON now...Interesterified Soybean Oil...in Chicken Pot Pies!

It makes my mind reel trying to imagine what it may be...and then I wonder who the heck makes up these idiotic terms?

Is it the same group who creates new color names for paints, lipstick, and fingernail polish?!

I think this sort of abuse of language should be outlawed...at least with the ingredient listing on our foodstuffs.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; November-05-10 at 01:56 PM.

That will be the last Chicken Pot Pie I ever buy from a grocery store, and I cannot take anything they sell for granted ever again. Nor should you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interesterified_fat

The new fat that's WORSE than trans fat...

Good Lord...
    Last edited by Gannon; November-05-10 at 01:55 PM.

Hi Gannon:

Thanks for posting this -- I had never heard of that. Here are two more articles for you from a really great natural health website, Mercola.com:

Interesterified Fat -- Is It Worse than Trans Fat?
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...trans-fat.aspx

Companies Swapping Trans Fats for a Different But Also Dangerous Fat
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...erous-fat.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    At first I thought it was a Bushism, until I opened up the thread. I've found that the ingredients, quality, and "healthfulness" of much of their packaged and frozen food isn't much different than that of the "regular" grocery food chains, although the selections are different.

LDoolan Guest

Very interesting, I too have not heard of this before.

Thing is, one day they say something is bad, then the following week they say it's OK. Anymore I eat whatever, I figure everyone has to die of something, I may as well enjoy it.

Johnsmith,

I learned after posting that I had the source wrong, but I am with you on not trusting anyone now.

The pot pies were Marie Calendar's...not Trader Joe's as the original post said. I changed the wording to protect the potentially innocent, at least in this instance.

My cousin just asked me about nutrition on Facebook, she is taking a class on it and got confused. I made this listing for her in two posts, which I repeat here to add to the discussion [[I know it is verbose, I apologize in advance...this was out of my stream-of-unconsciousness):

Here are my basic rules.
    As a shortcut, you can simply study all of the current FDA requirements, and IGNORE them with all of your might.
    THEN, look up what the general consensus was fifty years ago, and do that.

Eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily...closest to distilled, or from a natural spring or mountain source that you trust.

ALL things nearest their natural state. Any pre-processing is subject to killing off the nutrients, including pasteurizing [[if not especially).

Learn about shared cow ownership. If not, Calder's Natural Whole Milk that you have to shake to keep mixed. While you're there, get some of their chocolate milk as a treat...you can freeze it to make fudge-cicles!

Buy LOCALLY-sourced produce and fruits when available, learn to CAN when they are plentiful and everyone is GIVING stuff away. Eastern Market in Detroit absolutely rules, but you have real farms near you, too.

If there is a nationally-recognized brand name stamped upon something, or UPC barcode, you MUST closely examine the label!

Anything potentially sourced from China should be treated as probable poison. Pet food, especially!

Show these to your teacher, and see how it lands. Perhaps you should WAIT until your final grade is filed.

Perform a study with your own home-grown herbs and veggies, with a small percentage using water that has been microwaved versus the same sourced water merely boiled...after BOTH have cooled, of course.

Learn what happens with the microwaving of food.

If a food label contains few recognizable REAL food ingredients, yet contains terms which would make you sweat during a chemistry exam...put it back on the shelf.

THEN I added:
    Oh, and Eryn...the number ONE rule for anything, also, is keep High Fructose Corn Syrup...now known as Corn Sugar...out of your body completely. NO EXCEPTIONS!

This means NO sodas except Faygo and Mexican Coke in glass bottles [[this means they use their original formulas with real cane sugar). NO diet sodas, ever. [[if you are addicted to diet Coke, replace it with 1/10th the quantity of Mexican Coke...and savor the flavor of every ounce...never take it for granted again!)

It also means no boxes of brightly-colored happy-designed label processed fauxfood, also...you can basically give UP on shopping anything but the perimeter of any grocery store!

Oh yeah, and if you ingest anything containing Aspertame, you should just kill yourself now. Look it up on the internet.

It should go without saying that ANYTHING with the words 'diet', 'low-calorie', or 'low-fat' must be avoided at all costs. You can be sure those will send you to the doctors within five years with some strange immune-system disorder.

FastFood isn't actually food. At all.

If your flour says Enriched...put it back and get real flour.

OH yeah, and now...if a product actually SAYS it is 'organic', you can put it back on the shelf.

Read Michael Pollan's excellent books, 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' and 'Botany of Desire'.

Read the first one AGAIN.

Go to the head of the class. You will thank me for this later!

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    Very interesting, I too have not heard of this before.

Thing is, one day they say something is bad, then the following week they say it's OK. Anymore I eat whatever, I figure everyone has to die of something, I may as well enjoy it.
    That is why I say to fully ignore anything and everything the Food & Drug Administration says. It only induces confusion trying to keep up with whichever industry lobbyist has bribed them the most this week.

I agree, we will all die...but I'm not in any rush. Plus, I despise being a part of their chemistry/cashgrab experiment. As best as I can tell, the FDAs main mission is to keep us all just sick enough to clamor for so-called Health Insurance instead of actually expecting to BE healthy. They string us along just enough to empty our bank accounts, that has been the trend of everyone I've known who's died in the past ten years.

Those last, expensive two-or-three days of scrambling to delay a person's last breath, seem to be designed to INSURE that no accumulated wealth gets passed onto the next generation. I will gladly entertain any argument to the contrary!

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; November-05-10 at 02:40 PM.

and finally [[I hope):

Eryn,
    One more...make sure you drink quantities of a pure form of Vitamin C, also. My favorite is Tropicana's Grovestand [[without any type of Calcium or Vitamin D additives). It is often on sale at the Meijer down by Terri & Tim's...Dix between Northline and I-75.

Look up Dr. Stanley Burrough's Master Cleanse lemonade, and do this once or twice a year. It sounds odd to 'do' lemonade...but it is a structured 'fast'. If anyone ever tells you fasting is not healthy, never listen to their advice ever again.

It is a PROVEN fact that missing a few meals per week makes you live longer. Never eat according to the clock, or just because it is 'time'. Eat when you get hunger pain. When you merely 'feel' hungry, well before the gnawing pain arrives, drink one of those glasses of GOOD and living water. Thirst is often mistaken for the body as hunger...and you should never have dry mouth or chapped skin, both are symptoms of dehydration.

Eliminate flouride toothpaste. There are one or two brands without it currently on the market, you will have to go to a health store.

Stop drinking tap water, and those little charcoal [[like Brita) water filters are basically for fashion, they do little to actually filter out the bad stuff in our tap water.

Look up Pi water...or some call it LIVING water. There are ways of making it cheaply at home...and you, your pets, and your plants will be much better off drinking it.

I haven't had it in a while, but substitute distilled water instead. Some say it causes deficiencies in minerals...but I've been drinking nothing but for nearly 15 years. I don't look anything like the 47 years old that I'm supposed to be this year.

Eat as little meat as possible, especially that sourced from someone you don't know. Factory pork may be really, really bad now...I had a terribly strange dream about it recently. I am avoiding it like HFCS now.

I think I'm done!

LDoolan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Those last, expensive two-or-three days of scrambling to delay a person's last breath, seem to be designed to INSURE that no accumulated wealth gets passed onto the next generation. I will gladly entertain any argument to the contrary!

Cheers
    I agree 100%! I can't believe the prices hospitals charge for things like aspirins, gauze etc. They buy the stuff wholesale so you'd figure they'd pass on the savings to the customer. I bet they have a large quantity of Vaseline too.

While on a trip one year, I had to make a visit to the ER. As I walked into the lobby, I noticed the marble floors & mahogany paneling. The receptionist asked if she cold help me. I told her "You sure can, where's the nearest hospital? I can't afford to get treatment here."

LDoolan Guest

Gannon-

Double posting here, but I read your thing on Aspertame. Did you catch the episode of Coast to Coast AM where they used a good portion of the show to discuss Aspertame? It was damn interesting.

So our government allows that to me illegal but still spends billions to keep marijuana illegal. Interesting.

Gannon, I thought that maybe you had bought something off the discount rack made in China with a bad translation. Thanks for the heads up. On the plus side, if they could figure out a way to make food out of coal, then we wouldn't have to burn it.

Speaking of Frankenfoods-
    Monsanto-Funded Candidates Win Races

I'm getting the urge to photoshop an ingredient list to add "yellow snow."

[[Coal tar dyes are used in some food colorings.)

I would LOVE to have a comprehensive listing of the pesticides, fertilizers, pharmaceuticals, and food additives derived from oil and coal.

It would make identifying the corporate capitalist poisoning of the populace THAT much easier to track.

Anyone? Bueller?!

Bueller?!