Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "The White Family"

For some reason, this seemed funny to me...

http://tinyurl.com/2vlm8s5

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 220hendrie1910 View Post
    For some reason, this seemed funny to me...

http://tinyurl.com/2vlm8s5
    Whoa, thought I was looking at the lower east side there for a second. On that and the surrounding blocks there must be 100 empty lots.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing why this is so funny. Is it because the "White Family" most likely isn't white? Is it because some people who live in 'the ghetto' are evidently proud of their family and their home? Is it because some people who live in an increasingly empty part of town chose to put a banner out on their porch advertising their presence?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing why this is so funny. Is it because the "White Family" most likely isn't white? Is it because some people who live in 'the ghetto' are evidently proud of their family and their home? Is it because some people who live in an increasingly empty part of town chose to put a banner out on their porch advertising their presence?
    Yep. All of the above.

It looks like there may be trolly tracks under that road. Any way to confirm? It would be an odd road to have a trolly on.

Those prolly aren't tracks. See, they don't plow the streets, so in the winter the only way the road gets cleared is from the weight of tires, which means you get two-track wear on the road from winter driving. The ice gets crushed into water, which then gets into the roadway and cracks it more. Repeat as necessary.

Prolly wasn't a trolly, on the white family street. I remember why I have laid off this site now!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Those prolly aren't tracks. See, they don't plow the streets, so in the winter the only way the road gets cleared is from the weight of tires, which means you get two-track wear on the road from winter driving. The ice gets crushed into water, which then gets into the roadway and cracks it more. Repeat as necessary.
    That actually makes total sense

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    That actually makes total sense
    It really does and that is also a bit sad, too.

I remember shoveling out our parking spot in front of the house, then putting a lawn chair there to try and stop people from parking there

I remember a few bloody noses over shoveled parking spots