Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sidewalk Vendors in Detroit

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101103/BIZ/11030331/

Apparently, there is a proposal to ease restrictions on street vending. I am not sure how I feel about this. One part of me thinks that more sidewalk vendors would add life to the street-scene and give some people an opportunity to earn a living. Another part of me thinks that it makes the city look like a flea-market and many people find street vendors annoying. Some vendors can also be pushy or obnoxious when they persist in selling you something that you have zero interest in buying. When I was in Manhattan, some of the street vending was overwhelming and irritating. What do you all think? I am not really opposed to it, IF they can actually limit the number of vendors and restrict them to specific streets. There shouldn't be any vendors outside of historical places like the DIA or out in front of the RenCen. They also shouldn't be allowed to set up directly outside of stadium and entertainment venues. Today, I walked past a lady selling jewelry from a card table on Woodward in front of the old Hudson's site. This didn't bother me whatsoever, but if there were 30 vendors chasing me down with a bunch of fake Rolex watches and Italian pleather wallets, it'd be a major turn-off.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-04-10 at 10:39 PM.

I patronize Hot Dog carts here in the burbs,As for people selling fake rolex watches and that I would not be buying that sorta stuff. Here or in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I patronize Hot Dog carts here in the burbs,As for people selling fake rolex watches and that I would not be buying that sorta stuff. Here or in the city.
    Where are there hot dog carts in the 'burbs? Royal Oak? Birmingham?

There should be a certain street where the vendors are allowed to push their merchandise. New York had China Town where canal street was the location where most of the street vendors congregate. Detroit has many locations that could be designated for street vendors. The sidewalk in front of Gratiot Central Market on Gratiot, Iron Street off Jefferson near Harbortown strip mall, Orelean Street in the Eastern Market area, etc. These are locations where there are other events going on such as shopping at the Eastern Market or isolated location away from the main businesse district. I would say that a warehouse near downtown could be use for the vendors where they pay minimal charge for the space to help pay for the running of the building

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20101103/BIZ/11030331/

Apparently, there is a proposal to ease restrictions on street vending.

I think it's a very bad idea. There's tonnes of vacant commercial storefronts on streets like Woodward that are less likely going to be rented because they're in direct competition with street vendors that don't pay rent or property taxes. Street vendors don't have the same overhead unless they are paying rent and property taxes. It's also a kick in the face to the investor who took a chance on downtown and opened the Shops at Kresges [[with plenty of room for expansion) for smalltime vendors that's almost vacant. It would put him out of business.

And, they already have a place for street vending in downtown that doesn't interfere with the CBD called Eastern Market.

there should be a street vending district and it should be very pedestrian and bike-friendly.. expand eastern market, etc.

I believe that Eastern Market management wants to make money and effect control over what vendors sell. The people on the overpass, led by Raheem, want special rules and fees for themselves [[because they are an oppressed people) and they say they were promised such by [[think) Mayor Coleman Young. They don't sell fruit/vegetables/ crafts [[which the Market managers keep organized together and crafts not in the main sheds); they sell incense, shea butter, African wear, etc. They say that they are being shut out of the Market by pricing and rules on what can be sold in the Market.
    Anyway, Eastern Market is at the center of the issue.

Having lived in New York for 32 years, non-food sidewalk vending had its uses: cheap [[1 time use) umbrellas for sudden rainy days; cheap gloves, scarves, and hats for cold days; cheap & illegal [[and sometimes badly made) DVD's and CD's of just released movies/albums. Basically, an industry for customers who forgot stuff at home or wanted cheap entertainment. I don't think these kinds of vendors could really survive in Detroit because there just isn't as much "foot traffic" - that's why the "Eastern Market Bridge/Overpass" folks are located at a spot where there's a little more foot traffic for the Gratiot Meat Market. How many gloves is a guy going to sell at Michigan Ave/Woodward to keep himself afloat?

Where vending could really benefit the community [[and themselves) is in diversified food vending. You could buy ANYTHING off a food cart in New York City [[pizza; middle eastern food; soup; tacos; sausages & peppers etc etc) - and those vendors keep a clean cart because: A) people give them 1 try and if they food sucks, they're outta business; B) they're competing with 2-3 other food carts nearby. True, food vendors would cause lower business in "brick & mortar" luncheon food establishments, but that's competition for you... provide a product people want at a price they're happy with and you should do well...

The question always comes down to "foot traffic" and convenience. The food business for the CBD is basically a lunch crowd... can you pull people off their asses and out of their office buildings to walk a few blocks to go to a food vendor they like? The few food vendors I've seen downtown sell hotdogs [[tube-steaks; gutter-dogs...) but if you diversified the offerings: like how Russell Street Deli sells their delicious soups from a stand at Eastern Market... then interest in Food Vending would go up.

I'd love to see a few carts rolling in from Mexicantown restaurants for lunchtime. Established "brick & mortar" shops in Hamtramck and Mexicantown providing food [[and advertising for their stores) off of CBD food carts could work nicely...

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPetanque View Post
    I'd love to see a few carts rolling in from Mexicantown restaurants for lunchtime. Established "brick & mortar" shops in Hamtramck and Mexicantown providing food [[and advertising for their stores) off of CBD food carts could work nicely...
    I love that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPetanque View Post
    Having lived in New York for 32 years, non-food sidewalk vending had its uses: cheap [[1 time use) umbrellas for sudden rainy days; cheap gloves, scarves, and hats for cold days; cheap & illegal [[and sometimes badly made) DVD's and CD's of just released movies/albums. Basically, an industry for customers who forgot stuff at home or wanted cheap entertainment. I don't think these kinds of vendors could really survive in Detroit because there just isn't as much "foot traffic" - that's why the "Eastern Market Bridge/Overpass" folks are located at a spot where there's a little more foot traffic for the Gratiot Meat Market. How many gloves is a guy going to sell at Michigan Ave/Woodward to keep himself afloat?
    This is why I believe it shouldn't be overly-restricted. Put in the proper limitations for safety and reasonable aesthetics. Let the free market take care of the rest.