Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Stimulus Money for SS recipients

If there are any folks here who receive Social Security and will be getting the $250 stimulus money this month, I'm curious to know if anyone has had it show up in their bank account yet?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    If there are any folks here who receive Social Security and will be getting the $250 stimulus money this month, I'm curious to know if anyone has had it show up in their bank account yet?
    I'm anticipating it; will post a note when/if/should it arrive.

ccbatson Guest

Why not cut out the middle man and take less away from those earning it instead of "graciously" refunding it later? It is called tax cuts.

I'm getting mine, the wife is getting hers. Eat your heart out, Bats.

ccbatson Guest

As I was suggesting, I am all in favor of people keeping what is theirs. I resent the gratitude given to people who plan to take more and more of it away, and occasionally throw a very inadequate bone their way in exchange for more power/votes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    As I was suggesting, I am all in favor of people keeping what is theirs. I resent the gratitude given to people who plan to take more and more of it away, and occasionally throw a very inadequate bone their way in exchange for more power/votes.
    Hey, not all of us are able to get paid by Medicare/medicaid and bitch about it!

Why not cut out the middle man and take less away from those earning it instead of "graciously" refunding it later? It is called tax cuts.
    Because then those who no longer are able to still be "earning it" due to job loss, disability, or retirement would ALSO have to be "cut out" to make up for the loss of federal funds, if those tax cuts that conservatives demand and the RWers who claim will create millions of new jobs, would only be given to those who are still earning it.

Never mind that many who are now being "refunded" had FICA deductions taken out of their paychecks during their ENTIRE working lives, as they can just simply return to the workforce because of all of those unfilled and high paying jobs that were created from the wildly successful supply-side and trickle down economic incentives and federal tax loopholes that the corporate capitalists have enjoyed since the Reagan era of the 80s.

I just checked my bank account online, and mine shows up as a pending deposit set to post today. I don't know if the date that your SS goes into the bank makes a difference or not. My husband's hasn't show up yet...he gets his SS the second Wednesday of the month. I get mine on the 3rd of the month.

Received my $250 SS payment today. [[I am on LTD.)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Do you understand what Social Security is for? What would tax cuts help to someone on a fixed income who isn't paying taxes now?
    Actually, 85% of social security benefits are taxable for anyone with other income over $25,000 single or $32,000 married. That includes a lot of retired folks with even modest pensions and some savings.

Based on the amount of electricity I purchase, the percentage generated from coal and natural gas, and the percentage of my electric bill attributed to fuel costs, I will be paying approximately $312 more annually when President Obama launches his proposed middle class cap and trade tax. The Obama middle class tax cuts, financed with money borrowed from our grandchildren, will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Based on the amount of electricity I purchase, the percentage generated from coal and natural gas, and the percentage of my electric bill attributed to fuel costs, I will be paying approximately $312 more annually when President Obama launches his proposed middle class cap and trade tax. The Obama middle class tax cuts, financed with money borrowed from our grandchildren, will come in handy.
    and where did you get those figures?

The above quote is of course completely off topic, and I don't recall reading a post from you regarding the Bush tax cuts of '01 and '03, which according to some estimates would reach 4+ trillion in lost federal revenue by 2018 if they were made permanent. I have little doubt that a McCain administration would have pressed Congress to do just that.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1018
    Last edited by Flanders; May-07-09 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    The above quote is of course completely off topic, and I don't recall reading a post from you regarding the Bush tax cuts of '01 and '03, which according to some estimates would reach 4+ trillion in lost federal revenue by 2018 if they were made permanent. I have little doubt that a McCain administration would have pressed Congress to do just that.
    Flanders, That's how I plan to spend the stimulus money President Obama is borrowing from our children. I totally agree with your completely off comment points regarding Bush and your speculation about McCain. If you would like for me to write something about Obama expanding idiotic things Bush did , I will do so.

Flanders, That's how I plan to spend the stimulus money President Obama is borrowing from our children. I totally agree with your completely off comment points regarding Bush and your speculation about McCain. If you would like for me to write something about Obama expanding idiotic things Bush did , I will do so.
    My wife and I were married a year before Bush was elected to office, and we decided NOT to have any children after he was [[s)elected, even though we both had always believed that we would become parents someday.

It turned out, at least in our case, to be a very wise decision, considering that I became disabled halfway through his second term of office, and now am completely dependent upon my monthly disability checks from my employer and SS, and my wife lost her longtime career job when it was outsourced to India a mere two weeks after I applied for disability. She is now working PT for minimum wage, at a job with high turnover, no benefits, and no wage increases.

So obviously we are in favor of whatever "stimulus" assistance that we can obtain from President Obama, and in fact my wife just brought in the mail and my $250.00 SS stimulus check. Yay, we can finally catch up with our long past due cable bill and get our service restored after 6 months!!

Last edited by Flanders; May-07-09 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Actually, 85% of social security benefits are taxable for anyone with other income over $25,000 single or $32,000 married. That includes a lot of retired folks with even modest pensions and some savings.
    Yep, that's me. I still paid Uncle a four-figure amount due to income other than SS [[Pension and investments). And I have no problem wth it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yep, that's me. I still paid Uncle a four-figure amount due to income other than SS [[Pension and investments). And I have no problem wth it, either.
    That will be me too, Ray, whenever I start receiving SS. I will become eligible in a couple of months, but haven't yet decided if I will start.

ccbatson Guest

I was being circuitous to make a point that the Nanny State entitlement programs are worse than the free market system and individual responsibility.

I was being circuitous to make a point that the Nanny State entitlement programs are worse than the free market system and individual responsibility.
    Umm, under a free market system, there would be no social security, since its part of the "nanny state", as you call it.

ccbatson Guest

EXACTLY...that is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    My wife and I were married a year before Bush was elected to office, and we decided NOT to have any children after he was [[s)elected, even though we both had always believed that we would become parents someday.

It turned out, at least in our case, to be a very wise decision, considering that I became disabled halfway through his second term of office, and now am completely dependent upon my monthly disability checks from my employer and SS, and my wife lost her longtime career job when it was outsourced to India a mere two weeks after I applied for disability. She is now working PT for minimum wage, at a job with high turnover, no benefits, and no wage increases.

So obviously we are in favor of whatever "stimulus" assistance that we can obtain from President Obama, and in fact my wife just brought in the mail and my $250.00 SS stimulus check. Yay, we can finally catch up with our long past due cable bill and get our service restored after 6 months!!

THANK YOU! FINALLY SOMEONE WHOM CAN APPRECIATE WHAT OBAMA IS DOING TO AT LEAST EASE UP SOME OF THE HARDSHIP THAT HAS BEEN PLACED ON THE PEOPLE OF OUR NATION.
    I personally am not old enough to receive this payment but my parents both will be getting it and I'm sure it will be appreciated. I am happy for them. I two could appreciate a stimulus payment particularily since I have not received a pay increase in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    THANK YOU! FINALLY SOMEONE WHOM CAN APPRECIATE WHAT OBAMA IS DOING TO AT LEAST EASE UP SOME OF THE HARDSHIP THAT HAS BEEN PLACED ON THE PEOPLE OF OUR NATION.
    I personally am not old enough to receive this payment but my parents both will be getting it and I'm sure it will be appreciated. I am happy for them. I two could appreciate a stimulus payment particularily since I have not received a pay increase in five years.
    The hardships have been largely caused by govcorp policies. You should thank your children and grandchildren who are the ones who will have to shoulder the burden of paying back these appreciated hand-outs. Alternatively, we will all have to pay because the resulting inflation, and it is coming, will destroy much of the spending power of our dollars. Enjoy.

Do some research, the spending power of the US Dollar has been down. If its not equal to that of the candians, its below it. This didn't just begin with Obama and his spending. If you honestly think this all happened within his first 100 days in office, you are twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Do some research, the spending power of the US Dollar has been down. If its not equal to that of the candians, its below it. This didn't just begin with Obama and his spending. If you honestly think this all happened within his first 100 days in office, you are twisted.
    Actually, US$1.00 gets you C$1.15 today [[or C$1.00 gets you US$0.87). A couple of weeks ago it was $1.22 and $0.82. A month or so before that it was $1.30 and $0.77.

ccbatson Guest

A good point exdetroiter, but not in the way you think. The horrible consequences of this spending will be felt later.